Week 6 – Mon. Oct. 4

Homework Due Wed. Oct. 6th

1. Read “Wikipedia Pops Up in Bibliographies” by Larry Gordon and write a response to the questions below. Please respond to AT LEAST ONE CLASSMATE! 
    • What did you think of this text? Explain! Don’t worry if you don’t like it, you won’t hurt my feelings! Be honest! 
    • What is it mostly about? Write a 2-3 sentence summary. Be specific. Refer to the text itself. Use quotes even! 
    • What is the genre of the text? What is the tone?
    • Who do you think is the intended audience of the piece? Who is meant to read this text?
    • What do you think is the purpose of this text? Why do you think the author wrote it?
    • What about using Wikipedia? When is it a good idea to use Wikipedia? How might you not want to use Wikipedia? 
    • Will this article help you with your research? 
    • How have you used Wikipedia in the past? Was there anything new you learned?
  2. Choose a topic for your research in Module 2. Follow the steps in the KWL chart to make sure that the topic really works! Finish the chart and be prepared to discuss it in class on Wednesday!

KWL Topic Choice

This is a form to help find a topic in Module 2

• You may find your topic anywhere-- from Unit One to the blog posts we wrote last week, to your peers’ blog posts! (It’s really okay if two people write about the same topic-- I promise you). What is important here-- and I can’t stress this enough-- is that you research something you want to know more about, not something you think you already know the answer to. You may be curious to know why there are so few African American ballerinas in major companies, or you may want to know how much “housing projects” have changed in New York since James Baldwin wrote “A Talk to Teachers” in 1963, or you may want to know what we really learn from playing computer games. Just be curious. Write it in question form (it can’t be a yes-or-no question, though) This is what we call a KW/L+ entry. You will need to have an idea of your topic before we begin. What topic would you like to know more about? This can be in question form if you like.
    • K- KNOW: Set your timer for five minutes. Write that whole time. It is important that you don’t pause here, so if you are stuck, write “I’m stuck!” But just keep typing. Write down everything you can about what you KNOW about this topic or question.
    • W-WANT TO KNOW: Set your timer for another five minutes. Same thing-- you’ll write that whole time. This time, write what you WANT to know about the topic.
      Here is where you do a little bit of research. Again, time yourself-- spend 10-15 minutes on the Internet looking up your topic. Check the box when you're done!
    • L-LEARNED: Another five minutes. Again, write the whole time. Write what you LEARNED from your 10-15 minutes of internet research.
    • +-STILL WANT TO KNOW: This is the most important question (but we had to do all of the above to get there!) After doing very basic internet research, what are some questions about your topic that you still want to know? It's okay if your question has changed a little bit (or a lot!) Try to come up with questions that you will be able to research for a few weeks! (Hint: NO yes or no questions)

1. WaldyG08

I found this article not so interesting to read. The topic did not have many interesting details.
    This article is about whether or not Wikipedia is a reliable source of information for everyone including students. The quote “Once the bane of teachers, Wikipedia and entry-writing exercises are becoming more common on college campuses as academia and the online site drop mutual suspicious and seek to cooperate ” shows that the article talks about the use of Wikipedia in schools. The genre of this text is a informative-persuasive writing with formal tone. I think students and teachers are the intended audience for this text because the author is trying to convince them to allow and to use Wikipedia as a source of information. The purpose of this text is to convince others that Wikipedia is a reliable safe site that should be used. It is a good idea to use Wikipedia when you want to get a quick idea on what you have researched. It is not a good idea to use Wikipedia when you are going to use it cite any particular information. I have used Wikipedia before but not very often because it is not recommend to use as a source of information for citing in research.

• Jasmin Castro

I agree with you because I also did not find it interesting because it did not have interesting details and did not catch my attention.

• Jasmin Castro

2. Justin Irimia

A formal argument for whether Wikipedia could be considered a reliable source of information and reference for use in writing pieces. This argument is presented using a formal tone, providing many takes on the subject at hand. His intended audience is those who still read newspapers, the middle aged and thirty year old’s . Although within the context of the PDF it is intended for students, mainly due to the questions at the end of the text. Wikipedia is great to take a glance at something that briefly peaked your curiosity, there are alternatives that surpass it greatly. Books are always often overlooked, a shame since they are so widely available. PDFs of books can be found on a moments notice if you know where to look. If that does not suit you, most library’s have archives of newspapers and documents. Very helpful if seek out information about historic events or sites. We have access to our library and its online counterpart, do your research and do it well.

• Adrian Bucko

I like the audience you chose and I couldn’t agree more that you have to do your research and do it well. Put the effort behind it

3. Adrian Bucko

I found this article not so interesting to read however I did find it interesting that these teachers gave assignments that were so hands-on and needed to be absolutely perfect

This article is about whether or not Wikipedia is a reliable source of information and if it’s good enough to be used by students. the article talks about the use of Wikipedia in schools and how some teachers have implemented the tidying of Wikipedia into the curriculum. They have accomplished this by having students make a new Wikipedia page and post it onto Wikipedia

The genre of this text is informative as it also is written in a professional and or seen as a formal tone.

I think students and teachers are the target groups for this text’s intended audiences because the author was trying to allow the approval and use Wikipedia as a source of information.

The purpose of this text is to convince others that Wikipedia is a reliable safe site that should be used.

It is a good idea to use Wikipedia depending on what you need to accomplish as it still isn’t the best source of information however gathering a general idea of what you may be researching rather than it is informative.

• Justin

I like how you added different ideas to help prove both your dislikes and likes on the reading

4. Christian Luna

1) What I thought about this text was that it was very interesting to learn about how colleges are allowing students to create Wikipedia forms for an assignment. I found this very interesting because throughout school, I was told that Wikipedia was always a terrible source of information.
    2) The text is mostly about how schools across the country are now accepting the use of Wikipedia and are using it as a way for an assignment and also to help anyone who will eventually use the page for their own research.
    3) The genre of this text is a informative text because the author is presenting this information in order to show how schools are now changing their perspective towards Wikipedia as a reliable source of information.The tone of the text is formal because the information presented is not in a conversational manner but rather a speech format where it is just there to present information to the reader.
    4) The intended audience for this text is possibly college professors or anyone in the college faculty because it is trying to convince the reader that Wikipedia isn’t that bad and can be a reliable source of information.
    5) The purpose of this text is to spread the information that schools are accepting of Wikipedia because now it’s more of a secured and reliable website for information and even that it can be used to help the internet to better inform people that might not know anything on the topic. The author wrote this text because they want to get rid of the stigma that Wikipedia is a terrible source to be used in writing pieces and wants to show how good the use of Wikipedia can be
    6) It is a good idea to use Wikipedia when the writing piece isn’t a major piece, such as a midterm essay or anything like that because the professor might not want Wikipedia to be used as a source and more of a first hand document. Maybe it would be better if Wikipedia was used in a speech format of a writing piece because you are using it to prove a statement that you might have created.
    7) This article will help me with my research because it shows that I could possibly use Wikipedia along with other sources to help me support my claim that I might make.
    8) The way that I used Wikipedia in the past was using it as a place where I could look at the sources that they cited to help me with an assignment instead of using Wikipedia itself because I felt that it was more reliable that way instead of using it directly.

5. Justin

I found this article interesting to read because The topic has many interesting points.
    This article is about Wikipedia is a reliable source or not to get information for people and students. The genre of this text is informative and persuasive because it gives off a formal tone. I think the students and people are the intended audiences because the author is trying to convince them to use Wikipedia as a place of information. The purpose of this text is to convince others that Wikipedia is a reliable safe site that should be used. It is not good to use Wikipedia when you are going to cite or get detailed information. Wikipedia is great to glance at different opinions

6. Justin

7. Christopher

I found this article interesting because the author believes Wikipedia is a good source of research which I was told the opposite all through middle school and highschool. The text is mostly about weather or not Wikipedia is a viable source of research to use. In the text it states ” All their work was posted publicly on Wikipedia for reading and editing by a potentially immense audience” gathering a hand full of people with different thoughts. The genre of the text is informative with a formal tone. I think students and teachers are the intended audience and the author may be writing this for anyone who wants to use Wikipedia as a source of research ,but doesn’t know much about it. I think the purpose of this text and why the author wrote it is to persuade readers and writers that Wikipedia isn’t a bad source of research. It can be a good idea to use Wikipedia when your trying to prove an opinion or when writing something small. I believe this article will help me with my research. I haven’t used Wikipedia in the past because I was always told it isn’t a viable source of research.

8. Jasmin Castro

1. I did not enjoy the text. I found it boring because it talks about students writing essay’s using wikipedia and did not catch my interest.
    2. The text is about a professor in Pomona College that assigned the class that Ani Schug was in to “write detailed entries for Wikipedia instead of traditional term papers”. This caused a lot of attention because their work was posted publicly on Wikipedia according to the text. It caught the attention of other colleges because according to the text, ” In at least 150 courses at colleges in the U.S. and Canada, including UC Berkely, UC San Francisco’s medical school, Boston College and Carnegie Mellon University, students were assigned to create or expand Wikipedia entries this year”.
    3. The genre of the text is informative essay and the tone is formal.
    4. I think the audience for this text is professors at other colleges and schools because this may want them to try it out to help their students improve and to realize that wikipedia isn’t the unreliable source most schools and teachers made it out to be.
    5. The purpose of this text is to show people how Wikipedia can also help students educate themselves and others when posting their writing publicly. It can help bring attention for schools to try it out.
    6. I feel like it is good to use Wikipedia when it’s to write entries about a topic to see what other people think about your opinions and writing. On the other hand, I feel like when looking for evidence it is not a reliable source because anyone can write anything and it could be false.
    7.I think it can help me with my research because this may make me want to try what the students did.
    8. I have used Wikipedia to look up a book but never was able to use it as a source.

• Jin teng kam

i agree with you also that i found this boring to me and i have used Wikipedia to look up for a research but it never can be my source to do in work because it consider many false information and answer without prove

9. Jin teng kam

i think this text does not give important information and it did not take my attention. This article talks about is it reliable source for student to use Wikipedia for any research and how student can be reliable for it whenever it give false or true answer. the genre for this article is informative because it given many information as how student use it as a reliable source. i think the intendent if for the student and teachers because many other student don’t use Wikipedia as a reliable source because there is too much definition and not sure which is false answer or true answer. the purpose of this is to show how Wikipedia help giving out many information in the website and student or teacher can look for it when ever they want and it give a free space of studying. i think using Wikipedia is a good idea because it give us free space to study but you have to research about which one is true definition and which is false definition. it is a good time to use Wikipedia when you have question about something you don’t know and i might not want to use Wikipedia because i might will get false information. i used to use Wikipedia for research when im in high school but i slowly find out that some of it consider false information and i stopped using it.