Project 2, Planning

Before our next class, complete your planning memo for Project 2 (available under the Projects menu above) and copy-and-paste it into a comment made to this blog post. Instructions are included below.

Planning: Think of at least two fiction stories that you could tell in this project, and write a brief memo (approximately 250 words) describing the two possible fiction stories that you would like to tell in this project, and explaining why, of the two possible choices, you selected the one that you did. Post this as a comment to OpenLab. Also, you should confirm that your YouTube account has a fully formed profile with profile image that fits into your interconnecting online professional image/brand, which of course, you might change over time but it suffices to have a profile in place that you might decide to change later. Also, all students should subscribe to one another’s YouTube channels and Professor Ellis’ channel (www.youtube.com/dynamicsubspace). (in-class Feb 22)

Due to the extra work required for this project, it is recommended that you continue with the next modules, which we will devote some of our next class to working on, too. Good luck!

3 thoughts on “Project 2, Planning

1. Samantha

To: Professor Ellis
    From: Samantha
    Date: 2/22/16
    Subject: Project 2 Proposal

Teamwork Makes the Dream Work
    For this idea I would be crafting a story about a team of interns who have a deadline for a big project but instead of work together they break the project up and then blame one another for the lack of progress. Losing precious time with the boss closing in they finally realize they have to work together if they want a place to work.

Writing a Resume
    For this idea I would craft a story around two girls in an elevator, one is a new employee and one is applying for a job but has a really weak resume. The new girl doesn’t know what belongs on her resume and hasn’t highlighted her best qualities, but the girl that’s hired comes to the rescue and helps her spruce it up on the ride up in the elevator.

Of these two ideas I think I want to go with the first option for two reasons. Firstly it seems like more fun and secondly it gives me more elements and characters to work with. I also feel its professional, relatable and I can throw in some comedic undertones to make it less boring. I think learning to work as a team is something all emerging professionals need to know how to do and watching company videos can be a bore so maybe a video produced by someone on the same team would be fun to watch and would stick in their minds.

2. Pamela

To: Professor Ellis
    From: Pamela Drake
    Subject: Digital Storytelling – Project 2
    Date: February 23, 2016

Story #1
    We all know communication is a multi-way process taking place between two or more people and we communicate all the time. But how do we really know that communication has taken place? This story idea is about two people who have a communication problem. Although they are both talking, neither one is really listening and this leads to a misunderstanding. I will show how they overcome the barriers to effectively communicate in the end.

Story #2
    Confidence is a big factor in getting ahead. If you don’t have it, you won’t get noticed or promoted. This story idea is about a worker who lacks confidence and doesn’t seem to be getting anywhere in her career. It is only when she starts to focus on being confident and assertive does things begin to change for her. That gives her more confidence and she becomes more visible and that leads to more opportunities.

My Choice
    I decided to go with story #1 because a short video that tells a story with humor can be quite effective and impactful. I also want it to be engaging so that it will draw the viewer in and compel them to keep watching. I want the audience to kind of get lost in all the confusion of the video so that they will really appreciate the clarity in the end. Although the subject of communication is common, I want this video to be original in its content so this is a good challenge for me to both write and produce.

3. MariahRajah

To: Professor Jason Ellis
    From: Mariah Rajah
    Date: February 25th, 2016
    Re: YouTube fiction Story Project Possibilities

Hello Professor Ellis,

After considering all the components and expectations of this new project I have come up with two possible fictional stories that I want to execute. To begin with, my first choice and the project I hope to execute will be a film designed to be a survival guide for Professional and Technical Writing students. As the program is new and students are still growing into the program I would like to plan and design a video that allows students to know what to expect a student’s’ perspective. In designing such an audience specific video it will allow me to elaborate on key features which I know they can possibly connect with. With the ending goal being producing a deliverable worthy of being a part of my portfolio I believe that this project allows me to showcase my creativity and understanding of a digital video hosting site, build my planning skills, and in its entirety build and design a project from bottom up.

My second, and backup choice of story based around students and plagiarism. As we know, plagiarism is a problem faced by many students and the understanding of the concept can be quite tricky. In executing this project I hope shine light, in various frames, the Do’s and Don’ts of writing, and what know what is and isn’t considered as plagiarism. This video would potentially be shot from the perspective of finger puppets. As mentioned before, I believe that this project will allow me to demonstrate my ability to create and design a project from the bottom up as well as to present a piece that allows me to showcase how much I know about the guidelines or fundamentals or good writing practices.

With everything said, I hope this memo allows you to understand the general overview of the options of the stories which I have chosen and will allow you to judge whether or not I have chosen the right option for this project.