Weekly Writing Assignment, Week 3

After watching this week’s lecture above, use this week’s Weekly Writing Assignment to begin your initial research on the next project: 750-1000-Word Expanded Definition Project. This is the second individually-based project in the class. The goal is to write 750-1000 words that provide an extended definition of a term relevant to your field of studies and/or future career. Below is the synopsis of the assignment from the syllabus:

Individual: 750-1000-Word Expanded Definition, 15%

Individually, you will write a 750-1000 word expanded definition of a technical or scientific term, with cover memo, which demonstrates: 1. correct memorandum format. 2. knowledge of the etymology and historical development of the term. 3. examples of the term’s use in various written contexts. 4. ability to compare and contrast various uses of the term. 5. use and citation of sources with proper attribution. 6. awareness of audience. At least three library-sourced citations are required and should be cited following APA format.

As detailed and explained in this week’s lecture, your Weekly Writing Assignment this week is an opportunity to begin your research, settle on a term to focus on, and find three quotes that you might use in your project. With that in mind, add a comment to this post with the following before next week:

• Begin with a short paragraph that begins with a statement about three possible terms that you considered and performed cursory research on for your project and concludes with the one term out of the three candidates that you ultimately decided to focus your expanded definition project on.
  • After using the library’s databases and reference guide shown in this week’s lecture, perform more focused research on the single term that you selected and copy-and-paste three quotes–each quote must come from a different source (e.g., one from a dictionary, one from an encyclopedia, and one from an ebook, or all three from different dictionaries, or all three from three different encyclopedias, or all three from journal articles, etc. All combinations will yield quotes that you might use in your expanded definition essay).
  • After each quote, write an APA bibliographic reference for your selection.
  • As always, write your Weekly Writing Assignment in a word processor, save your work, and then copy-and-paste it into a comment added to this post.
  • Remember to rely on the Purdue Owl APA Guide (and its sections listed on the left menu), and the APA Style Guide’s Dictionary References Guide.

18 thoughts on “Weekly Writing Assignment, Week 3”

1. TO: Professor J. Ellis
    FROM: Pranta Dutta
    DATE: February 24, 2021
    SUBJECT: 750-1000- Word Expanded Definition Brainstorming

The three scientific terms I have decided to choose for my 750 – 1000 words expanded definition brainstorming are Multifactor Authentication, Cloud Computing, and Virtualization. Of these three words, I decided to choose cloud computing for my expanded definition project. Cloud computing is an on-demand delivery service of IT resources via the internet. Instead of owning a physical data center for your company, now you can access technology services such as computing power, storage on as-needed basis from a cloud provider.

Three quotes from three different sources:

“The NIST definition of cloud computing outlines five key cloud characteristics: on-demand self-service, broad network access, resource pooling, rapid elasticity, and measured service.”

Reference:
    Rountree, Derrick, and Ileana Castrillo. The Basics of Cloud Computing : Understanding the Fundamentals of Cloud Computing in Theory and Practice, Elsevier Science & Technology Books, 2013. ProQuest Ebook Central, http://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/citytech-ebooks/detail.action?docID=1115176.

“The appeal of cloud computing to a variety of buyers contributes to strong growth. The services provided are flexible and can be tailored to suit start-ups, small to medium-sized businesses, and huge enterprises, meaning that cloud computing has a wide appeal.”

Reference:
    MarketLine Industry Profile: Cloud Computing in Global. (2019). Cloud Computing Industry Profile: Global, N.PAG. http://web.b.ebscohost.com.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu/ehost/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?vid=5&sid=7d308bce-b05b-4ea1-9533-ac816c00dd4e%40pdc-v-sessmgr04

“A single cloud computing data center includes a data center building, power supply, and cooling as supporting equipment, as well as servers and networking ICT equipment.”

Reference:
    MASTELIC, T., OLEKSIAK, A., CLAUSSEN, H., BRANDIC, I., PIERSON, J.-M., & VASILAKOS, A. V. (2015). Cloud Computing: Survey on Energy Efficiency. ACM Computing Surveys, 47(2), 33:1-33:36. https://doi.org/10.1145/2656204

2. The three possible terms that I considered for my project were “Software engineering”, “Internet”, and “Database”. However, after performing cursory research I conclude with the term “Software engineering”. Initially, I wanted to do “Database” since it interests me a lot but ended choosing software engineering since there’s more information available for it than for database. The following are some of the quotes that I found from my research.

Encyclopedia: “the professional development, production, and management of system software.”

Oxford University Press. (2005.). Software engineering. In Oxford University Press. Retrieve February 18, 2021, from https://www-oxfordreference-com.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu/view/10.1093/acref/9780195418163.001.0001/m_en_ca0065252?rskey=40C57l&result=4

Dictionary: “ software engineering n. the practice or process of designing, developing, and maintaining software; the field of study concerned with this.”
    Etymology: “1966 Communications ACM 9 546/2 We must recognize ourselves..as members of an engineering profession, be it hardware engineering or software engineering.
    1982 I. Sommerville Software Engin. i. 3 Software engineering is now maturing into a fully fledged discipline.
    2013 R. Y. Lee Software Engin. i. 10 It is crucial for anyone interested in the field to understand that software engineering is much more than just programming.”

Oxford University Press. (2020.). Software engineering. In Oxford University Press. Retrieve February 18, 2021, from https://www-oed-com.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu/view/Entry/183938?redirectedFrom=Software+engineering+#eid21971735

Book: “Software Engineering is a term that is 35 years old, originating at a NATO conference in Garmisch, Germany, October 7-1, 1968. Computer Science is its scientific basis with many aspects having been made systematic in Software Engineering…it …involves teams of developers with multiple roles building complex systems with an indefinite life span.”

Oshana, R., & Kraeling, M. (Eds.). (2019). Software engineering for embedded systems: Methods, practical techniques, and applications. Oxford: Elsevier https://cuny-ny.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/discovery/fulldisplay?docid=alma991027695311406121&context=L&vid=01CUNY_NY:CUNY_NY&lang=en&search_scope=MyInst_and_CI&adaptor=Local%20Search%20Engine&tab=Everything&query=any,contains,Software%20engineering&facet=rtype,include,books&facet=tlevel,include,online_resources&mode=basic

3. The three possible terms that I considered for my project were “Software engineering”, “Internet”, and “Database”. However, after performing cursory research I conclude with the term “Software engineering”. Initially, I wanted to do “Database” since it interests me a lot but ended choosing software engineering since there’s more information available for it than for database. The following are some of the quotes that I found from my research.

4. TO: Professor J. Ellis
    FROM: Oluwatomi Isaac Ajeleti
    DATE: February 24, 2021

The three terms that I strongly recommend for my project is “innovative”, “software compatibility”, and “internet”. After looking thoroughly through these various topics, I chose to expand on “innovation”. Innovation has always been something that always interested me since I have been a kid. The following is going to be some quotes that I concluded to aid me in my research.
    Wikipedia: “Innovation is commonly defined as the carrying out of new combinations that include the introduction of goods”
    Schumpeter, Joseph A., 1883–1950 (1983). The theory of economic development: an inquiry into profits, capital, credit, interest, and the business cycle
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innovation

Dictionary: “Innovation is the creation, development and implementation of a new product, process or service, with the aim of improving efficiency, effectiveness or competitive advantage.”
    What is the best definition of innovation? By Dr Ken Hudson March 12, 2014

What is the best definition of innovation?

Technology, the application of scientific knowledge to the practical aims of human life or, as it is sometimes phrased, to the change and manipulation of the human environment.
    Why These Tech Companies Keep Running Thousands of Failed Experiments. Fast Company.com (21 September 2016). Retrieved 16 October 2018.
    https://www.britannica.com/technology/technology

5. TO: Professor J. Ellis
    FROM: Chowdhury Hashmee
    DATE: February 24, 2021

The three scientific terms I have decided to choose for my 750 – 1000 words expanded definition brainstorming are Cloud Computing, Artificial Intelligence and Virtual reality. Of these three terms, I decided to choose Artificial Intelligence for my expanded definition project. Artificial Intelligence is one of the most talkative topic now-a-days. Artificial Intelligence (AI) is the computer science branch that emphasizes the creation, thinking and functioning of intelligence machines like humans. Artificial intelligence (AI) refers to the emulation of human intelligence in computers designed to think and imitate their behavior like humans.

“Artificial intelligence (AI) is that division of science, particularly of computer science, which attempts to emulate and extend with programmed and fabricated elements the cognitive and affective functions of animals and human beings.”

Reference:
    SMOLKO, J. F. (2003). Artificial Intelligence. In New Catholic Encyclopedia (2nd ed., Vol. 1, pp. 765-766). Gale. https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/CX3407700832/GVRL?u=cuny_nytc&sid=GVRL&xid=bb763593

“Now so many more people can play at that because you no longer need to know how to code to generate new software programs. Thanks to artificial intelligence, there is now “no-code software.’’ You just instruct the software to design some code for the application that you’ve imagined or need and, presto, it will spit it out.”

Reference:
    Friedman, T. L. (2020, October 20). After the Pandemic, a Revolution in Education and Work Awaits. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/20/opinion/covid-education-work.html?searchResultPosition=1.

“AI-driven interface between the customer and the company can schedule appointments without human intervention to enable sending out confirmation emails, digital directions, etc. to help deliver a top-notch experience every time.”

Reference:
    Williamson, R. (2020, October 6). AI is Shaping the Future of Appointment Scheduling. Data Science Central. https://www.datasciencecentral.com/profiles/blogs/ai-is-shaping-the-future-of-appointment-scheduling.

6. TO: Prof Ellis
    FROM: Mahir Faisal
    DATE: 02/22/2021
    SUBJECT: 750-1000 Expanded Definition Research

The three scientific terms I have decided to choose for my 750 – 1000 words expanded definition are Cybersecurity, Cloud Computing, and Machine Learning. From these three terms, I have decided to choose cloud computing for my expanded definition project. Cloud computing is an approach to computing in which the end user connects to a remote network of computers (the cloud) to run applications, databases and storing data etc. This enables users to access large amounts of data storage and computing power from anywhere in the world without having to own and maintain data centers and servers.

Below I have found some definitions and quotes from different resources-

Cloud computing can be defined as “a model for enabling ubiquitous, convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service provider interaction.”

Mohd Talmizie Amron, Roslina Ibrahim, & Nur Azaliah Abu Bakar. (2021). Cloud computing acceptance among public sector employees. Telkomnika, 19(1), 124–133. https://doi-org.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu/10.12928/TELKOMNIKA.v19i1.17883

As a cloud management system and platform for delivering IaaS Services, CU Cloud is expected to fulfill all the characteristics of Cloud Computing such as elasticity, metering service, multi tenancy, etc.

T. Mengistu, A. Alahmadi, A. Albuali, Y. Alsenani and D. Che, “A “No Data Center” Solution to Cloud Computing,” 2017 IEEE 10th International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD), Honolulu, CA, 2017, pp. 714-717, doi: 10.1109/CLOUD.2017.99.

“For IaaS, the cloud provider acquires the physical computing resources, including the servers, networks, storage, and hosting infrastructure for the underlying services. The IaaS provider runs the cloud software necessary to makes computing resources available to the IaaS consumer through a set of service interfaces and computing resource abstractions such as virtual machines and virtual network interfaces.”

Rehman, T. B. Cloud Computing Basics, Mercury Learning & Information, 2018. ProQuest E-book Central, http://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/citytech-ebooks/detail.action?docID=5626359.
    Created from citytech-ebooks on 2021-02-22 15:43:06.

7. The three terms I came up of thinking were “Virtualization”, “Processor”, “Innovation”. The term I decided to pick was Virtualization because its an improving technology now that more processors are being equipped with more cores in consumer grade hardware. It’s much easier to set up virtual machines in the work field, rather than using enterprise hardware to deploy a virtual machine host. Virtualization can allow an amount of workspaces to be created with a single node. I acquired these quotes from resources I will use for my paper

“Although VMs are the most obvious example of virtualization, others include desktop sharing (Virtual Network Computing), virtual networks, virtual storage, and many more. All these have an enormous impact on Internet computing.”
    Citation:
    Douglis, F., & Krieger, O. (2013). Virtualization. IEEE Internet Computing, 17(2), 6–9. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIC.2013.42

“At present, virtualization and virtualization technology represent a powerful tool for the consolidation and simplification of vast hardware and software structures administration. Their potential is extensive, considering their employment; they are used in numerous branches and fields. It is therefore logical that the issue of virtualization technology is becoming a priority for educational institutions not only in terms of their internal information systems, but also as a means of solving particular educational issues regarding advanced administration and operation of information systems.”
    Citation:
    Klement, M. (2017). Models of integration of virtualization in education: Virtualization technology and possibilities of its use in education. Computers and Education, 105, 31–43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2016.11.006

“Virtualization is a core technology for teaching networking and operating system skills. In a distance learning, or e‐learning, environment, the use of virtualization presents different challenges—both technical and pedagogical.”
    Citation:
    Donelan, H., Smith, A., & Wong, P. (2018). Virtualization for computer networking skills development in a distance learning environment. Computer Applications in Engineering Education, 26(4), 872–883. https://doi.org/10.1002/cae.21928

8. TO PROFESSOR FLLIS
    FROM MOHAMMAD AL AMIN
    02/21/2021
    SUBJECT: 750-1000 WORD EXPANDED DEFINITION RECHARCE

From the trams which are cyber security Virtualization and computer hardware I have decided to write about cyber security for my 750-1000 word expanded definition assignment.
    Cyber security refers to the body of technologies, processes, and practices designed to protect networks, devices, programs, and data from attack, damage, or unauthorized access. Cyber security may also be referred to as information technology security.

Securing digital assets is an extremely difficult and strategic challenge worldwide that requires technology, cooperation between the public and private sector, military and civilian education and training, and legal and policy framework.
    Cyber Security and Resiliency Policy Framework, edited by A. Vaseashta, et al., IOS Press, Incorporated, 2014. ProQuest Ebook Central, http://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/citytech-ebooks/detail.action?docID=1818046.
    Created from citytech-ebooks on 2021-02-22 18:37:22.

Cyberspace has become part of daily life and now permeates all aspects of modern society. Notwithstanding the enormous benefits afforded by cyberspace, this new domain has also emerged as a source of a number of securitythreats and vulnerabilities. The threat landscape in cyberspace is multifaceted and dynamic, and the most prominent cyber threats range from cyber-terrorism and cyber-crime to cyber-attacks.

Oxford University Press (2018)
    A Concise Oxford Dictionary of Politics and International Relation
    In oxford reference. Retrieve February 22.2021
    From https://www-oxfordreference-com.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu/view/10.1093/acref/9780199670840.001.0001/acref-9780199670840-e-1636?rskey=wFPbww&result=2

In the traditional network, the control plane and the data plane of devices are encapsulated in a box and tightly coupled with each other. Due to the interdependence and poor program- mability of the devices, we cannot support new requirements quickly
    Y. Liu, B. Zhao, P. Zhao, P. Fan and H. Liu, “A survey: Typical security issues of software-defined networking,” in China Communications, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 13-31, July 2019, doi: 10.23919/JCC.2019.07.002.

9. TO: Prof. Ellis
    FROM: Jerry Chen
    DATE: 2/23/2021
    SUBJECT: 750-1000- Word Expanded Definition Research

The three technical terms that I considered for my 750-100 word expanded definition project were “authentication”, “computer hardware”, and “cryptography”. Upon doing the research on sources of those three technical terms, I ended up selected the term “authentication” to further focus on my expanded definition project. What most interested me in selecting this term is as authentication always plays a huge role in network security. Authentication is an inevitable process that user must face while access to something that protects by the authentication.

“authentication, n. The action or process of validating, approving, or authenticating something.”
    “1612 S. Lennard tr. P. de Mornay Mysterie Iniquitie liii. 415 By this Popes authentication [Fr. authorité] also S. Clare was canonized.
    1676 F. Philipps Anc. Rights Courts of Justice i. 20 To be both Party, Judge, and Sheriff, without an authentication of hand, seal, or stamp, of any Court.
    1738 E. A. Burgis Ann. Church II. 104 Helena was transported with this miraculous authentication of the Cross.
    1788 T. Jefferson in Papers (1958) XIV. 389 So numerous are the writings..that their authentication..would occupy the greater part of his time.
    1847 C. G. Addison Treat. Law Contracts i. 6 The use of seals for the authentication of contracts and writings.
    1868 M. Pattison Suggestions Acad. Organisation §5. 308 The interpretation and authentication of ancient documents.
    1930 Science 8 Aug. 134/1 The careful authentication of titles and quotations.
    1987 National Geographic Sept. 314/1 Its success in analyzing the mosaic pieces of the Tikal mask..points to a revolution in artifact authentication.
    2005 Wired Dec. 280/2 The role of science..in authentication is far more limited than most people realize.”
    Reference
    Oxford English Dictionary. (2014). Authentication. In Oxford English Dictionary. Retrieved February 23, 2021, from https://www-oed-com.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu/view/Entry/13323?redirectedFrom=authentication#eid

“The process of convincing a network that a person is who he or she claims to be. This follows the process of identification. Devices that are used for authentication include passwords, personal identification numbers, smart cards, and biometric identification systems.”
    Reference
    Ince, D. (2019). In A Dictionary of the Internet (4th ed.). Oxford University Press.

“A process by which subjects, normally users, establish their identity to a system. This may be effected by the use of a password or possession of a physical device, e.g. a coded token. In reverse authentication, the object is required to authenticate to the subject, e.g. to establish user confidence regarding the object, before sensitive information is entered into a system.”
    Reference
    Butterfield, A., Ngondi, G. E., & Kerr, A. (2016). A Dictionary of Computer Science (7 ed.). Oxford University Press. https://doi.org/10.1093/acref/9780199688975.001.0001

10. TO: Professor J. Ellis
    FROM: Kiara Candelario
    DATE: February 23, 2021
    SUBJECT: 750-1000- Word Expanded Definition ideas
    The term’s that I considered for the paper are database, data mining, and T-SQL. I picked these terms because of the relation that it has to my major. After further research, the word I decided to chose is a database. Databases are everywhere, and they have significantly impacted our lives.

Encyclopedia:
    “Database, n. :
    Origin: Formed within English, by compounding. Etymons: data n., base n.1
    Etymology: < data n. + base n.1
    A structured set of data held in computer storage and typically accessed or manipulated by means of specialized software.
    1955 Q. Jrnl. Econ. 69 155 A thoroughgoing character classification of federal government activities, à la J. R. Hicks, would provide the data-base necessary for this kind of stabilization policy.
    1962 Techn. Memorandum (System Development Corp., Calif.) tm- wd-16/007/00. i. 5 A ‘data base’ is a collection of entries containing item information that can vary in its storage media and in the characteristics of its entries and items.
    1967 N. S. M. Cox & M. W. Grose Organization Bibliogr. Rec. by Computer iv. 83 The Search area provides a means of querying the data base.
    1972 Science 3 Nov. 472/1 The data base from which the volumes are compiled is maintained on magnetic tape and is updated weekly.
    1985 Sunday Times 10 Mar. 80/3 CIR went through its data-base looking for companies interested in investing in new ideas in electronics.
    1985 Ashmolean ix. 1/1 A museum and its records are one vast database.
    1996 F. Popcorn & L. Marigold Clicking ii. 58 Display screens will be hitched to a central database holding untold thousands of works of art.
    2002 Guardian (Nexis) 3 Oct. (Online section) 4 The Google API allows anyone to write programs and create web pages that search Google's database.
    2009 N.Y. Times (National ed.) 30 Apr. a25/1 Mr. Marcia rushed the rape kit to the crime lab… It produced..a match in a database of the DNA of previous offenders.”
    Reference:
    Oxford University Press. (n.d.). Database. In Oxford Dictionary. Retrieved February 23, 2021, from
    https://www-oed-com.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu/view/Entry/47411?redirectedFrom=database#eid

Dictionary:
    “Definition of database (computer): a usually large collection of data organized especially for rapid search and retrieval (as by a computer)”
    Reference:
    Merriam-Webster. (n.d.). Database. In Merriam-Webster.com dictionary. Retrieved February 23, 2021, from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/database?src=search-dict-hed#other-words

Ebook:

“For the most part, today's DBMS are intended as shared resources. A single database may be supporting thousands of users at one time.”
    Reference:
    Harrington, J. L. (2009). Relational database design and implementation : Clearly explained. ProQuest Ebook Central https://ebookcentral.proquest.com

11. TO: Prof. Ellis 
    FROM: Shoron Reza 
    DATE: 02/23/2021 
    SUBJECT: 750-1000-Word Expanded Definition Introduction

For my 750-1000 word expanded definition project, the three technical terms that I was contemplating on were Software, Virtual Machine and VPN – Virtual Private Network. After doing some research through the library database, I ultimately decided on moving forward with the term VPN – Virtual Private Network because it correlates to my concentration in Networking & Security. VPN’s are systems that permit public internet networks to be utilized as private networks with the purpose of increasing security. It provides more privacy and a secure connection within a public network. The following are some quotes from resources I plan on citing in my essay.

“A virtual private network (VPN) can be defined loosely as a network in which customer connectivity amongst multiple sites is deployed on a shared infrastructure, that utilizes the same security, management, and quality of service policies that are applied in a private network.”

Reference:
    I. Azher, M. Aurengzeb and K. Masood, “Virtual Private Network Implementation Over Multiprotocol Label Switching,” 2005 Student Conference on Engineering Sciences and Technology, Karachi, Pakistan, 2005, pp. 1-5, doi: 10.1109/SCONEST.2005.4382902.

“VPNs use tunneling technologies to allow users to access private network resources through the Internet or another public network. Users enjoy the same security and features formerly available only in their private networks.” 

Reference:
    Editor. (2020, March 7). Virtual Private Network (VPN). Network Encyclopedia. https://networkencyclopedia.com/virtual-private-network-vpn/

“Virtual private network (VPN), a private computer network deployed over a public telecommunications network, such as the Internet. A VPN typically includes one or more connected corporate intranets, or local area networks (LANs), which users at remote locations can access using a password authentication system.”

Reference:
    Britannica, T. Editors of Encyclopaedia (2016, June 3). Virtual private network. Encyclopedia Britannica. https://www.britannica.com/technology/virtual-private-network

12. The three possible terms that I have considered were: segmentation, anomaly, and artificial intelligence. I selected these terms because they are all used differently in the journal, and they stood out to me. After researching these terms, I decided to select the term artificial intelligence to focus on my expanded definition project because it is related to IT.

Artificial intelligence (AI), the ability of a digital computer or computer-controlled robot to perform tasks commonly associated with intelligent beings. The term is frequently applied to the project of developing systems endowed with the intellectual processes characteristic of humans, such as the ability to reason, discover meaning, generalize, or learn from past experience. –
    Reference: Artificial intelligence. (n.d.). Retrieved February 24, 2021, from https://www.britannica.com/technology/artificial-intelligence

“Artificial intelligence (AI) refers to computer software that exhibits intelligent behavior. The term “intelligence” is difficult to define, and has been the subject of heated debate by philosophers, educators, and psychologists for ages. Nevertheless, it is possible to enumerate many important characteristics of intelligent behavior. Intelligence includes the capacity to learn, maintain a large storehouse of knowledge, utilize commonsense reasoning, apply analytical abilities, discern relationships between facts, communicate ideas to others and understand communications from others, and perceive and make sense of the world around us. Thus, artificial intelligence systems are computer programs that exhibit one or more of these behaviors”-
    Reference: Helms, M. M. (Ed.). (2009). Encyclopedia of Management. Thomson Gale.

“The term artificial intelligence denotes behavior of a machine which, if a human behaves in the same way, is considered intelligent” –
    Reference: A. B. Simmons and S. G. Chappell, “Artificial intelligence-definition and practice,” in IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 14-42, April 1988, doi: 10.1109/48.551

13. Week 3 Assignment Initial research

When brainstorming for my 750-1000-word expanded definition the three possible terms that I considered were Virtual Private Network (VPN), Denial of Service, and Pen-testing. I decided to focus my expanded definition project on Virtual Private Network (VPN). The following are the three quotes from three different sources:

“A VPN allows an enterprise to interconnect geographically dispersed sites throughout a public network infrastructure. It is likely to be used by customers instead of networks constructed using private lines.”
    References:
    Lamti, L., & Yacoub, B. (2000). On managing traffic over virtual private network links. Journal of Communications and Networks, 2(2), 138-146. https://ieeexplore-ieee-org.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6596734

“The encrypted messages are sent between a few well-defined points, such as a company headquarters and its branch offices, making part of their journey over the Internet.”
    References:
    Babcock, C. (1998). The art of building VPN firewalls. Inter@ctive Week, 5(29), 18. http://web.b.ebscohost.com.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu/ehost/detail/detail?vid=10&sid=a4d7e10e-19f9-441a-9b7a-8ebeea80195e%40pdc-v-sessmgr05&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZSZzY29wZT1zaXRl#db=a9h&AN=976979

“In fact, F-Secure says that Freedome’s App Security contains the same scanning engine as its Safe Antivirus, meaning with Freedome installed you don’t need an extra antivirus app.”
    References:
    Paul, I. (2019). 5 Best Vpns for Android. PCWorld, 37(4), 81-86. http://web.a.ebscohost.com.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu/ehost/detail/detail?vid=8&sid=5161d3b1-9062-40dc-a8cd-4b9fa00c5047%40sessionmgr4008&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZSZzY29wZT1zaXRl#AN=135617888&db=a9h

14. TO: Prof Ellis
    FROM: Alexander Rossler
    DATE: 02/24/2021

The three terms I’ve considered for the assignment are Cloud Computing, Data Center, and Networks. I chose these because they are pretty important terms to discuss and understand in the article I had originally chosen for the 500 word summary assignment, and would like to expand on them. Right now, I’d specifically want to expand on Cloud Computing as it was the main topic of interest. Cloud Computing is the availability of computer resources over the internet, this could be anything from storage to software being streamed straight to another device.

“The current Cloud Computing services are based on the“data center” approach, where hundreds of thousands of dedicated servers are set up to give the services.”

Reference: T. Mengistu, A. Alahmadi, A. Albuali, Y. Alsenani and D. Che, “A “No Data Center” Solution to Cloud Computing,” 2017 IEEE 10th International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD), Honolulu, CA, 2017, pp. 714-717, doi: 10.1109/CLOUD.2017.99.
    From: https://ieeexplore-ieee-org.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu/document/8030657

“..cloud computing had become a popular way to describe software provided from a central Internet site that could be accessed by the user through any form of computer and connection.”

Reference: Henderson, H. (2009). Encyclopedia of computer science and technology (Rev. ed.). Facts On File. From: https://cuny-ny.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/01CUNY_NY/1a8849m/alma990063051400106136

“An approach to computing in which the end user connects to a remote network of computers (the cloud) in order to run programs, store data, etc. This enables users to access large amounts of data storage and computing power from anywhere in the world without having to own and maintain these resources themselves.”

Reference: Butterfield, Andrew, et al., editors. A Dictionary of Computer Science. 7th ed., Oxford University Press, 2016.
    From: https://www-oxfordreference-com.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu/view/10.1093/acref/9780199688975.001.0001/acref-9780199688975

15. The three terms that I strongly recommend for my project is “virtual machine”, “cyber security”, and “internet”. After looking through these various topics, I chose to expand on “cyber security”. The following is going to be some quotes that I concluded to aid me in my research.
    Computer security, cybersecurity[1] or information technology security (IT security) is the protection of computer systems and networks from information disclosure, theft of or damage to their hardware, software, or electronic data, as well as from the disruption or misdirection of the services they provide.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_security

Cyber security is one of the most pressing issues facing the digitally-focused world we live in. As so many aspects of our lives are increasingly conducted online, the necessity to protect ourselves, national security, and our infrastructure from cyber attacks has never been so pertinent.
    https://www.thedigitalmarketingbureau.com/cyber-security-e-book

“the technical and managerial measures designed to ensure the confidentiality, possession or control, integrity, authenticity, availability, and utility of information and information systems.”
    https://www.encyclopedia.com/science-and-technology/computers-and-electrical-engineering/computers-and-computing/computer-security

16. TO: Professor J. Ellis
    FROM: Andrew Dindyal
    DATE: February 24, 2021
    SUBJECT: 750-1000 Word Expanded Definition

The single term I’ve chosen for my 750-1000 word expanded definition would be Amazon Web Services (AWS). The other two secondary terms I was considering to choose were: Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform (GCP). The reason I chose Amazon Web Services (AWS) over the other because it is the most popular and widely used cloud platform.

Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a Amazon.com service that offers cloud services at very affordable rates. Which attracts small scale companies such as Domino’s Pizza to large companies such as Netflix. This scaling capability based on needs, which allows AWS to be cost effective and pay as you go. Applications can run reliably and securely over AWS many data centers. Access to the AWS console is mainly all web based and is easy to access anywhere remotely.

*Three quotes from three different sources*

“A data center is ideal for companies that need a customized, dedicated system that gives them full control over their data and equipment. A data center, however, has limited capacity-once company builds a data center, it will not be able to change the amount of storage and workload it can withstand without purchasing and installing more equipment. On the other hand, a cloud system is scalable to a company business needs. It has potentially unlimited capacity, based on the vendor’s offerings and service plans. One disadvantage of the cloud is that user will not have as much control as it would a data center, since a third party is managing the system.”

Reference:
    B. S. Đorđević, S. P. Jovanović and V. V. Timčenko, “Cloud Computing in Amazon and Microsoft Azure platforms: Performance and service comparison,” 2014 22nd Telecommunications Forum Telfor (TELFOR), Belgrade, Serbia, 2014, pp. 931-934, doi: 10.1109/TELFOR.2014.7034558.

Reference:

Reference:

17. TO: Professor J. Ellis
    FROM: Ali Hossain
    DATE: 02/22l21

there are some terms that I strongly recommend for my writing is how to explore my though on paper. After looking thoroughly through these various topics, I chose to expand on “innovation”. Innovation has always been something that always interested to me. The following is going to be some quotes that I concluded to aid me in my research.

Alazab.A.,& Khraisat.A.(2021), Cybersecurity, A critical review of intrusion detection systems in the internet of things: techniques, deployment strategy, validation strategy, attacks, public datasets and challenges, 4, Article number: 18(2021).

Ahsan.M., Gomes.R., Chowdhury.M.M., & Nygard.K.E.(2021), Enhancing Machine Learning Prediction in Cybersecurity Using Dynamic Feature Selector, J. Cybersecur. Priv. 2021, 1(1), 199-218.

18. TO: Prof.Ellis
    FROM: Foysal Ahmed
    DATE:02/25/2021

Three terms that I have done research on that intrigued me were Networking , cybersecurity, and open source model after doing my reading I decided to do my 750 word research on open source model for many reasons first its public and open source for all everyone can use for free since I did my writing late let me include quote from my 750 research to explain what is the meaning for open source and also the advantage of open source “The open-source concept stems from the computer community. The earlier days of computers and programmers developed up-to-date technologies through collaboration. The Community has to make efforts to create software and encourage open collaboration. The term open source is something people can alter and share since its design is openly available. Development in technology has made more freedoms. Open source has gained acceptance with users, corporations, and the government. Famous examples in the software are Linux and Android operating systems” . In addition to the open source benefits such as the price which is cheaper than commercially marketed products, it is also created by people who have strong skills ,highly reliable since many people are working on it and everybody is watching .

Citation
    Shikha Gupta, Stibir Jain, and Mohit Agarwal. (2018). IEEE Xplore: Ensuring Data Security in Databases Using Format Preserving Encryption, pp.214-216.
    https://ieeexplore-ieee-org.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=8442626&tag=1

publisher:Oxford University 2015, https://www-oxfordreference-com.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu/view/10.1093/acref/9780199688975.001.0001/acref-9780199688975-e-825?rskey=MJDkLh&result=3

Manning, R., & ERIC Clearinghouse on Information Resources, S. N. (1986). Plugging in to Computer Bulletin Boards. ERIC Digest. https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED278381.pdf

The GNU Operating System and the Free Software Movement. (n.d.). http://www.gnu.org/

The Rise of the Free Software Movement. (2004). Multinational Monitor, 25(7/8), 29. http://citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu:2048/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=b6h&AN=14373199&site=ehost-live&scope=site