23 thoughts on “Project 1, Interview Memo

1. demi

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Demi Huang
    DATE: March 23, 2017
    SUBJECT: Project 1: Interview Report

In her office on February 8, 2017, I interviewed an attorney about her experiences in, and opinions of, the profession. The interviewee requested that her real name not be used, so for the purpose of this interview, I will refer to her as Sarah Lewis. I chose to interview Sarah because she is someone who I know has had (and continues to maintain) a career in law.

To begin the interview, I asked Sarah some background information about her experiences, specifically what job positions in law she has held. She told me, “I started off as a public defender in Daytona, Florida in the appellate court, for criminals and the mentally ill. I hated it. I then went back to school to get my LLM (Masters in Law) degree in Tax Law. I was a professor for Legal Research at the University of Florida for a bit. Then I got a job in Chicago at a big tax firm doing Estates, Trusts, and Wills. I was there for a few years, and then went back to school again at the London School of Economics studying Chinese Law and International Business Law. Now I do some cases here and there, mostly estates, trusts, and wills, and some immigration law.”

I then asked Sarah which area of law of all the ones she’s studied and practiced in, did she like the most, and why? Sarah paused, and then answered, “estates, trusts, and wills. Because there’s no litigation, it’s very civil, and there’s not a lot of overtime. It was also one of the first areas of law — that and family law — that women were more easily able to enter into at that time” (S. Lewis, personal communication, February 8, 2017).

Next, I asked her what the most challenging part of her job as a lawyer was. She told me “the stress and the hours,” an answer I’ve often heard, and was very surprised by (S. Lewis, personal communication, February 8, 2017).

Then I asked her the opposite of that–what she felt was the most rewarding part of her job. She went more in depth with this response, discussing her experiences chronologically, saying “As a public defender, it was the feeling of winning a case–the criminal cases. In criminal law, it was always very stressful because well, you’re mainly working with criminals, and the consequences and things at stake were very serious. In estates, trusts, and wills, the worse that could happen is someone getting less money than they want. But in criminal law, it could mean someone’s imprisonment or life at risk.” She stopped to think, then continued. “There was a lot of money working at the big tax firm. There were also things like free gym membership, breakfast, and car rides if home if you were working late. So that was nice.” Continuing on, she said, “pro-bono work is very rewarding. It’s a great feeling helping someone. And when someone has a question, you’re able to answer it and you can tell they feel better” (S. Lewis, personal communication, February 8, 2017).

I asked Sarah what her starting salary was, and she said that “back then, in 1980, when I first started as a public defender, I was making $14,000 a year. I got a raise later to $16,000.” She laughed and nodded her head. “The big firm paid a lot more.”

I asked her if she ever stayed late working, and she answered, saying, “at the big firm, yes. I was working 6-7 days a week.”

Considering the amount of time spent working, I asked her if she found that her work life affected her personal life. She thought for a minute, then said, “a lot of my friends are lawyers, or were lawyers. And most of my boyfriends have been lawyers. So I would say, yes. You spend most of your time at work so most of the people you meet are lawyers“ (S. Lewis, personal communication, February 8, 2017).

Then I asked her how many cases she would handle at once. She said, “As a public defender, it was a lot. About 6, 7 cases, and 1 appeal a week. At the big firm, it was about 10 cases at once.”

I asked her what made her decide to go into law, and she gave me a surprising answer. “I didn’t” she said. “I wasn’t one of those people who always knew or wanted to go into law. I actually wanted to be a midwife.” She laughed. “But I didn’t get into midwife school. And so literally, what happened was my friend, a neighbor, was going to law school. So I thought, let me try that. I took the LSAT, really barely studied at all, did pretty well, and went to law school.”

Finally, I asked Sarah what type of person or characteristics she would say would be best fit for this career. “Definitely someone who’s not timid. Very hardworking, likes to read and write – there’s a lot of reading” she answered (S. Lewis, personal communication, February 8, 2017).

I left the interview with a lot to think about. Some of the things Sarah told me, I already knew about. Other things, however, came as a surprise. When I first decided to study paralegal studies, I was mostly interested in criminal law. However, with each passing semester, I find myself growing further away from this field of law. Additionally, Sarah’s answers regarding the law office environment as well as her comments about a general dislike among her lawyer friends about the career was a bit disheartening to hear. However, I did like how she mentioned that pro-bono work is very rewarding; based on her responses I now feel that if I do decide to pursue a career in law, I will likely be looking into nonprofit work.

2. Leonardo Calegare

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Leonardo Calegare
    DATE: March 23, 2017
    SUBJECT: Project 1, Interview Report

I walked into the Law Office of Altamura & Crossin on February 8, 2017, in Union City, NJ. The Senior Partner, Richard P. Crossin, welcomed questions for 15 minutes, and within this time my intention was to clarify expectations of daily responsibilities in this career, but also to find ultimate goals.
    To begin the interview, I asked Richard P. Crossin, to tell me what made he choose this career path. Richard told me, “As a young person, I thought that lawyers suppose to make a difference in society and the world, that they stand up for the weak” (R.P. Crossin, Senior Attorney, February 8, 2017). Richard’s response was in direct sync with how I see my career path. While the monetary compensation in this field can be substantial, as Richard put, “starting salary that ranges from $35,000 to $135,000” (R.P. Crossin, Attorney, February 8, 2017), the main focus is the idea that you are doing your job because you can help other people.
    Next, I asked Richard what were the skills necessary to tackle some of the most challenging aspects of this type of work. Richard responded that, “To begin with, one needs focus, good communication skills, both written and verbal, plus good analytical skills” (R.P. Crossin, Senior Attorney, February 8, 2017). Further, RIchard said, “Trying to meet clients’ expectation can be difficult because people sometimes have an unrealistic idea of what the Law can do for them” (R.P. Crossin, Senior Attorney, February 8, 2017). Here, Richard drives the point home. Law is suppose to help people resolve their disputes, and to accordingly punish those that committed crimes. In my brief experience with my studies, internship, and life itself, I can definitely say that people in general fantasize with the idea of receiving a lot of money through the legal system. Additionally, like Richard mentioned, i know how people can get frustrated at the lawyer when they don’t get the results they originally imagined.
    Lastly, I asked Richard if in this profession one is able to make enough time, specially in the beginning, for one’s family. Richard answered, “Without a question” (R.P. Crossin, Senior Attorney, February 8, 2017). “It’s easy to close everything off and bury yourself in your work,” Richard added, “but sometimes people use work to avoid family issues” (R.P. Crossin, Senior Attorney, February 8, 2017). Today, I am working full-time and studying, while providing for my wife and two children, just so that in a near future I could spend more time with them. Richard’s words gave me comfort to know that this career choice is very feasible, and rewarding.
    Richard P. Crossin has been practicing Law for 38 years. He graduated Law School debt free and has also a Philosophy and an English degrees. His office consists of two attorneys, two secretaries, and a paralegal. He is a general practitioner that deals with health care proxies, bankruptcies, wills, buying/selling houses, immigration, arrests, divorces, just to cite a few of the most common areas of practice in his local neighborhood. As a Senior Partner at his firm, Richard does not have a fixed number of hours of work per week, nor a fixed weekly itinerary, e.g, some municipal courts open only at 5:30pm. Ten years from now Richard would like to see himself in a beach “somewhere” (R.P. Crossin, Attorney, February 8, 2017).

3. Adrian Valarezzo

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Adrian Valarezo
    DATE: March 23, 2017
    SUBJECT: Project 1 Interview Report

On February 4, 2017 I invited over my home a close friend of mine for a law career related interview, her name is Victoria Sapoviski. She is a paralegal at a law firm in New Jersey.
    I began the interview by asking for her basic information, her name, age and position at the law firm she is employed in. her response was, “My name is Victoria Sapoviski i am 24 years old, and i am a entry level paralegal. (Victoria Sapoviski, personal communication, February 4, 2017).
    My second question to her was What is the name of the law firm she is located and, where is it located? Ms. Sapoviski answered, “The name of the law firm that i am currently employed in is named The Law Office of Micheal B. Zimmerman, and it is located in New Jersey. How long have you worked there? She replied that “she has worked there over two years”(Victoria Sapoviski, personal communication, February 4, 2017).
    An important question that most of us would like to know is the salary rate in this field, so i asked Ms. Sapoviski, What is her current yearly salary? she told me that it may vary by the amount of hours and overtime she completes, but it is roughly $20,000 to $30,000 a year, this also depends on the level of education you have received” (Victoria Sapoviski, personal communication, February 4, 2017), so i ask her what is her level of education? she replied “that she has completed an associate’s level degree”(Victoria Sapoviski, personal communication, February 4, 2017). Now this is important because as a student i need to be aware of the job market and how salary is based. I am graduating from an ABA approved program with a bachelor’s degree in Paralegal Studies, and through my research i have noted that with a degree like mine i can achieve a higher salary than that of Ms. Sapoviski.
    I continued interviewing Ms. Sapoviski; At The Law Office of Micheal B. Zimmerman, is there room for promotion? She replied, “Yes, there is a position for a Paralegal Management, and there is always Law School to become a lawyer at the firm.”(Victoria Sapoviski, personal communication, February 4, 2017). I plan to continue my studies in law school. It is beneficial to know that there are law firms such as Law Office of Micheal B. Zimmerman they encourage promotions such as becoming perhaps a contract attorney, partner attorney, or a non equity partner. In fact it might be easier to receive the position in a law office you have already worked in for years, since you might know their procedures, and the office employees.
    I wanted to know what made Ms. Sapoviski choose this profession, I asked her how did she go about choosing her career? She replied “She was always interested in the law and how it co existed with society, that she might enjoy the work of handling legal matter at a law firm” (Victoria Sapoviski, personal communication, February 4, 2017) I can relate to her because i also enjoy the philosophical background that the law has evolved from. My next question was in relation to the question before, Do you enjoy the work that you do? She said “The way i am schedule makes me enjoy the work that i do much more since i am able to have time for other things in my life, as for the bulk work is tedious but is nothing out of the ordinary in the legal field” (Victoria Sapoviski, personal communication, February 4, 2017) I like the fact that she is still able to be content with the work that she does after two years of working as a paralegal, it is interesting to know that perhaps i will also not burnout after a few years of legal work, i believe it is a matter of being disciplined and wise to be able to work in a the legal field.
    I wanted to know her plans for the future if she will continue as a paralegal in the current law firm she is in she told me “Well i am planning to grow both professionally and personally, i am thinking of obtaining a higher position such as a supervising paralegal, or the office manager in this law firm or another.” (Victoria Sapoviski, personal communication, February 4, 2017) It is wise to know that there are many other positions a paralegal with a certain degree and experience can fill in a law firm, this gives me a wide spectrum of career options.
    This interview was overall informative work. It brought me insight of a possible future career. Depending of the degree i obtain could lead to a higher salary, whether the work that i will be doing continue to enjoy as time passes in this field, or whether there are possibilities of growth in the field. All this brings helpful information so i can also one day prospect in career in the legal field.

4. Steven Rivera

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Steven Rivera
    DATE: 23 March, 2017
    SUBJECT: Project 1, Interview Report

I email interviewed Jerron Smith over the course of a few days to discuss the UX design field. Being an author and expert in multiple disciplines, tapping into his mind to see how he thinks and how he works was an opportunity I couldn’t let pass before moving into the workforce.

In trying to get a foot in the door of the UX design field, I asked Jerron what skills are required to get the position. Jerron replied, “Flexibility, empathy, knowledge of user testing and user research techniques. Some technical skills like front end coding, and knowledge of software like photoshop, Illustrator or sketch are also helpful.” (S. Jerron, email communication, February 9, 2017). That seems like many different areas that have to be conquered in order to be in this field. I’m happy to note that I do have experience with the mentioned software and the coding. I’ve taken four coding classes up to this point, and am currently taking three more. The only experience I have with user testing and user research techniques have only come from school; I might have to try to get more time with that outside of school. Empathy comes natural to me.

Knowing what is needed for the position, I now wanted to know what can I expect in a job interview for this field? Jerron’s response was, “Confusion on the part of the person doing the interview. Most hiring managers do not know what the difference between UX and UI and visual design are. If you are interviewing with someone who does know you can expect lots of questions about process.” (S. Jerron, email communication, February 9, 2017). That seems rather disappointing, although I did expect this already. Most companies, if they can, would love to truncate skills and responsibilities for a position. They will be trying to get the most they can from an employee. There is a big confusion in the design industry from what I have experienced so far. Most people think if you are a graphic designer, that you are an artist; meaning you can draw, illustrate, layout, video, photograph and any other of the other numerous media specialties out there. It is rather annoying and is definitely leaves the designer at a disadvantage. You are expected to do just about anything on the computer which simply is not the case.

With knowing what skills are critical to getting the job and knowing what to expect at an interview, I wondered, and so asked Jerron, what would keep me competitive once I secured that position. Jerron said, “You have to be willing to devote yourself to a course of constant education. Attending trade shows, professional meetings, even meetups can all be helpful to staying competitive.” (S. Jerron, email communication, February 9, 2017). Constant education is something I have come to terms with in this field. Coding standards are always changing on the web. Newer and better syntax is constantly being tested and rolled out within the different languages one must know to be a web developer and user experience/user interactive designer. The trade shows and meetups sound like a plus side to all this. Seems like they could be fun.

Jerron Smith has been working since he was seventeen, about twenty-five years, in various positions within the design field. He owns his own company, PixelTao LLC, and mostly does contracting work. He is also an adjunct professor in various schools across NYC, while also teaching other professionals in the field. He is an author of technical books of various disciplines that include many of Adobe’s products. His specialties include animation, web design, and UI/UX design among others. He has a Master of Arts in Communication Arts with a specialization in Computer Graphics from Queens College of the City University of New York where he graduated with distinction.

5. Zeeshan Ahmad

TO: Professor Jason W. Ellis
    FROM: Zeeshan Ahmad
    DATE: March 23, 2017
    SUBJECT: Project 1, Interview Report

I interviewed one of my class fellow David Herrera by Email, who has 14 years of experience in Electrical field and currently employed by NYC Department of Building as an Electrical Inspector. Before I sent him interview questions, I asked him in person on February 3 if he can answer my questions to which he agreed on. I interview him because of his knowledge and experience in Electrical Field which is my future career.

I sent Herrera few interview questions through Email, and he responded very specifically. I asked him what skills are required to be an Electrical Inspector. Herrera responded, “This current position requires an in-depth knowledge of NYC electrical codes as well as NEC standards. Also, it requires a keen attention to detail because not everything that looks professional or neat is in code compliance and vice versa” (D. Herrera, personal communication, February 5, 2017). Herrera response was very specific but covered a lot of details. In order to get this job, the detail knowledge of NYC and National Electrical Code is mandatory.

I asked Herrera what is one of the most challenging thing about your job. He responded, “One of the most challenging aspects about my job is having to put a stop work order to jobs which represent a severe hazard to the workers or most importantly the public. This is a difficult decision because when a STOP work order is issued you are basically putting the workers at that jobsite out of work and the have families to feed, but you also have to make this decision because an innocent person can get hurt or even killed by some unsafe worksites” (D. Herrera, personal communication, February 5, 2017). Indeed, it is one of the most challenging decision an Inspector can ever take. It directly affects workers, their families, and public as well. I believe this job also requires a person with great analytical skills who can take right decisions in right time.

I also asked him about his work ethics and how he is being evaluated in the workplace. He answered, “The way you are evaluated is based on your attendance, punctuality, attitude, professional appearance, and overall knowledge of the NYC building codes” (D. Herrera, personal communication, February 5, 2017). I agree to Herrera’s response and assure that attendance and punctuality are one of the most factors an employee is being evaluated by.

Besides these questions, I asked him questions related to job description, job security, emergency situations, and the safety rules of this job itself. His responses were all to the point and gives complete details about the requirements of the job.

6. Jozef

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Jozef Loderer
    DATE: March 23, 2017
    SUBJECT: Project 1, Interview Report

On February 4, 2017 I interviewed three people via e-mail about the law profession, being Alan J. Stopek, Professor Gale Elston, and Professor Lise Hunter. Mr. Stopek was my immigration lawyer and helped me to emigrate to the United States, while Professor Elston and Professor Hunter are attorneys, and also teach at City Tech.

To begin the interview I asked the people I e-mailed what their current job title, or position is. Stopek answered that “he is a sole practitioner attorney and business owner.” (A.J. Stopek, e-mail communication, February 4, 2017) Elston is also a business owner and owns a small law firm in New York City (G. Elston, e-mail communication, February 4, 2017), while Hunter explained that she was “a licensed attorney and currently a professor at NYCCT.” (Hunter, e-mail communication, February 8, 2017)

Because I am interested in entering the law profession, and plan on attending law school in the foreseeable future I was interested to hear what professionals that had been practicing law for many years had to say about the future of the law profession. Stopek’s answer was bleak when it comes to the future of law firms such as his, in that he believes that in the future there will be an increased demand for larger firms for the private bar. (A.J. Stopek, e-mail communication, February 4, 2017) Elston reaffirmed Stopek’s outlook and said that “legal services are too expensive for most consumers resulting increasingly in services for commercial purposes or the better off.” She further added that there is a real lack of affordable services for the middle class. (G. Elston, e-mail communication, February 4, 2017) While Hunter no longer practices law and teaches full time at NYCCT she believes that “the legal profession is changing and it is going to be important for lawyers to have enhanced technology skills.” (Hunter, e-mail communication, February 8, 2017)

One can never get enough good advice, and there should be no doubt that experienced attorneys know very well what it takes to succeed in such a competitive profession. I was therefore intrigued to learn what the three people I had interviewed had to say when it comes to giving advice to aspiring law students. Stopek’s answer was brief and to the point that one has to work hard, but also smart. (A.J. Stopek, e-mail communication, February 4, 2017) Elston and Hunter were more elaborate with their answers, most likely a result of having knowledge of not just the law profession itself, but also the academic aspect of it. Elston stressed that “doing an internship in an area of law one is interested in, while researching growth of work in that area to get a realistic picture of what one is likely to end up doing” is of tremendous importance. (G. Elston, e-mail communication, February 4, 2017) Hunter’s advice focused on the immense financial burden law students end up working for and said that “one needs to be clear about the reasons for wanting to attend law school because it is a tremendous commitment of time and financial obligation.” Hunter, e-mail communication, February 8, 2017)

7. sonja

Memorandum

TO:Professor Ellis
    FROM: Sonja Goulbourne
    DATE: February 22, 2017
    SUBJECT: Interview with Sarah Acker

I conducted an informational interview with Mrs. Sara Acker on February 7, 2017. Mrs. Acker has been a professional in the legal field for more than 20 years. This memo includes a summary of her responses to specific questions asked via email. The main objective of the interview was to gain further knowledge of the paralegal industry to help determine whether this would be an optimal career track to pursue. During the interview my goal was to ascertain the following:
    1. The types of opportunities available in the paralegal industry
    2. Whether paralegal work was a high stress job
    3. How the economy impacted paralegal job opportunities

I started my interview with the many years of experience that Mrs. Acker possessed as a paralegal foremost in my mind. Based on her longevity in the field, I asked whether she had any sage advice to someone interested in becoming a paralegal. Her response to; “explore the many options of where to work” provided insight into the many different areas one could choose to seek employment. Mrs. Acker made the typical recommendations of law firms and the corporate world as viable options, however what surprised me the most was her suggestion in the field of government. Before this interview, I had never considered paralegals working and using their skills in a governmental capacity and her response piqued my interest to further research and learn more in this specific area on my own.
    Due to the impact of stress in my current business based work environment, I wanted to know comparatively what role stress played in her day to day activities. Mrs. Acker indicated that conflicting deadlines when working for multiple lawyers created the most tension, but ultimately the lawyers in a firm decided which task would take precedence. She stated that prioritizing on the job was not usually a part of the paralegal’s role and this type of structure allowed for less pressure. Since transitioning to a low stress work environment is very important to me, I found this response to be a positive one.
    I was also interested in learning how the changing economic climate affected the paralegal field. Mrs. Ackers’ response was not encouraging. She mentioned there was a “glut of attorneys” currently saturating the industry and referenced recent law school graduates applying for jobs typically offered to paralegals. Mrs. Acker explained this was a very frustrating experience that limited job opportunities for paralegals as law school grads were considered to be more qualified. I found this information to be valuable in helping to manage expectations in regards to the job market and increased awareness of the type of competition one might face when seeking employment.
    Overall, I found the interview to be very informative and will consider all the information provided by Mrs. Acker while moving forward towards a career in the paralegal industry.
    Mrs. Acker is currently employed in the legal department at Kohls Department Store where she manages the intellectual property portfolio for the company along with other paralegal related job duties. Mrs. Acker responded to interview inquires via her email account at sarahacker729@gmail.com.

8. Ronald Hinds

TO: Professor Ellis

FROM: Ronald C. Hinds

DATE: March 23, 2017

SUBJECT: Project 1, Interview Report

I interviewed Mr. Solomon Mate, on Sunday, February 05, 2017 on the telephone about his job. His experience as an asbestos inspector is vast and his attention to detail remarkable. I interviewed him because I am interested in a career as a professional technical writer. This conversation affirmed my career choice.

I began the interview by asking Mate what he liked best about his job and he replied “I enjoyed visiting hundreds of job sites and experienced, with joy, many different meals in this diverse city.” (S. Mate, personal communication, February 5, 2017). During the interview his dry wit wafted through his responses to my questions.

I asked Mate a series of specific questions about his work experience. As a Car Inspector, I have knowledge of what an “inspector” does, so I conducted the interview with some general knowledge of the job. The first question posed was: How long has he worked in this career as an asbestos inspector? His answer; “Thirty years as an employee of the City of New York as a laboratory chemist and five years, and counting, as the Chief Executive Officer of his own Company.” (S. Mate, personal communication, February 5, 2017).

I learn when I talk to Mate because of his easy manner and he spoke the same way on the telephone. The second question was did anyone encourage him in pursuing this job? He replied that no one encouraged him. “It was self motivation and I had to take care of my young family members and pay the bills.” (S. Mate, personal communication, February 5, 2017).

A major undertaking about this new career is understanding the required skills for the job. So I posed the question to Mate: What skills are required? He replied that he had to take a qualifying examination and subsequently receive hands on training. And a follow up question was: What was the most challenging aspect(s) of the job? He replied that it was learning new assignments. At times collection of bulk samples of asbestos material had to be analyzed in the laboratory. Meticulous recording of results had to be maintained for review.

Being a stickler for safety I asked him the following question: What are the safety rules for this job? He replied, in his usual precise manner: “Understanding regulations promulgated by the Federal government and any other applicable safety regulations; O.S.H.A.” (S. Mate, personal communication, February 5, 2017). He reiterated that the job was not asbestos removal but inspection. The building architect has to show that an asbestos inspection was done. So the ensuing report has to be written in a professional manner.

It was my responsibility to enquire about mobility in a career move. I wondered about how my efficiency would be measured; How is your efficiency or performance evaluated in the workplace? His personal efficiency was above average. He continued: “One has to comply with agency standards. Handing in reports in a timely fashion. Helpful suggestions about work and satisfactory lateness and absence performance.”

I asked Mate a series of questions relating to financial issues viz. Is there a pension plan? Does the employer provide medical benefits? Is there an annual vacation package? He answered these questions in the affirmative.

Mr. Solomon Mate had a successful 30 year career working for the City of New York. He was trained as a chemist and enjoyed and still enjoys working in this field. He continues doing this work–simply an activity to perform after retirement. While he did not write professionally for publications his reports provided the architect with the ability to provide residences and office spaces in New York City.

9. Doneek Drumgo

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Your Name
    DATE: March 23,2017
    SUBJECT: Project 1, Interview Report

I interviewed a classmate named Ronald Hinds. We strategically talked about the duties of a car inspector at the MTA. I conducted this interview on February 3, 2017. This interview took place at a cafe in Whole Foods Supermarket. I wanted electrical engineering industry knowledge.

To begin with, I asked Hinds,’ what does your job consist of?’ Hinds told me’ it consists of inspecting a group box which consist of switches,contact wires,cables, relay system and ability to read schematics.’(Ronald, Person Communication,February 3,2017). This response helped me learn the different things i could deal with as a electrical engineer. It allowed me to do more research on the functions of a group box.

Next, I told Hinds,’ What skills are required for the car inspector position?’ Hinds responded by saying’ You need electrical skills, mechanical skills and the ability to pass a exam by the city for this position.’(Ronald, Person Communication,February 3,2017). This response showed me what type of skills i am required to have to be a car inspector. It allowed me to prepare to gather the necessary knowledge needed if i decided to become a car inspector in the career. of electrical engineering.

After, I asked Hinds,’ What is the most challenging thing about your work?’ Hinds said’ being able to troubleshoot a problem or solving any failures are the most challenging thing at work.(Ronald, Person Communication,February 3,2017). Hinds’s response allowed me to gain insight on specific challenges that electrical engineers face. It allowed me to prepare myself of what is to come as i continue to work my way into a career in Electrical Engineering.

In Conclusion, I have learned lots of things about Hinds’ s job. I learned he has been there for 26 years. Also he was paid 20 dollars per hour. Benefits of being a car inspector of the MTA included dental, hospital health care and prescription drugs. Overall I feel this was a well conducted interview that allowed me to gain knowledge on how it is to be in the career of Electrical Engineering.

10. luisvasconez23

To: Professor Ellis
    From: L. L. Vasconez
    Date: Feb. 16, 2017
    Subject: Project 1, Interview Report

The career I’m pursuing is Electrical Engineering, I interview Vanessa Mejia, Currently working as an Associate Engineer at Metro-North Railroad. She is a former City Tech Grad Student. I interview Vanessa through email. She was really helpful and was open to answer any question i had, and assured me she will help me out with anything else i needed. She took one day to get back at me with all the questions answered.

One of the first questions i asked to begin my interview was the reason why she choose the career path as an Electrical Engineering. Mejia told me, “I attended Queens Vocational Technical high school and my trade was electrical installation. I really enjoy learning about electricity and how the wiring is made therefore I wanted to expand my knowledge by going to college for electrical engineering technology.” (1. Vanessa Mejia, currently an associate electrical engineer, February 6, 2017.) While early education relating electrical subjects was Mejia’s inspiration to pursue an electrical carrier, i’m also inclined to an electrical field, because i always found electricity fascinating, i decided to follow a carrier that was electrical field.

The second question i asked her after was the difficulty to find a job with a degree in Electrical Engineering. Mejia answer me, “Since I hold an electrical engineering technology it was a difficult to find a job. I had to explain the difference between both degrees and explain how both degrees are related to each other. Furthermore, it took me 6 months to find a full time job in my field. I submitted resumes and cover letters one semester before graduating. However, I did get some call back and interviews. I got three job offers during those 6 months I had to wait in which company would provide me both the learning and promotion opportunity for my career. Making a decision in which area of electrical engineering you want to start your career is also a major part of finding a job.” (1. Vanessa Mejia, currently an associate electrical engineer, February 6, 2017.) While it took her 6 months to find the right job, i’m also worried that it will take me a couple of months more to find the job i desire. I have also applied with my current Associate Degree in Applied Science but i have not get any luck.

The following question i asked was if her job required more of physical work or mental work. She replied, “I would say my job is more mental. Every day we have to make decisions that would impact the railroad therefore, we always have to come up with an operation plan in how we can keep everything running and everything is cover.”(1. Vanessa Mejia, currently an associate electrical engineer, February 6, 2017.) Although, when i hear the term Electrical Engineering i think of physical work, Mejia’s job demands more of mental work. However, the job i see myself working is physical. I like more of a hands on job such as, Con-Ed or Verizon.

11. Anelsy R

TO: Professor Ellis

FROM: Anelsy Rodriguez

DATE:02/23/2017

SUBJECT: Project 1, Interview Report

In an interview with Oneida Rodriguez on February 23, 2017, I asked her some question about her experience in her job environment in the department of education which I think is and interesting department. My point of view of this department was different for I though, and I was surprise with her answers.

I was a little surprise when I asked her what was the best thing about her job, and she said, “It is an open communication with the diversity of the people who I work with, and that is something that I like to my job.” I thought that was one of the most difficult think in that department because they have to deal with different kind of people and they need to be careful the words that they use.

Another question that I asked Oneida was “why did you select to work in that department?” According to her, this is an excellent department that can help children, and deal with solutions to solve future problem that they can have, and also she can gets experience in how deals with her own children. Nowadays, it is too difficult to raise a child and I think working in the department of education should be an excellent guide to teach people how to educate their children because they can learn a lot from the behavior of the children.

It is important the behavior that we have to keep a job. According to Oneida what we have to do “We have to continue working on learning new pressures, and regulations.” This process helps her to keep working in that department, and. I think this is important, but another thing that we have to be careful is that we need to be punctual, and respect the rules of the department.
    Department of education is an interesting place to work. It has good thinks, and bad thinks like in every place that works. But, after listening the opinions of Oneida, and How that increase and helps her professional and everyday environment, I think this will be an excellent place to work. Her experiences were a motivation for me to work there.

12. kangyiliu

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Kangyi Liu
    DATE: 02/23/17
    SUBJECT: Project 1, Interview Report

I interviewed Ming Lin and Jameson. We talked about what is the career doing in the field. I chart my friend with Ming Lin in 02/02/17 and i spoke with Jameson in 02/11/17. I interview at the workplace with jameson and interview online with Ming Lin. Because they have job experiments about my career. We had very good conversation with each other.
    The questions that I intend to ask the interviews include:
    Name: xiao ming
    • What is your job title?
    Electrical supplies house salesman
    • What made you choose this career path?
    The company is near to his house, and he likes the job.
    • How do you get the job?
    By looking at the newspaper
    • What skill are required to get the position?
    Speak fluently in English and the knowledge about electrical products.
    • Were you required to take exam for your job?
    No require
    • How long have you worked in this career/field?
    About three years
    • What is the starting salary?
    2400 per month
    • What is the salary now?
    3200 per month
    • Do you prefer part time or full time job?
    fulltime
    • How many days do you work a week?
    He works six days
    • What is the most challenging thing about your field?
    It is difficult to communicate with customers who don’t know electrical things very well.
    • What is the best thing you like to do in your field?
    He like to communicate with his co-workers.
    • Is there anything you are not allowed to do in your field?
    The boss not allowed workers’ lateness.
    • Do you design projects for your field?
    no.
    • do you need to work with a team?
    No necessary
    • Is there room for promotion or personal improvement?
    Investment for the company is the best promotion.
    • What age do you plan to retired?
    He plan to change the job the next following year, because he like to do something hands on.

Name: jameson
    • What is your job title?
    Installation repair refrigerators worker
    Because he already knew the skilled when he just came to American, and he support his family by doing this job.
    • How do you get the job?
    By looking at the newspaper
    Need to how to fixed refrigerator and work hard.
    No require
    About ten years
    • What is the starting salary?
    1600 per month
    • What is the salary now?
    3400 per month
    Fulltime
    • How many days do you work a week?
    He works 40+ hours.
    It is difficult to communicate with customers who speaking English because he don’t speak English.
    The boss doesn’t allow worker to come back before the refrigerators are fixed. You have fixed the refrigerators by the day. They are not allowed make the price higher.
    Do you design projects for your field?
    No.
    • do you need to work with a team?
    2 people.
    No room for promotion.
    • What age do you plan to retired?
    No planed.

13. sonja

Memorandum

TO:Professor Ellis
    FROM: Sonja Goulbourne
    DATE: February 22, 2017
    SUBJECT: Interview with Sarah Acker

14. Isaiah

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Isaiah Emanuel
    DATE: March 16, 2017
    SUBJECT: Project 1, Interview Report Memo

My name is Isaiah Emanuel; I am a student at the New York City College of Technology. On February 4, 2017 I conducted an interview with a Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) Train Operator. The name of the MTA Train Operator is Russell Edwards. The interview was conducted through google docs.

This reason for the interview was to obtain more insight into the career of an MTA Train Operator. I believe that the best way to learn what it would be like to work as an MTA Train Operator is a conduct an interview with one. After conducting the interview, I that there are no requirements to obtain the job, but the training lasts 7-9 months depending on which division you choose. I also learned that Russell’s job title is Train Operator for the New York City Transit and the starting salary is $67,000.

The interviewee, Russell Edwards is my brother-in law, he has been working in his in this career for one year and 6 months. His work day consists of the transportation of the public. The most challenging thing about his work is to ensure the safety of thousands of passengers. When asked is there any aspect of your job that you do not like? Russell responded “I don’t like the harsh consequences for if you get into any trouble, such as hit a red signal or overrun a station or if someone wants to end their life and jump in front of your train, you must be tested for drugs and alcohol” (R. Edwards, personal communication, February 4, 2017).

15. Daniel

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Daniel. O. L
    DATE: 3/23/17
    SUBJECT: Project 1 Interview Report draft 1

I needed to know more information on a possible engineering career path, luckily one of the people i reached out to conduct an interview responded. I decided to interview a friend of mine, Emmanuel Lee. I sent a list of question I thought would be insightful through email and only a few moments later got a response.

The first question I ask was what was his job title and Lee responded “My job title is a Field Service Technician” (E. Lee, personal communication,2/15/17). My following question I felt was as crucial as the previous in my decision, Which part of the job do you enjoy? I asked. Lee responded “I enjoy the part where I get to go straight from my home to my first service call as soon as my day starts and not have to report to any office or department before leaving to go to the customer.”(E. Lee, personal communication,2/15/17). Knowing that as a Field Service Technician I can cut out the medium of an office to report to which from there I would need to go to my site would be time consuming for a commute and between the three points anything could prove a delay.

My next question was, What challenges if any do you face day to day?. Lee replied “The only challenges I have faced with this job are customers being difficult with you and trying to figure out the source of the problem if it is not apparent.“(E. Lee, personal communication,2/15/17). I was unsure how to accept this since it would seem one would need a considerable amount of patience to deal with customers with attitudes all while trying to work with them to solve a problem. This is something I believe I would need to work on for any future job position I would want.

How Limited is your job?, Lee responded “My job is not very limited. There is plenty room for growth and freedom to use your own ideas to complete the task at hand.”(E. Lee, personal communication,2/15/17). I liked this response since I could use any ideas i see fit to solve on site issue. From this I believe I could learn new techniques through the trial and error and experience I would receive while on the job

16. Win

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Win Naing
    DATE: March 23, 2017
    SUBJECT: Interview questions for Project 1

My carrier goal is to work as a freelance graphic designer and illustrator. I believe working as a self employer is the best way for my nature. But, without doing a research, it could not be a good assumption. In this case, I decide to ask this list of questions to elicit information about about from someone in that field. I have plan to interview friend, Neminn Wynn, a graphic designer.
    I also intend to ask these questions to another 2 persons, if possible. Professor Accardo, and Professor Eli Neugeboren, who teach and also are illustrators.

What is your job title?
    How Long have you worked in this career/field?
    What does your work day consist of?
    What made you choose this career path?
    Is there room for promotion or personal improvement?
    What skills are required to get the position?
    What is the most challenging thing about your work?
    Did anyone encourage your or support you in pursuing this job?
    What are the safety rules for this job?
    What is the starting salary?
    How you are evaluated in the workplace?
    Did you join any design clubs or associations, like AIGA?
    Any plan to become as freelancer in the future, if so, when?
    Do you think LinkedIn is effective for the designers? Or any social media?
    How often you go to the networking events for the designers? Do you think they are effective?
    Have you start your retirement plan. Linke IRA, IRA Roth?
    How do you see yourself in next 10 Year?
    How do you maintain your work life balance?
    Your hobby?
    What is the “take away” from this interview?

—————————————————————————————————————

Interview with Mr. Neminn Wynn.
    2/20/2017

In a beautiful Sunday day evening, I met with Mr Neminn Wynn, in a cafe in Brooklyn. Wynn is a freelance senior graphic designer who I knew him for a couple of years ago. We also have work together in a freelance design project before. I remember his name easily because of his last name “Wynn” is much similar to as my first name “Win”. He was born in Burma, the country which is also called Myanmar these days. He moved to US more than 15 years ago. I got is BA degree in Graphic Arts and Design form City College of New York, CUNY. He said, “I’ve been working in this field for about 9 years” (N. Wynn, personal communication, February 2017).

When I asked him what does his work day consist of, he answered that, there are a lot of digital marketing (designs), creating digital assets, creating email templates, and some (designs for) print promotions. He choose this career path because he always wanted to create beautiful things, creating something new, being creative. This is why he chose to go for this type of school, and became a graphic designer after that.

I asked him about his current position and the requirements. He work for short term contracts like 2-3 months long in each job. He explained, as a freelancer, his official position my change frequently, as well as skills and requirements may also change. It all depends upon the company he work for. “Generally, you need creativity” Wynn add “Adobe Creative Suite, mainly, PhotoShop, Illustrator, InDesign is the mast, and after that, you need basic graphic design skill, typography, and color theory”(N. Wynn, personal communication, February 2017).

Wynn said, as a graphic designer, there is always room for promotion or personal improvement. Promotion is depends on the company he work. The graphic designer need to know the situation of the company he or she is working. Some company have opportunity for the graphic designer to grow within the company. Unlike promotion, personal improvement doesn’t rely on anybody or any company. “It only rely on you, even if you finish from school, you can still improve yourself by learning new things all time, keep in touch with latest trends and latest technologies.” (N. Wynn, personal communication, February 2017). He also encouraged to young designers to keep on learning after the college.

I asked him about the most challenging things about his work and he explained, being a freelancer who have to move from one company to another in a few month, there are challenges every time when he has to move to new work place. Every company have their own tradition, own culture, so no matter with the previous experience, he have to adapt and learn the new way all the time. Different companies use different software. Emma, MailChimp, for instance, were the different software used for digital marketing platform, which are small things but could be quite challenging at the beginning.

When we talk about the clubs, associations, and networking Wynn reply me that he is a member of AIGA (American Institute of Graphic Arts), Art Directors Club and Student Publication Design SPD. He use to go to networking events for graphic designer once a month or once in a couple of month depends on his schedule. He believe these events are effective because he could learn some new things or sometime meet up with an important person from the industry. Most of them are friendly. “Be yourself, go out there… introduce yourself, and start networking, it’s very effective and I like it” Wynn added. (N. Wynn, personal communication, February 2017). He said LinkedIn is very effective for online networking for him. He recommend LinkedIn to the design students and anyone who want to excel in their career. He said, Behance.net, which is a digital portfolio page, is also very good for artist, designers and photographers to showcase their works. Behance is also owned by Adobe Inc., which is the leader in production of graphic design software.

I said, “You doesn’t look that old, but do you have started saving for your retirement, like IRA, IRA Roth etc.,?” and he said no. He haven’t started any of his retirement plans so far, because he have finish with his student loans not so long ago. As the last question, I ask him how he see himself in next ten years. He said, he already have 8-9 years of professional graphic designer experience. So in next 10 years, he want to be a creative director or an art director, who will be the mastermind behind the creative process. He really want to be someone who own the creative agency, an entrepreneur, and run his own creative business.

17. Shirley

TO:         Professor Ellis
    FROM:        Shirley Adelson
    DATE:        March, 23, 2017
    SUBJECT:    Project 1-Interview Report Memo- Draft 1

For 3 yrs. my career goals were to set a path in becoming a Healthcare Administrator. Annette McGowan is an Healthcare Administrator at Lutheran Medical Center, we sat together at a cafe in Williamsburg, Brooklyn for brunch and spoke on ways geared to helping and understanding the expectations of becoming a Healthcare Administrator. Her years of experience within this job field will help build a great foundation in establishing a understanding to this career path.

To begin the interview process I started off with the question of what is your job title at Lutheran Medical Center to Mrs.McGowan and she responded,“I am the clinical director of the  Cardiovascular Unit at Lutheran Medical Center.”(A.McGowan,personal communication, 2/12/17). I lead with the next question of, What made you choose this career path and she stated, “I never really thought of being in the healthcare administration field initially, I was studying to be a financial analyst but when I was attending college I was working at a billing company during account receivable just to pay for school and meet a women there who thought me every about billing and she was a revenue manager for nearly 36 years, she trained me and  became a good friend of mine outside of work and ended up being a great mentor of mine when it came to my education.”(A.McGowan,personal communication,2/12/17). Know that Mrs.Gowan had went through the same path as me and became a health administrator through guidance and she is now one of my mentor is very influential for to continue the path I’m going and become someone’s mentor as well.

The next question I asked Mrs.McGowan was what is the starting salary of a healthcare administrator and she began to tell me, “ Well it depend on what area you choose to branch out to with your profession. There are so many areas you can go in when you are in the field of health care administration, but when I started in the field as an assistant revenue manager I was making a salary of $56,000 but continued moving up to different positions and making more as well as getting more experience, in the end at the current position I am in, I am now making a six figure salary.”(A.McGowan,personal communication, 2/12/17). After listening to her tell me this bit of information I know that I can take the same steps with applying for different positions and getting the experience I need to move up and get the right amount of salary I feel I need.

I continued the delightful conversation with another question that I was interested in knowing,Do you do any traveling for you job position and Annette responded with a smile, “Yes, there are times that I do have to travel for business purposes, with the medical facility I work for we do have outside vendors and clients we have to meet with and there are times we have to travel to discuss certain issues or discuss other matters with certain departments that need to be address. There even times administrators who have to travel for training sessions on new information or procedure that are occurring.”(A.McGowan,personal communication, 2/12/17).I asked this question because I wanted to know how much time this profession would take and how I would be able to manage traveling in my everyday life.

Sitting and having a insightful conversation with Mrs. McGowan was an incredible experience, She has been my mentor for nearly three years and I never really had the real opportunity to speak to her in such full depth about something we both love to do. Mrs. McGowan has been in this career field for 15 years and she would never change the path that she took. Although it can be a demanding job to do at time she would change her career for anything else. Interviewing Mrs. Annette was definitely what I need to get the understanding what’s to be expected in this career choice.

18. Leane

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Yelena Myshkovskaya Melnikov
    DATE: March 23,2017
    SUBJECT: Project 1, Interview Report

This February I met with Alla Dior, who works for Public Health Solutions. We met on the Coney Island boardwalk for a walk and to discuss her career as service coordinator and case manager. In the era of rapidly-changing health care structure, case managers and services coordinators play important role in coordination and delivery of services and better integration of care for the targeted population and Alla was able to provide me with the details of this career such as day-to-day activities, responsibilities, challenges, skills and education required just to name a few. Public Health Solutions provides early intervention programs for infants and toddlers with known or suspected developmental delays and as case manager and service coordinator Alla is actively involved in lives of children and parents whose cases she supervises and is directly responsible for the initial and ongoing coordination of services that are aimed to improve development in infants and toddlers.
    I asked Alla Dior to tell me what made her to chose this career path and she told me that during her college education in psychology major she was always interested in child development and being a case manager for children with or suspected developmental delays gives her the opportunity to have a hands on experience in the area of her interest. Alla told me “As a case manager and service coordinator I must meet with the family regularly. When I come for my follow up visit and notice even slight improvement in child’s development I realize the importance of the services we provide and the difference that we can make” (A. Dior, personal communication, February 11, 2017).
    In addition to reasons for the career choice I was also interested in Alla’s daily routine and the challenges she faces. Alla’s work day is filled with case reports writing, form filling, and extensive traveling to different locations in Brooklyn as well as Manhattan. Each of these tasks is time consuming and very often Alla’s work day extends beyond the eight hours and there are times when she works 10-12 hours a day and in some cases she conducts her follow up visits on the weekend. She told me that long work hours is a common practice in her career field. “Each case differs in level of difficulty, which make the work-load unpredictable and, in turn requires extra work hours. I can deal with the long hours as well as the weekends if the job requires it, but it would be good if my additional work was financially compensated. Unfortunately this is not the case” (A. Dior, personal communication, February 11, 2017). Moreover, when I asked how much employment security Alla has in this position she revealed that it is very minimal, practically none. Additionally, A.Dior said that she considers the high volume of cases that limit the time she can dedicate to each case and unpaid overtime are major dissatisfaction connected with the job.
    I was also interested to find out what education and skills profession such as case manager and service coordinator may require. A.Dior told me that bachelor degree in psychology, social work, or public health will be sufficient to enter the career field, but an individual who is interested in the job must also be computer literate and detail oriented,utilize efficient time management, and have effective communication and problem solving skills. A.Dior’s experience acquired through volunteer work and internships helped her to feel comfortable when she began her work at Public Health Solutions. When I asked her which aspects of her back ground have been most helpful for her, she told me that being bilingual and bachelor degree in psychology were beneficial for her career. A.Dior added “I also believe that my outgoing personality help me a lot in interaction with family members during my initial evaluation and follow up visits. It maybe difficult to deal with parents whose child exhibits developmental delay and being so called “people person” helps a lot in delicate situations” (A. Dior, personal communication, February 11, 2017).
    I truly enjoyed the conversation with Alla Dior. She is a unique and inspiring person who is driven to help the children and parents in need. Regardless of long work hours, no overtime pay, and extensive paperwork A. Dior finds her career interesting and satisfactory at the time, and in the future she plans to pursue Master degree in child development or public health. She hopes that higher education will allow her to advance in her career field and will give her the opportunity to be more involved in child development cases.

19. Sandra Huerta

TO: Professor Ellis

FROM: Sandra Huerta

DATE: March 2, 2017

SUBJECT: Project 1: Interview Report

I interviewed Hiram Vidal through email, I met him at Brooklyn Legal Services during an internship he was still a law school student. Vidal graduated law school on summer 2016, he works at a personal injury firm but he is in the process of transitioning into his passion, estate planning. I asked the interviewed some questions to gain over all knowledge of his career to which the starting salary of is $50 an hour.

The first question I asked Hiram Vidal was What is like to work in the law field? to which he answered “It is a responsibility I do not take lightly. People count on lawyers when they are most in need and therefore the profession demands focus. The assistance I provide people is rewarding.” The second question I asked was what is your job title? I am an attorney, but my job title is “Patient Advocate” he responded. Are you a full time or part-time worker I asked, full time worker he said. Additionally, I asked the interviewee how long has he worked in his field? the attorney said since two thousand and thirteen. In regards hos his job I asked if it was hard to find it, to this he responded “No, I started working my first break 1L year.” I asked for how long did he want to become an attorney, for over twenty years he said. I asked him what a regular day of work consist of? He said he travels throughout the city and advocates for personal injuries plaintiffs in court mandated doctor examinations. I asked the attorney what is the most challenging part of his job? to this he responded traveling from one location to another with only little time to make an appointment. In addition to his job challenges I asked What skills are required to get a Patient Advocate position? He said the ability to be outspoken and not be intimidated. I asked if there is room for promotion or personal improvement? The attorney said “There is not so much room for promotion, I pretty much am at the top of position at work. However, I can be given more responsibilities and more work. I can also practice law outside of my job.” I also asked what is the most rewarding thing about his job, he said “Preventing a doctor from asking questions that could potentially damage a plaintiff’s case.” I was very interested in asking what made him choose this career path? He responded “When I was a young boy I visited my aunts law office in Puerto Rico and fell in love with the idea of being an attorney. At that young age I knew I wanted to follow in my aunt’s footsteps; coincidentally she became my favorite aunt in that moment.” I asked if anyone encouraged him in pursuing his job, his parents subsidized his law school tuition. Towards the end of the interview I asked how much of what of what he learned in law school apply to his job, he said “Not much, honestly. But the advocacy skills I picked up along the way in law school help.” In regards to Law School I asked what was his favorite subject or class, he said “I was very interested in estate planning? Everyone will get old and the ability to make donation transfers of assets on or before death is an integral part of the bundle of rights allotted in property law. It is a field that will always need customers.” On current news I asked What is your opinion on the legal landscape going forward under the Trump regime? He said “As a newly admitted attorney I believe it is incumbent on me to learn as much as I can on immigration law. Now, more than ever, this country needs legal minds who can provide sound advice to populations of people facing prejudice from a country that once welcomed the masses.” I asked the interviewee if all attorneys should do pro bono work, to which he responded “Yes, free, competent access to relief in court is a right all should enjoy. Highly specialized and highly skilled attorneys should share their abilities with some who could not ever dream to afford the service.” The last question I asked was out of curiosity which is do you have a role model in the legal field? he responded “Yes, Sonia Soto mayor. As a Puerto Rican I know there are many negative stereotypes against my people. I am proud that a Puerto Rico has made it to the highest level of the America Judiciary. I am part of a people marginalized by its colonial status. Generations of my people live on public assistance, and it takes Puerto Rican role models, like Soto mayor, to show the rest that there is a way to escape the cycle and make an impact on this country.”

Over all with this interview I gain some knowledge on the field of personal injury, although I’m more interested in immigration law, I always keep an open door to offer help to those who need advocacy.

20. Shameena

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Shameena Rahaman
    DATE: March 16, 2017
    SUBJECT: Interview Questions for Project 1

My major is legal studies and as such I was asked to interview someone in the field with regards to their career. A paralegal is one who is qualified by education, training or work experience. He/she may is employed by an attorney, law firm, corporation, governmental agency or any other entity that performs specifically delegated substantive legal work which a lawyer is responsible for. The paralegal is responsible for all legal work except for presenting clients in court and giving legal advice. The paralegal that I choose for this interview is currently my supervising paralegal at the law firm of DNIS. Magda is currently the only paralegal to the six attorneys employed by the firm. She takes on the role of general manager for the law firm as well. I told her about this project and she volunteered to assist by contributing her knowledge on the subject. Magda and I met up at a local cafe, ordered some refresment and proceeded with the interview on February 22, 2017. The following are the questions and answers asked in the interview with paralegal Magda:

1.How long have worked in this career/field?
    “I have been here for 2 years.” (Magda, personal communication, February 22, 2017)

2.What does your work day consist of?
    “Lots of drafting documents and filing documents with the different courts.” (Magda, personal communication, February 22, 2017)
    3. What made you choose this career path?
    “It was the only major that I could’ve managed at the time because all it required was reading, having a family I did not have the opportunity to do much.” (Magda, personal communication, February 22, 2017)
    4. What is your job title?
    “I am a paralegal.” (Magda, personal communication, February 22, 2017)
    5. Is there room for promotion or personal improvement?
    “Improvement , yes. Promotion, no. Being that it’s a small firm and I am the only paralegal there isn’t any room for promotion.” (Magda, personal communication, February 22, 2017)
    6.What is the most challenging thing about your work?
    “The workload, being the only paralegal to six attorneys tend to get pretty overwhelming at times” (Magda, personal communication, February 22, 2017)
    7. Did anyone encourage you or support you in pursuing this job?
    “My husband did, he is amazing and helped me through school. He keeps encouraging me to pursue my dreams and to be happy. ” (Magda, personal communication, February 22, 2017)
    8. What are the safety rules for this job?
    “There is not really any safety rules about this job, it’s not like I’m operating heavy machinery. All that my daily tasks consist of is me using my computer, copy machine and office supplies.” (Magda, personal communication, February 22, 2017)
    9.What is the starting salary?
    “My starting salary was $15 per hour” (Magda, personal communication, February 22, 2017)
    10. Did your role and duties evolved since you started the job to present?
    “Yes. My workload keeps increasing, along with my daily tasks I also took on the role of a general manager for the firm. I do things like ordering supplies, taking appointments, maintaining the firm financial records and more.” (Magda, personal communication, February 22, 2017)
    11.Would you recommend your job to someone?
    “I would if it is something that they are interesting in.” (Magda, personal communication, February 22, 2017)
    12.What is the most interesting thing about your job?
    “Being able to help clients resolve their legal issues is the highlight of my day. If there is something that myself and the attorneys can do for the clients in order to avoid trial, I’m all for.” (Magda, personal communication, February 22, 2017)
    13.Have your consider changing career paths? If so, what lead you to reconsider your current career choice?
    “I always do when I’m having a bad day. But I love what I do and besides I am all done with school.” (Magda, personal communication, February 22, 2017)
    14.Would continue your education to move further along your career path or are you happy as is?
    “Maybe in a few years I will go for my masters but for now I would like to focus on my family.” (Magda, personal communication, February 22, 2017)
    15. Have you encountered any conflict in the workplace since you had this position?
    “Yes I have. When the attorneys are all making demands at the same time it tends to be a conflict. I am only one person and can only take care of one task at a time because it requires my full attention.” (Magda, personal communication, February 22, 2017)
    16. What is your future plan for your career?
    “I’ve always wanted to go to law school and become a lawyer. However, as time progress and my children requires more of my time I think I’m pretty good where I’m at right now.” (Magda, personal communication, February 22, 2017)
    17. What advice you have for upcoming paralegals?
    “It’s a career with pros and cons like any other but if it’s something that you love then the pros outweigh the cons” (Magda, personal communication, February 22, 2017)

21. Chauncey Dumaguing

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Chauncey Dumaguing
    DATE: March 23, 2017
    SUBJECT: Project 1, Interview Report

The following is from my interview with one of my teachers, Professor Reza Alipour. I interviewed him because not only is he a teacher, but he also is a consultant in electrical engineering. I interviewed him through email and I asked him about certain aspects of being an electrical engineer.

I emailed him fifteen questions that I liked to know about his job as a consultant on February 10, 2017 and received his answers to each question on February 14, 2017. To start, I asked him what his job title was. His response to the question was, “Project Engineer” (R. Alipour, personal communication, February 10, 2017).

As a follow up, I asked him how long he has been working in this career field. His response was, “31 years” (R. Alipour, personal communication, February 10, 2017).

The next question that I asked what does his work day consist. His answer to the question, “I am not sure what do you mean however I can be involved with design, construction, management, inspection, paper work and so on” (R. Alipour, personal communication, February 10, 2017). Since my question was asked properly over the email, he couldn’t answer it as best as he could. Nonetheless, he did describe the things he can be involved with in his job.

For my next question, I decided to go for something more personal and asked him what made him choose this particular career path. His response in the email was, “I was good in science and math. I was always been good at creating or fixing electrical equipment.” (R. Alipour, personal communication, February 10, 2017). Looking at the answer from the email he sent back, I can tell that he choose this career because he knew he was able to create the electrical equipment without a problem.

Continuing with the responses from the questions that I sent, I asked him if anyone encouraged or supported him with his career path choice. His response that was sent was, “It always takes a village to rise up but above all, maybe my father.” (R. Alipour, personal communication, February 10, 2017). I personally like the response knowing that his father was there for him with his decision to become an electrical engineer.

Moving on, I asked him if there is any room for a promotion or personal improvement. The answer to that was, “Always there is. You just have to see it.” (R. Alipour, personal communication, February 10, 2017). I wished I asked him to elaborate further so he could have given more information on this question.

Another question that I didn’t get much response from was what skills are required to get the position that he has. His answer to the question from the email was, “You have to prove you are the right person for the position.” (R. Alipour, personal communication, February 10, 2017). If I had worded the question better, I could have a better understanding into his job.

The next question, however, I did get enough information. I asked him in the email what is the most challenging thing about your work. He pointed out that office politics and solving unknown problems in engineering issues as the most challenging. It shows that something like office politics exist even in this field and this job will always be challenging when there is an issue no one knows how to solve.

After that question, I proceeded to ask him what are the safety rules for this job. His response to the question was, “Above all safety concern, Number 1 rule is : Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).” (R. Alipour, personal communication, February 10, 2017). From my knowledge, Personal Protective Equipment is a necessity in jobs that deal with dangerous materials such as unsupervised electrical equipment or chemicals that can negatively affect the body. Considering that, I can tell that safety is a high priority for this job.

Following up on this question, I asked if his workload took a fraction of his work day, the whole work day, or if it carried over onto the next day. He answered the email with, “This is a continuous and always issues carry itself to the next day.” (R. Alipour, personal communication, February 10, 2017). Knowing that, it tells me that the work on this job continues on day after day.

My next question, like the two other ones, wasn’t clear enough for him to give a complete answer that he wants to give. The question was are there any benefits received from this work. He did state that he doesn’t answer the question, but did mention that work benefits like Health Care, vacation, and retirement are available. He also mentioned personal satisfaction and how you need to love this line of work to do it.

My next question did get a answer I was hoping for. I asked him if he works alone or in groups, and if there are any disagreements when working together. His response in the email was, “We work as a team here. There is always disagreement but I never seen it beyond professional disagreement.” (R. Alipour, personal communication, February 10, 2017). I can tell that this line of work requires to always work with others, and that professional arguments will be a commonplace on how to proceed through the workplace.

The following question I asked him was if there is anyone that he reports to regarding his work load. His answer was, “I report to Chief Engineer.” (R. Alipour, personal communication, February 10, 2017).

I then asked if he enjoys working in this career field. He responded that he does enjoy working in this career very much.

And for the last question, because he also is a teacher and not just a Project Engineer, I asked if working in this field helps at all with his teaching. He said, “My work is in close relationship to courses I teach.” (R. Alipour, personal communication, February 10, 2017). From how I see it, the two jobs he has are closely related for him.

With all the questions that I sent him through email and the answers he had sent back, I see that the work in this career is difficult. With everything that I have learned and the interviewed I conducted, I can tell that working in this career is going to be moving uphill. However, I feel with the more knowledge I get, I think can be able take on this workload when I get the opportunity to work in this field.

22. sjm

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Steven Mathieu
    DATE: March 16, 2017

I’m currently a senior, studying Applied Mathematics – Information Science and for this
    Interview Question for Project 1 assignment i generated a series of collected questions to ask a friend who rather have his name anonymous about his experiences as a Project Management/Computer Specialists at Bank of America.
    He worked in several industries before entering Bank of America as an Project Management/Computer specialists, given that i’ve worked with him as well as with other specialists, who bare the title computer Specialists I’ve gain an immense amount of knowledge pertained to his job and what’s required to be a Project manager and Computer Specialists. Salary as an Computer Specialists at Bank of America tends to range from $60,000-$70,000 depended upon one experiences level thru their life from degrees, certificates, and skill sets. He stated that he’s been working at Bank of America for about five years currently, developing integrated interface that can be utilized by other managers and higher ups within Bank of America. As computer specialists/Project manager, majority of his time is spent behind the computer analyzing large amount of data for projects. As well as managing a set of team to complete several project. Being a project manager intends having the responsibility of the planning, procurement and execution of a project, in any domain of risk management. Who ever holds this title has to have the ability to ensure that everyone on the team can execute his or her role as well as motivate other to complete assignment on time. Skill set as a computer specialist can very well be due to the fact that there are many pathway one can go about taking.
    There’s a small amount of health hazards that correspond with IT workers. It’s important that one should exercise regularly due to the fact that sitting in one spot for hours can very well cause some heart disease. He pick this path because programming was . Thru conducting research, he started to understand why he pursue not only a bachelor of science in computer science, but he as far to obtaining his PHD. At Bank of America, as long as you eager to learn and take a leadership role then you very well can level up in the ranks in terms of promotion. This job can be an incredible job to have if the subject computer science is of very interests to you.

23. Jose A. Jimenez

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Chauncey Dumaguing
    DATE: March 30, 2017
    SUBJECT: Project 1, Interview Report

The following report is from my interview on March, 30, 2017 with one of my previous professor, Dr Muhammad Abdul Awal. I decided to interview him because he has a lot of experience in the Telecomm. Engineer field and because I learned a lot from the class that I took with him.

I was trying to get in touch with him as soon as this project was assigned, but I was unable to do it because my availability and his, but we were able to arrange the interview today at New York City College of Technology, before one of his classes. I asked him 7 questions that I think are the most important that a person pursuing a career in the Telecomm. Eng. field would like to know.

What skills are required to be a Telecomm. Eng. in the wireless field?
    He answered that the first thing that a person interested in the wireless field is: “Understand basics of electronics, telecomm. Transmissions, switching, underlines software, advance education in wireless communications and internships.”

2. What is the most challenging thing about Telecomm. Eng.?
    For which, he had a simple answer: “Coordinate between electronics and software.”

3. What is the best reward of the job?
    For this questions, he answered: “ Higher salary, more than electrical engineer, being able to see the high impact of social media, seeing how telecomm. Eng. are changing daily life with apps and other methods of communications.”

4. Where should I start to find a job as a Telecomm. Eng.?
    He told me: “Decide on a field or technology that you will be interested in, get knowledge about it and then start looking for a internship.”

5. Is there anything that you don’t like about being a Telecomm. Eng.?
    He said: “In general, team work, if you don’t have team work where you work it becomes hard and stressful.

6. Can a wireless Telecomm. Eng. work worldwide?
    The answer was a simple “Yes, you can word worldwide.”

7. What are the challenges faced day to day?
    He took a few minutes to think about this, then answered: “the challenges that you face day-to-day are network maintenance. If you don’t know where to start, you might be in a big challenge.

After the interview, we had a small chat about about our current president in the U.S. and how he feels about Trump new resolution about Net neutrality, which is exactly what I did on my first class assignment today, crazy right.