Final Exam

This is the take-home final exam in the class. Read all of the directions and questions carefully before beginning.

• Answer the following questions in complete sentences on your own paper.
  • Write your name at the top of your first page.
  • Always include author birth/death dates and publication dates where applicable.
  • After writing your exam by hand, scan the pages of your exam into a PDF using an app, such as Dropbox, Google Drive, Apple Notes, etc., and then upload your final exam PDF to this Dropbox File Request: https://www.dropbox.com/request/dVVqVGeLcPydahnNcUO2.
  • This is due by Wednesday, May 19.
  • As discussed in the Week 13 lecture, email Prof. Ellis or stop by office hours if there is any concern on your part about needing more time on the exam or any other assignment by Wednesday, May 19.

1. In 3-4 sentences, describe the historical events that made it possible for SF to emerge.
  2. In 5-10 sentences, tell me who wrote Frankenstein, a brief summary of Frankenstein’s plot, why is Frankenstein considered the first example of SF, name those characters who are all scientists and explain why each is a “scientist,” and finally, draw the narrative frames in Frankenstein and label each with the name of the person speaking/writing.
  3. In 2-4 sentences, tell me the three proto-SF writers discussed (but not read for class), and describe what each writer is most famous for.
  4. In 2-4 sentences, tell me who wrote The Time Machine, the name of the type of stories that he helped develop, the characteristics of that type of stories, and a brief summary of The Time Machine.
  5. In 2-4 sentences, tell me who wrote “The Machine Stops,” and a brief summary of the story.
  6. In 2-4 sentences, tell me the name of the editor who launched the first SF magazine, the name of the first SF magazine, its month and year of launch, his name for science fiction and its three characteristics.
  7. In 2-3 sentences, tell me who wrote “Shambleau,” its year of publication, and what is the story about?
  8. In 2-3 sentences, tell me who wrote The Skylark of Space, Part 1, its month and year of publication, the title of the magazine it was published in, and its plot.
  9. In 3-4 sentences, tell me the four characteristics of SF film serials, the name of the film series that we watched in class, the year it was released, and its plot.
  10. In 1-2 sentences, name the Golden Age editor of Astounding, give his birth/death years, and list his four rules of good SF.
  11. For the following Golden Age stories, write 2-4 sentences for each including the name of the author, birth/death years, the publication date of the story, and its summary:
    a. “Reason”
    b. “The Fireman”
    c. “–All You Zombies”
    d. “The Cold Equations”
  12. In 2-4 sentences, name the director of the film Forbidden Planet, give the year that it was released, name the film production company, summarize the film, and explain the significance of the id, ego, and superego to its story.
  13. In 1-2 sentences, name the editor of New Worlds magazine who inaugurated New Wave SF, give his birth year, and list the five characteristics of New Wave SF.
  14. For the following New Wave stories, write 2-4 sentences for each including the name of the author, birth/death years, the publication date of the story, and its summary:
    a. “Repent, Harlequin! Said the Ticktockman” (include the title of the famous book he edited)
    b. “The Electric Ant” (include a list of characteristics of his works, too)
    c. “Aye, and Gomorrah…”
  15. In 2-4 sentences, name the creator of Star Trek, give his birth/death years, give its original air dates, list its six characteristics, name the episode that we saw in class, and summarize the story.
  16. In 1-2 sentences, define feminist SF and list its six characteristics.
  17. For the following feminist SF stories, write 2-4 sentences for each including the name of the author, birth/death years, the publication date of the story, and its summary:
    a. “The Women Men Don’t See”
    b. “Nine Lives”
    c. “Speech Sounds”
  18. In 1-2 sentences, define Afrofuturism and list its three characteristics.
  19. In 4-6 sentences, define cyberpunk and list its five characteristics; name who wrote “Burning Chrome,” give his birth year, give the story’s year of publication, and summarize the story; and name the writers of the television episode “Kill Switch,” name the series it belongs to, name the series’ creator, give the episode’s broadcast year, and describe how the episode is an example of cyberpunk.

Bonus (+1): In 1-2 sentences, write your own definition of Science Fiction in your own words.

Bonus (+1): In 1-2 sentences, tell me which semester reading you enjoyed most. Explain why.

Bonus (+1): In 1-2 sentences, tell me which semester reading you enjoyed least. Explain why.