Beginning of Class Writing, Letter to Your Article’s Author

For today’s beginning of class writing assignment, you will write a different kind of letter than the one that you wrote to an editor. In this assignment, you will write to the author inquiring for more information about something discussed in the article. Your letter should demonstrate that you read the article and did some research on your own. Never ask for more information about something without performing your own due diligence to research and learn on your own. Google, Wikipedia, the City Tech Library, etc. are your friends in this regard.

Follow this template for your letter. When you are done writing in Google Docs or Microsoft Word, copy and paste your letter into a comment made to this blog post.

Your Street Address
Your City, State  Zip Code

Date

Author’s Full Name
Search Google for their work address–if not available, write c/o Editor First Last Name, Magazine, Address

Dear Mr./Ms. (or Dr. or Prof.–find out!) Author’s Last Name,

In one or two sentences state the purpose of this letter–to inquire about something mentioned in the article titled “something” in the Month Year issue of Magazine.

I enjoyed reading your article about … one or two sentences demonstrating that you read it.

My question is … state it clearly and remember to add a question mark? Write one or two sentences about what research you have done and what you have learned that left you hoping to learn more from the author. For example: I read the Wikipedia article about the iPhone and learned about the different versions released over the years, but it does not explore the behind the scenes development of the iPhone alluded to in your essay. I was hoping that you could tell me more about the first iPhone prototype’s development that was not included in your article.

Thank you for your time and considering my request. I hope to speak with you at your convenience.

Sincerely,

Your Full Name

17 thoughts on “Beginning of Class Writing, Letter to Your Article’s Author

1. Nikka

466 W 153 St.
    New York, NY 10031

October 10th, 2017

Kevin Draper
    c/o Thomas Feyer,
    The New York Times

Dear Mr. Kevin Draper,,

I find myself confused about the interpretation of the law as you stated in your article, “Connecticut Law May Shield Anchor From Discipline,” on September 17th in the New York Times.

I appreciated how, in your article, you described with detail and insight how discussion over social media is a difficult intersection of freedom of speech with representation of one’s employer. I agree completely that companies should make social media policies a default inclusion in employee handbooks, though of course those policies must be respectful of employee’s right to their own freedoms.

My confusion stems from your discussion of the Connecticut statute related to this particular case, as you stated:
    ” Connecticut also has General Statute 31-51q, which reads in part that any employer, including private employers, “who subjects any employee to discipline or discharge on account of the exercise by such employee of rights guaranteed by the first amendment to the United States Constitution” is liable for damages caused “by such discipline or discharge.” ”
    You then go on to discuss this statute as though it prevents ESPN from firing or disciplining Jemele Hill. From my research and understanding of legal terminology, the statute as worded does not prevent them from doing so, only allows Ms. Hill to subsequently sue for damages. ESPN, being a major media corporation, is hardly in danger of collapsing from a single lawsuit. In addition, as you state later in your article, the concept of “discipline” is vague enough that Mr. Hill might have difficulty proving wrongdoing if ESPN is careful in how they approach the situation. I’m curious then to know if the wording in your article is simply meant to indicate that ESPN would be in error of a statute, or if there are additional legal differences in Connecticut that would make disciplining Ms. Hill, and a subsequent lawsuit, considerably more burdensome to ESPN?

Sincerely,

Nikka Rosenstein

2. NawiesniakP

63-36 86th Street
    Middle Village, NY Zip 11375

October 10, 2017

Pam O’Brien
    ℅ Elizabeth Goodman Artis
    Meredith Corporation, 805 Third Avenue
    New York, NY 10022

Dear Ms. O’Brien,

The idea mentioned in your article, “The best trip you’ll ever take.” in the July/August 2017 issue of Shape Magazine, had certainly interested me in a good way. I am writing to thank you and let you know I appreciate your article, I believe thinking about vacation as the “intentional travel” for a different purpose is a great idea.

This article had opened my eyes on different aspects of travel and planning. I really enjoyed reading your article and learning new information from it.

I was hoping you could tell me more about purposeful trips, how can they help us make big decisions about things that we would like to change in our lives? I have read an article on Huffington Post titled, “11 Reasons Why Travel Makes You a Happier Person”, I was hoping that you could tell me a little bit more about weather you agree that travel can help you appreciate your family and your home. As well as, finding self-confidence by dealing with unexpected situation during our travels. Moreover, could you expand more about those two aspect of “intentional travel”, and how would they fit in to the article.

Lastly, thank you for your time and considering my request. I hope to speak with you at your convenience.

Sincerely,

Paulina A. Nawieƛniak

3. G James Mitchell

James Mitchell
    123 Spring St.
    New York, NY 10012

Liz Welch
    ℅ James Ledbetter
    Inc. Magazine
    7 World Trade Center
    New York, NY 10007-2195

Dear Ms. Welch,

I’m writing to ask about how Mr. Moore started his business described in your article “Treasure in the Trash” in the September 2017 issue of Inc Magazine.

I enjoyed reading your article about Mr. Moore’s rise to success. I myself work for a staffing company, and am interested in growing my opportunities in this sector.

My question is how did he transition from working for Advantage One to owning his own business? I’ve read several articles online, including Moore Advanced’s site and topechelon.com’s blog, “How to Start Your Own Recruitment Agency.” The resources I see online seem so cliche or dense with jargon and legalities. In your article it seems as though Mr. Moore made a simple shift into running his own agency. Can you offer any details on how he transitioned into an entrepreneur?

Sincerely,

James Mitchell

4. Preston I.

123 Brooklyn Place
    Brooklyn, NY 12345

10/10/17

Global EiC Tim Clark
    Future Publishing Ltd.
    One Lombard Street, Suite 200
    San Francisco, CA 94111

Dear Mr. Nelson Jr.,

Regarding your ‘Scheduling Sanity’ article in the December ‘17 issue of PC GAMER, I wanted to discuss the work conditions of developers that are treated poorly by not just work hours but also the work conditions. Focusing more upon what should be done for developers to give them a healthy working space they require to maintain a balanced life.

I thought it was really eye opening how these bouts of intense overworking can be seen as beneficial for working optimally. Crunch time that concentrated was not what I expected to be such an industry norm, it caught me off guard.

My question is in instances like the Konami debacle where Konami was exposed for having their developers work in such poor conditions, do you feel it is justified when they are under these NDA’s. Being confined to their workspace and grueling hours as well as punishment for liking certain posts on social media, is it truly okay even though they are still human and have lives to continue outside of developing games?

I really appreciate you taking the time to read this and for you giving readers the insight of how intensive being a game developer can truly be.

Sincerely,

Preston T. Isolani

5. Jen Travinski

23-03 28th Street, Apt. 1D
    Astoria, NY 11105

October 10, 2017

Sara Chodosh
    c/o Popular Science Magazine
    P.O. Box 6364
    Harlan, IA 51593-1864

Dear Ms. Chodosh,

I am writing to inquire further about the topic of the “cutaneous rabbit illusion” which was mentioned in the article titled “Rabbit, Run” in the September/October 2017 issue of Popular Science.

I enjoyed reading your article about the brain’s inability to precisely map sensations when a stimulus comes into contact with various parts of one’s forearm. It was fascinating to learn that when the arm is touched at the wrist and then again at the elbow by an unseen stimulus, the brain will do its best to “fill in the blank” by telling you that it’s something running up your arm.

My question is, what are some other areas of the body, like the forearm, that have poor spatial acuity (equal to or greater than 1cm)? I read the Wikipedia article about the Cutaneous Rabbit Illusion, also known as the Cutaneous Rabbit Effect (CRE), and learned quite a bit about how the illusion was discovered, experimental studies on CRE, and mathematical explanations for the illusion. However, the article only states that most of the experiments were done on the forearm and doesn’t elaborate on any other areas of the body which might be susceptible to this phenomenon. I was hoping that you could tell me more about other parts of the body that may be affected by CRE that weren’t included in your article.

Sincerely,

Jennifer L. Travinski

6. Christian B.

1520 brunswick place
    Elmont, NY 11003

October 10, 2017

Ezra Dyer
    POPULAR MECHANICS
    300 West 57 Street
    New York, NY 10019-5899

Dear Mr Ezra Dyer,

In the article “Old Engine, New Tricks” on the June 2017 magazine Popular Mechanics I read that Infiniti has improved the compression ratio and have also improved the engine they will be using in their newer model vehicles.

I enjoyed reading your article about how they were able to make and engine that could have both high ratio and low ratio of compression.

My question is that wouldn’t making the engine interchange from low to high or from high to low affect the turbo or even harm the engine? From what I’ve read on forums and from personal experience is that having a engine with a turbo a lower ratio is best for the turbo/engine to be in a safe zone so that the engine doesn’t get harmed. From what i saw was that the cars that this engine would be used isn’t a race car but a SUV or crossover even so they would need a decent about of power and stability to make the ride smoother. If you have more information about this i would like to hear back from you so i could better understand the methods they are taking.

Sincerely,

Christian Baque

7. Artilese

Edgar Artiles
    10827 41st ave
    Queens, New York 11368

October 10th 2017

Lisa Brackmann
    Nathan Lump, Travel And Leisure, 225 Liberty St., New York, NY 10281

Dear Ms. Brackmann,

Hope this letter finds you well, in your article “It’s Beer O’clock in Beijing” in the September 2017 issue of Travel And Leisure, you wrote about the western influence on Chinese craft brewing, you went into details about the different breweries popping up in and around the city of Beijing and how this wave of influence is leading to new opportunities for beer enthusiast.

I enjoyed reading your article about craft brewing in Beijing, these western influences are giving an opportunity to locals to grow and grasp an untapped market.

My question is that since China has a growing population of beer enthusiast, why aren’t the locals rushed to do more to gain ground on the westerners in this specific investment opportunity? After reading your article I did some research on the current major breweries in china and I have found some shocking results regarding this specific market in china. I believed with china’s population and resources many entrepreneurs would have the instincts in jumping in and investing in beer brewing but according to the article “China Embraces Craft Beers, and Brewing Giants Take Notice” by Amie Tsang and Cao Lijang. 15, 2016 “New York Times”, Brewing giants like Anheuser Busch InBev and SABMiller are aggressively investing taking big chunks of the market. Is the conservative Chinese ideology preventing locals to embrace and seize such opportunity? or are the Chinese laws on brewing harder on locals then on foreigners?
    This topic intrigues me as a popular reason why people travel is to gain a taste of the world.

Thank you for your time and reading my letter. I hope to speak with you at your convenience.

Sincerely,

Edgar Artiles

1. Artilese

REVISED

Edgar Artiles
      10827 41st ave
      Queens, New York 11368

October 10th 2017

Lisa Brackmann

Dear Ms. Brackmann,

My question is that since China has a growing population of beer enthusiasts, why aren’t the locals rushing to do more to gain ground on foreign investors and are Chinese laws specifically targeting local breweries with harsh bottling laws? After reading your article I did some research on the current major breweries in china and I have found some shocking results regarding this specific market in china. I believed with china’s population and resources many entrepreneurs would have the instincts in jumping in and investing in beer brewing but according to the article “China Embraces Craft Beers, and Brewing Giants Take Notice” by Amie Tsang and Cao Lijang. 15, 2016 “New York Times”, Brewing giants like Anheuser Busch InBev and SABMiller are aggressively investing taking big chunks of the market.This topic intrigues me as a popular reason why people travel is to gain a taste of the world.

Sincerely,

Edgar Artiles

8. creunis

836 east 48st
    Brooklyn , New York 11203
    10/10/2017

kamesh namuduri
    2310 N. I-35E
    Denton, TX 76201

Dear Dr. Kamesh

I loved your article “base stations carried could connect first responders”. It was really a revelation to get a indepth look into the process , struggles and obstacles you had to face and are facing when trying to create an amazing new system . I personally think it is genius it would greatly advance our emergency systems by light years making us very flexible in very serious and disastrous situations. But I do have a question or suggestion . Have you looked into a solar or wind power drone ? maybe a drone when low on energy can rise to an altitude to get direct sunray contact and charge and then continue on course .after doing a little bit of research there are companies working in this designing maybe not exactly what you want but a starting point. i also thought maybe a drone with propellers that as its soaring through the air stores up more energy for use later . i also wanted to know why you guys did try creating your own design team and creating a new design for drones rather from working from something existing?

Thank you for taking the time to consider my questions and suggestions

Sincerely , Creunis Lors

9. Mei,Huakang

94-26 52md Ave
    Elmhurst, NY 11373

10/10/2017

Jess Mchugh
    Travel+Leisure
    225 Liberty St
    New York, NY 10281

Dear Ms. Mchugh,

Regarding to your article “Puerto Rico’s ‘Monkey Island’ Needs Help Fast to Save Its Inhabitants’ on October 10 2017 in the Travel+Leisure. I need you answer some questions I had after read it.

I enjoyed reading your article about the saving the Puerto Rico’s “Monkey Island” for study use and help them to survive after Hurricane Maria had arrived.

My question is why should scientists should help the monkey to rebulid thire inhabitants?
    I have read an article from nowikown.com about the Monkey Island and noticed that the monkey on the are pretty dangerous for the people. Since Hurricane Maria destroyed their inhabitants we should just leave them alone and let the monkeys do their jobs.

Thank you for your time and considering my request. I hope speak with you at your convenience.

Sincerely,

Huakang Mei

10. Donovan Valle

3669 E Tremont Avenue
    Bronx, NY 10465

October 10, 2017

Nicholas Quah
    c/o Nicholas Thompson
    Wired Magazine
    PO Box 37706
    Boone, IA 50037-0706

Dear Mr./Ms. Quah,

I am writing this letter to inquire further about your article titled “The Rise, Rise, and Rise of Podcasts” which appeared in the October, 2017 issue of Wired Magazine.

I really enjoyed the insight that you provided into the podcast world, which is still a developing medium in the entertainment industry. What I found quite interesting was how Apple was at the forefront of bringing the podcast medium to millions of people.

My questions is what other major factors do you think may have played a role in podcasts becoming such a popular medium in today’s day and age? There are so many interesting factors to look into when discussing podcasts and their popularity, especially among the younger demographic. Considering today’s fast paced environment and short attention span, it is interesting to me that the long form entertainment of podcasts (usually averaging to an hour) is so engaging for that audience. I was hoping you could tell me more about the emotional connection that people are having with podcasts.

Sincerely,

Donovan Valle

11. s.powell

330 Jay Street
    Brooklyn, NY 11203

October 10, 2017
    Debra Cassens Weiss
    ABA Journal
    American Bar Association
    321 N Clark St
    Chicago, IL 60654-7598
    (800) 285-2221

Dear Ms. Casses Weiss,

I am contacting you to further my understanding in regard to an ABA Journal article you wrote on October 10, 2017 online issue titled; “Alleged rapist of 12-year-old girl is awarded joint custody of child who was conceived”

I enjoyed your article about the unbelievable law that allowed this rapist to have joint custody of a child that is a product of rape. I found this very informative to those who may find themselves in a situation similar to this.

My question is, “Why would the government wait until 2015 to pass a bill to protect victims of rape from their rapists gaining custody of a child produced form that rape? I find this utterly inconceivable to know that there has been no protection for women in that regard. The Bill was passed as an extension to a sex trafficking law to protect victims if they get pregnant. I think this is wonderful but, what about the women who are raped that are not victims of sex trafficking?

There are more women being raped everyday than women being pulled into sex trafficking. There have been thousands upon thousands of women that have been raped and decided to give birth to the child that is a product of that rape. Why? I have read the bill and I don’t see how this has gone so long without being taken care of.

I was hoping that you could tell me more about why the “Rape Survivor Child Custody Act” was just established in 2015, which was not included in your article.

Thank you for your time and considering my request. I hope to speak to you at your convenience.

Sincerely,

Shanna Powell

12. Howard Daley

300 Jay Street
    Brooklyn, New York 11211
    October 10, 2017
    Eric A Woodroof . Buildings Magazine
    Dear Dr Woodroof,
    As a dedicated reader and subscriber of the monthly publication, Builders magazine smarter Facilities Management . Your article in the June 2016 issue entitled “ The Energy manager ; 7 financial mistakes and how to avoid them in which you made mention of the pitfalls regarding purchasing of Solar equipment.
    This article was not only informative but critical given the trend in energy conservation and the Green Revolution. However with all the innovations and cutting edge technology involved to the benefit, further insight would reveal that the Utility Companies have been in lockstep with the industry thus asserting themselves and acquiring market share. Here is what i found upon further research. As it turned out the power companies who owns the infrastructure has managed to put in place conditions for use in the reverse power sharing arrangements. The Nevada Solar Company in June 30, 2016 cut the 2 cent per kilowatt credit given to homeowners get for their contribution of the Solar generated electricity their system contribute to the grid.
    The Energy Manager is always a good start to the the publication and look forward to reading each article each month.thank you so much for this opportunity, I enjoy reading the articles and look forward to the other publication next month.Thank you for your time and considering my request. I hope to speak with you at your convenience.
    Sincerely,
    Howard Daley

Dr Eric A Woodroof Ph.D (2016, June). 7 Financial Mistakes and How to Avoid Them. Buildings .Magazine , 9 – 11.

Josh Gasko (2016 June 30).How Utilities Are Fighting Back on Solar Power. Consumer Reports Magazine,

13. zina

595 Franklin Ave. Apt. 1L Brooklyn, NY 11238
    347-304-5469
    ZINA2760@gmail.com

October 10, 2017

℅ Sara Bean, FMJ, Kpm media Unit 5, kpm media, Gateway 20/25 Trading Estate London Road, Swanley, Kent BR8 8GA.

Dear Ms.Bean,

I am writing to you regarding the article about “lighting and Developing products that promote productivity and comfort in the workplace” in May 2017 25/5 of the Facilities Management Journal.
    It was very interesting to read about lighting and its reflected effect on workplace productivity and the influence of comfortable measures and moodiness on workers or occupants.

My question is what the exact statistics that studies you referred to in your reporting in regard to workplace productivity and economic performance? I have read in several subjects to the same matter of study on business.com which was reported that lighting and I quote”Smart organizations know that enhancing the performance of their people keeps companies growing and actively innovating. Thoughtful lighting design can be a powerful tool to increase employee performance. There are real costs associated with not addressing lighting issues at work and they could be fixed with the simple change of the bulb”. This reporting did not mentioned the specific numbers and figures either that their studies resulted in that could be added to the economical growth of the workplace. As a facilities manager this is very essential to be presented in this kind of studies that directly influence my facility rating and performance, and it would be very interesting if you present us with the statistics and figures results of the studies you have mentioned in your article.

Thank you for the time you’ve taken in my behalf. I am very eager to hear from you at your convenience.

Sincerely,

Zinab Adam

14. Ronald Hinds

106 Garnett Street
    Brooklyn NY 11201

October 10, 2017

Mr. Vaclav Smil
    ℅ The Editor
    IEEE Spectrum Magazine
    3 Park Avenue
    New York NY 10016-5997

Dear Mr. Smil,

I am writing to inquire about something you mentioned in the article titled “Sputnik at 60” in the October 2017 issue of IEEE Spectrum.

The article took me down memory lane and I marvelled at the success of the Soviet Union’s early programs. I did not realize that the humiliation the United States experienced resulted in its boosting of resources allocated to education in mathematics and sciences. The Soviet premier, and the Soviet delegation to the United States, used the accomplishment of Sputnik, whose launching occurred on 4 October 1957, as a propaganda tool.

My question is how was the Soviet Union able, in the first place, to surpass the United States of America in launching of space satellites? How superior was the Soviet Union’s advances in 1957? Were the Soviet’s scientists and researchers more advanced than their counterparts in the United States? Was there an ideological reason for their advancement?

I did some research and read a report, that is no longer classified, about the heavy Soviet commitment to their planetary program. The Soviet Union spent less money in their program than the United States in its program. Conversely, however, with regards to manned spaceflight and launch vehicle development, the Soviets injected 55% of spending as opposed to the United States’ 45%. I am hoping that you can tell me more than what is laid out in your article.

I look forward to hearing from you. I am willing to meet you to discuss my questions over a cup of coffee.

Thank you for your time and considering my request.

Sincerely,

Ronald C. Hinds

15. Howard Daley

(Revised)
    300 Jay Street
    Brooklyn, New York 11211
    October 10, 2017
    Eric A Woodroof . Buildings Magazine

Dear Dr Woodroof,

Sincerely,
    Howard Daley