Beginning of Class Writing: Letter to the Editor

With the magazine article that you brought to today’s class, we will discuss how to write a letter to the editor in response to the article. Then you will have the first phase of class to write and post your letter as a comment made to this blog post. Of course, remember to save your letter on Google Drive, flash drive, or elsewhere before posting it to OpenLab–always protect your deliverables!

17 thoughts on “Beginning of Class Writing: Letter to the Editor

1. Nikka

555 Nowhere Ln.
    Somewhere, SW 12345
    nikka.rosenstein@mail.citytech.cuny.edu
    (555) 555-5555

September 5, 2017

Ryan D’Agostino, Editor in Chief
    Hearst Communications, Inc.
    300 West 57th Street
    New York, NY 10019-3797

Dear Mr. D’Agostino,

As a professional copy and technical writer, I’d like to express my disappointment with your interview of Casey Neistat (“The Most Trusted Name in News,” October 2017).

I have spent many hours writing copy to fill blog posts, comment boxes, and articles that say nothing but fill space with convincing content. I would never call these writings news, no matter how much they pretended to say something newsworthy. They are paid-for word count, nothing more.

Mr. Neistat’s work, from the descriptions given, seem to be the same in video form. As he himself admits, there’s nothing of journalism behind his content aside from choices of topics. He’s correct in equating his work to the empty noise of an average news panel, but he also doesn’t justify why his channel or application provide anything more substantial. He may be accruing views, but his content seems no more valuable than the comment section of any news article, and I feel it was very lax of Mr. Belloni as an interviewer not to press that point.

It would be fantastic if somehow Mr. Neistat’s work eventually provoked the evolution of professional news media that we sorely need. But to present a video-sharing app as the future of journalism is deeply misleading and makes your article feel as empty as my commissioned content-less articles.

Sincerely,
    Nikka Rosenstein

2. Preston I.

123 Something Place
    Brooklyn, NY / 00000
    preston.isolani@mail.citytech.cuny.edu
    (123) 456-789

September 5th, 2017

Samuel Roberts , Editor
    Future Publishing Ltd.
    One Lombard Street, Suite 200
    San Francisco, CA / 94111

Dear Mr. Roberts,

As an avid gamer that puts in a minimum of 30 hours a week throughout different platforms, I would like to say the coverage in your interview with Sega Europe’s John Clark in the PC GAMER October 2017 issue was refreshing. It’s a topic that should be talked about more in a positive light.

The importance of the games of the past are greatly overlooked, even if they be only 5-10 years old. As long as they are of high quality and are behind the at the time technology that’s available to developers then it should be no problem to recreate the experience to remove any past issues, technical limitations, or exclusivity deals.

I believe it would be a great idea to continue this type of discussion with others companies representatives to see their comprehension of their market. They can deliver the same experiences again in a whole new package that fans would love to see such as franchises like Halo, Uncharted, and the very recent Crash Bandicoot. People often give the stigma that remakes are lazy and simply cash grabs but they can be regarded as essential. It can provide players playing on only one platform an experience they’ve never had before. An instance that comes to mind is Rockstar’s Red Dead Redemption not being available on the PC platform. It’s important to remind these companies that it’s essential to remember the great games they created in the past can still be enjoyed today in brand new ways.

Sincerely,
    Preston T. Isolani

3. Donovan Valle

521 5th Avenue
    New York, NY 10175
    donovan.valle@mail.citytech.cuny.edu
    (212) 575-3000

September 5, 2017

Joe Brown, Editor-in-Chief
    Popular Science
    P.O. Box 6364
    Harlan, IA 51593-1864

Dear Mr. Brown,

As a college student and part-time retail worker living in New York City, I wanted to write in agreement with the recent article written by Leslie Kaufman (“Your Schedule Could Be Killing You,” October 2017). Growing up in the inner cities and having to work a part-time job while trying to maintain a high GPA, as well as hunting and scouting for internships in a relative field, it can be difficult to manage your time when there hardly is any.

While I fully agree with the stance the author takes, I would have wished that Kaufman focused some more on the younger generation who stress to keep up with the rising costs of living, while trying to balance all the things I previously mentioned that comes with being a full-time student.

It is an issue we must really look to solve, because if it is a health issue as Kaufman goes on to explain in the article, then we are potentially dealing with an entire generation of young people that are already one step behind when it comes to physical and mental health. While Kaufman does shed some light on occupations like truck drivers and overnight shifts, I wish the author went a little more in depth, seeing as these are the occupations that most of middle and low class Americans occupy, thus highlighting a huge problem when it comes to those same Americans trying to find the time to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I’d like for this article to maybe address some possible solutions, whether it be lifestyle choices, a change in the status quo, or policy changes.

As a full-time student with a job, I can whole-heartedly agree that the issues this article raises are important and severely under looked by Americans. In the future, I would love to see some more discussion of this issue and hopefully see some possible solutions raised so that we can address this problem and become a healthier society.

Sincerely,
    Donovan Valle

4. G James Mitchell

123 Address St.
    New York, NY 10000
    james.mitchell@email.citytech.cuny.edu
    (916) 555-1234

September 5, 2017

James Ledbetter, Editor
    Inc. Magazine
    7 World Trade Center
    New York, NY 10007-2195

Dear Mr. Ledbetter (Editor),

As an avid musician and entrepreneur that has exhausted methods for buying and selling instruments, I wanted to offer some additional insight into the article written by David Kalt (“This Company Rocks,” September 2017).
    In my experience, the hardest part about buying instruments is finding one that channels the comfort and tone of my creative individuality. The next biggest upset in finding gear is when the functionality of that instrument is cumbersome, or temporary. It was disappointing to not see mention of either in your article. As the music business takes passion, so should reflecting on the quality of that business. Likewise, the hardest part about selling instruments is knowing the personal and sentimental value go far above the market value. While you mention some of these exchange rates, the business requires passion for the art. It seems careless to disregard this element when investigating this business. I would be curious to know how Reverb.com connects with its users, and how buyers rate their experience.
    In conclusion, prosperity in the music business relies on the satisfaction of musicians connecting with the right gear that fits their individual passion. How does Reverb.com connect with users and allow buyers a valuable exchange?

Sincerely,
    James Mitchell

5. NawiesniakP

63-40 85th Place
    Middle Village, NY 11385
    paulina.nawiesniak@icloud.com
    (347) 355-1432

September 5th, 2017

Elizabeth Goodman Artis, Editor in Chief
    Meredith Corporation
    805 Third Avenue
    New York, NY 10022

Dear Ms. Goodman Artis,

As a current student at City College of Technology, studying Biology, and in particular Human Anatomy and Physiology topic, I wanted to write in a disagreement with the recent article written by Lesley Rotchford (“ Scar Fix,” July/August 2017).

All of the examples given by Ms. Rotchford regarding scars, and how to erase them from the body caused me to write you this letter. Treatments that the author mentions in this article are mainly unhealthy to someone’s body. What I am referring to exactly are the laser treatments that are suppose efficiently help with uneven tissue. Laser treatment isn’t healthy for the skin tissue, as they can cause different damage overtime, which isn’t mentioned here in this article. Since our DNA changes every time we go to the tanning salon, does this laser treatment has a similar effect? I would guess maybe it does, but not as broad as the UV light. I am worried that maybe overtime those who used those laser treatments might have problem with their skin. Just something to look forward to.

Lastly, I would like all readers to understand that treating scars might not always require laser treatment, there are a few natural remedies that might play a role in this case. Therefore, I appeal for either more detail about the side effects of laser treatment or maybe not mention them in this article.

With Sincerest Regards,
    Paulina Nawiesniak

6. Jen Travinski

1234 Rosecroft Street
    Richmond, VA 23225
    jennifer.travinski@mail.citytech.cuny.edu
    804.999.7777

September 5, 2017

Nicholas Thompson, Editor-In-Chief
    WIRED Magazine
    P.O. Box 37706
    Boone, IA 50037-0706

Dear Mr. Thompson,

As a New York City College of Technology Student, tech geek and a concerned human being more skeptical of other humans than robots, I wanted to write to you in disagreement to the recent article written by Lexi Pandell (“Should We Worry: Will AI Turn Against Me?”).

I enjoyed the article by Ms. Pandell, but I believe the question posed isn’t the exact one we should be asking ourselves. Perhaps “Which Humans Are Qualified to Make Certain AI Won’t Turn Against Me?” would be more apt (albeit less catchy). The article jokingly contemplates whether AI will spiral out of control and morph our human world into an evil quagmire, and then assures us that engineers for Google and Oxford are “on it, just in case”. That’s not super comforting in and of itself. The real issue, per the article, is whether AI might diverge from “our” intended goals. My concern is, who is researching the researchers, and what are their goals? Who deems the ethics of these programmers to be morally sound, worthy of policing potentially destructive AI?

My contention is that the real issue is ensuring that these programmers, so intent on shaping and monitoring the moral compass of AI, are equally vetted as moral. Just in case not all humans are “inherently good” as the article suggested.

Sincerely,
    Jennifer L. Travinski

7. creunis

836 East 48st
    Brooklyn ,NY 11203
    Creunis.Lors@mail.citytech.cuny.edu
    (347) 845-7315

September 5, 2017
    Elizabeth E. (Liz) Pohland, editior
    9401 Lee Highway, Suite 300
    Fairfax, VA 22031-1803

Dear Ms. Elizabeth ,

As a soon to graduate technical writing student , i want to write in my comments of the impression the recent article written by richard rabil jr. ( “how to be an amazing tech comm job applicant: tips from a tech comm hiring manager “, may 2017) made upon me .

This article provided much needed insight into how to navigate job searching and hot to approach it . As a student I have been trying to figure out how to apply my skills , market them to employers and where to focus my energy on as student and this article has hit the nail on the head on every point it discusses .

The article goes into depth about every possible facet of seeking employment and finding job opportunities. Written in a simplistic and easy to understand manner , I was able to learn a lot about what employers are looking for .Not only does it provide critical information but also critical resources that i can later use for my own self learning where i may have no other wise have known about .

As a student i want to say that i am deeply grateful for this publication and its free access to students. I encourage you and your team to continue to create these articles to provide clarity and what can be a sometimes confusing and difficult to sort through information and field . This article has helped me in many ways and will be useful knowledge for me and future .

Sincerely ,
    Creunis lors

8. Christian B.

235 Address ave
    Queens NY 11418
    christian.baque@mail.citytech.cuny.edu
    (917) 123-4598

September 5, 2017
    Vanessa Revelli
    PO Box 8623
    Ann Arbor, MI 48107-8623,

Dear Ms. Revelli,

As a moderately experienced Mechanical Engineering student, I would like to write in agreeance to the article that was written about Robert “Kurt” Hutchinson (“Molding A New Generation of Engineers”, January 2017)

As a student that never had that privilege of knowing at a young age what career paths were open and what was my strong suit this article showed me that people are out there helping the youth get prepared. The fact that Robert “Kurt” Hutchinson went from fabricating his own custom designs to teaching shows the passion that every kid needs to feel in order to succeed in their career path.

It would be great to see other schools see how they can provide students with career base classes like these so that kids could see and gain experience in that career path. Those students that get the hands on experience get some advantage into this career.

Sincerely,
    Christian Baque

9. Artilese

787 Wynn Way
    Las Vegas , NV 57008
    (917) 288-7878
    Edgar.Artiles@mail.citytech.cuny.edu

September 5th, 2017

Dear Editing,
    Travel + Leisure Publications
    1120 6th Ave #9
    New York, NY 10036-9992

Dear Editor,

As an advance student in hospitality at New York City College of Technology ,Your Article ‘Napa, Off the vine” (Travel+Leisure, September 2017) supports my theory that Hospitality is a constant evolving world of wonders that re-invents and makes anew that what screams change. A re-invention of one of the world’s most premier Wine destinations helps us understand and comprehend that even the most traditional of places needs a ‘facelift’.

Napa Valley according to your article has been “since the beginning of this decade, had started to feel a little too familiar” , change was needed and the community is galvanizing behind the idea of being ‘fruitful’ throughout the whole year. Your article explains the approach different hotels are taking by embodying the idea of wine culture and incorporating it in the architecture and throughout the experience of the guests. The subterranean Tasting rooms at covert Estate shows the craftsmanship and dedication these hoteliers are implementing in their hotels.
    Opening the market to making Napa Valley more accessible to those who can’t afford the high roller suites definitely shows the untapped potential Napa Valley holds.

Change is needed in a world that constantly changes, being able to adapt is a key necessary to survive. Unlike Atlantic City, hurried is the community of Napa Valley to re-invent itself before it becomes known as “dry city’.

10. Howard Daley

Howard Daley
    300 Jay Street
    Brooklyn NY 11238 (718) 123 4567 Howarddaley@mail.citytech
    September 5, 2017

Janelle Penny Sr. Editor
    Buildings PO Box 1888
    Cedar Rapids. IA 52406 – 1888

Dear Ms. Penny .
    As an avid reader and a long time subscriber to your printed magazine Buildings I feel compelled to address an article printed in your issue on May 05, 2017. By Justin Feit entitled: With Energy Star on its death bed, what’s next for FM. Facilities Management has been my career for over ten years and during which I have acquired a Bachelor’s degree from The New York College of Technology.
    In as much as I agree that there will be changes ahead with the Trump regressive policies and its impact on the commercial building industry, I remain optimistic. The president can roll back that much energy regulation and no more. The ultimate target been the EPA. The agency is facing a 31% budget cut. Though the demise of this exec body may seem inevitable I remain convinced that we in the industry will succeed in our effort to reduce our carbon footprint and beyond the executive orders notwithstanding. We’ve always found a way. This is certainly not the time to cut and run. Instead we double out effort and continue our work.
    Your publication remains a valuable tool in this effort and I am indeed optimistic that you will continue the great work that we as Facilities Managers have come to rely upon especially now.

Sincerely
    Howard Daley

11. Mei,Huakang

9623 56Ave
    Queens, NY 11373
    Huakang.mei@mail.citytech.cuny.edu
    (654)-985-785
    September 5, 2017
    Nicholas Thompson, Editor in Chief
    Wired
    1 World Trade Center
    New York, NY 10007

As a recent undergraduate of Hospitality Management Program in The New York City College of Technology. I wanted write in agreeance to the article that was written by Josh Davis (“Why Trump Should Welcome Dreamers” September 2017)
    As a student with residency papers, I never need to worry about I will getting deport by the US government. However, not everybody as lucky as me, people are trying so hard to live in this country. The fact that Mr. Davis states in the article is the Congress does act to try to save DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals), approximately 800,000 people. I know people they first with no residency papers and end up with them. They all behave very well and contributing to these country.
    I am feel happy to see that the government took actions to help those people to stay in this country because when the new president begins to serve the country, he mentioned before that he will deport the undocumented immigrants. In my options if those undocumented immigrants are doing what they supposed to do, they should not be forcing to deport.

Sincerely,
    Huakang Mei

12. leslie

2000 Hollow way
    Cambridge, NJ 12816
    (718) 852-6524
    Bonillaleslie70@yahoo.com

September 5, 2017
    Philip Campbell, Editor
    Springer nature New York
    1 New York Plaza STE 4500
    New York, NY 10004-1562

Dear Mr. Campbell,

As a student at New York City College Of Technology ,majoring in Professional and Technical Writing and specialising in Biology I read the article “ Critical Limb Ischaemia:Artery Repair”, August 2017, by DAvid Holmes. I wanted to write in agreement with what Mr. David Holmes suggested.

I am in agreement with the article and think there should be more experiments done on the CD34 protein to further find out its functions . There are many people with CDL that aren’t eligible for the limited surgical treatments and have to face death. This revelation of the protein CD34 and its potential future in cell therapy gives hope to those with CLI ( critical Limb Ischaemia).

The CD34 protein can be a game changer in the field of regenerative medicine and can reduce the death rate of individuals with CDL. If the CD34 protein successfully works it can be applied to not only to those who suffer from CLI but also very possibly other health ailments. Thank you for the research you have done and look forward to reading your findings after the clinical trials.

Sincerely,
    Leslie M. Bonilla

13. s.powell

Shanna Powell
    1654 Thompson Street
    Douglasville, Georgia 12534
    (484) 355-5522
    hiredtoday@thebestjobever.com

September 9, 2017

Molly McDonough , Editor
    ABA Journal
    321 N. Clark St., 20th FL
    Chicago, IL 60654

Dear Ms. Molly McDonough,

As a paralegal studies scholar with several critical publications. I wanted to write in agreements with the recent article written by Debra Cassens Weiss (“Cops Arrest Nurse After She Says He Needs Warrant or Consent For Blood Draw). It is my option that this article bring to light the issues being faced on the road and in

In this article, a the nurse refused to take blood from an unconscious truck driver brought into the hospital that was involved in a car accident. The police department demanded the nurse draw the blood but she refused. The nurse contacted her supervisor giving evidence to her following the hospital rules and regulations but the officers proceeded to arrest her. This article shows the injustice that can result from police officers not knowing the very law they are to uphold. The case law included in this article is Birchfield v North Dakota, 2016, a case involving a suspected drunk driver, told he would serve time if he refused to take a blood test showing his blood alcohol level. This case proves, it is illegal for law enforcement to force the drawing of a possible suspects blood, which by law is considered intrusive and a violation of a person’s fourth amendment right. It is only legal if the officers obtain a legal and proper warrant from the courts.
    This article was and is a view into a lot of incidences where law enforcement over step their rights as officers and try to take the law into their own hands. This also educates the public, who may not be familiar with the law and their rights. It is lawful for an arresting police officer to ask a suspected drunk driver to take a BAC test, which is a blood alcohol concentration test. It is unlawful to force a suspected drunk driver or any suspect to take a blood test without a warrant. Through blood work, more than just the blood alcohol level can be discovered. For example, a person’s medical history like their STD/HIV (AIDS) status, cancer history, or genetic defects. This takes away a person’s right to privacy and anonymity. The information discovered from these tests must be left with the department which requested the test, which anyone can access.
    I applaud the author and the proper use of case law within her article. Not only are readers walking away educated in the law but they are also walking away with confidence in their rights as citizens. Lastly this article shows that not all officers are correct in there information of the law. I hope this opens up a conversation of awareness with the heads of police departments across the nation. Hopefully this will get them to investigate the lack of education among their own colleagues. We may never know how many rights have been violated from this unconstitutional act. All that can be done now is be aware. Once you know better, you must do better,

Sincerely,

Shanna Powell

14. Ronald Hinds

106 Garnett Street
    Brooklyn NY 11206
    201- 347-2333
    Ronald.Hinds@mail.citytech.cuny.edu

September 12, 2017

Ms Susan Hassler, Editor
    IEEE Spectrum
    3 Park Avenue
    New York NY 10016-5997

Dear Editor,
    I disagree with the content of the article titled “The Nuclear Weapons Complexities,” by G. Pascal Zachary, contained in the IEEE Spectrum of August 2017. My disagreement lies in primarily my objection to these weapons which can destroy our planet many times over. The article states, as a concern, that these weapons can “ignite” a new arms race and continues to talk about its susceptibility to hackers. That’s enough to raise my hackles.
    I want to clearly promulgate my credentials as a peace maker. Why doesn’t the writer propose that the astronomical, associated cost(s), be used as an investment in education, for eradicating disease, feeding the hungry and housing the homeless? The writer talks about an obscene proposal to spend $100 billion on a submarine. He does this without any commentary.
    Another point I want to mention is the possibility of human error and even more dangerous the likelihood of the military codes being in the hands of a dangerous and temperamental Commander-in-Chief.
    We live in a dangerous world. Let sanity prevail!

Very truly yours,

Ronald C. Hinds

15. Arnold

123 Random ST
    DesconocĂ­do, MIA 09876
    (800) UNK-NOWN
    Arnold.Lopez@mail.citytech.cuny.edu

September. 05, 2017

Priya Elan, Editor
    The Guide
    King’s Place, 90 York Way,
    London N1 9GU

Dear Priya Elan,

I am a great fan of The Guide and I thoroughly enjoy all the articles in your magazine. However, I must say I am in disagreement with some statements made in this week’s article “Achtung, maybe?” by Peter Robinson. I may agree with the entire topic the article is covering, but the evidence and conclusion deriving from said evidence is completely wrong.
    The article Mr. Robinson had written about eras in music made total sense to me, as I’ve probably never heard the term “album campaign” used before this article. However, I don’t think album campaigns are disappearing since he himself states they are being called eras now. The only thing disappearing is the name. The second, and biggest disagreement, I have with the article is his reasoning for Katy Perry’s current problems in the music industry. He said, “The era rulebook is brief – consistent typography, a distinct colour palette and so on – but one law must be followed: never change your hairstyle mid-era.” This is most certainly not the case since the changing of her hair style was the start of a new era. The problems she has don’t derive from her choice in hair style, but from the actions she’s taken on social media and the people attacking her for it.
    Katy Perry had lashed out against one of her fans on a live feed when they said they preferred her long, dark locks to which she replied, “Oh, do you miss Barack Obama as well? Ok, times change. Bye.” This garnered a lot of heat all while her fans defended her saying she is a huge Obama supporter and that the joke was just “a lame joke.” Soon after, on twitter, @CallMeMano claimed Perry was comfortable calling him “her #nigga,” but that he wasn’t. This had people going further back in his posts to see he often claimed she regularly used the word and tweeted “mos privileged white people with cool wealthy blk friends think they can say nigga.” Furthermore, Katy Perry claimed she was going make purposeful pop music and when Swish Swish came out, this was seen as a track against Taylor Swift. This sparked Ruby Rose, friend to Taylor Swift, to speak out against the track along with plenty of her and Swift’s fans. She claimed Perry had gone against her word to release purposeful pop and said she was low for saying she was going political activist only to ditch it and release Swish Swish. These are the reasons she is facing issues, not a change of hairstyle.
    I will continue to remain a fan of the magazine, but be sure to get all the facts before accusing a hairstyle for someone’s troubles in the industry.

Sincerely,
    Arnold Lopez

16. zina

33 Dove street
    Brooklyn, NY 11238
    347-304-6969
    zina2760@gmail.com

Sepetmber 5, 2017

Editor
    Facilities Management Journal
    London, UK

Dear Mr. Editor.

As a facilities management student, caught my interest the Energy Management Article that is written by Mr. Alan Luscombe from Uninterruptable Power Supplies (UPS) in (FMJ Volume 25 of May 2017). Explaining the new technology to protect computerized systems in smart building from electronic disturbances and choosing the right UPS solution.

The article raised a very important point by mentioning the factors that determine how to choose the right UPS solution. One main factor is the individual needs of the organization or the facility. In addition the UPS solution system is ideal for short-time blackouts especially in organizations that cannot afford power interruption. However in the case of long-time blackouts is best to support the UPS with a power generator to establish a seamless end-to-end solution.

In conclusion, I believe it’s essential to use such a system in facilities and organizations in order to avoid power interruption.

Sincerely

Zinab S. Adam

17. Tunde O

Tunde Ogunyemi
    696 Saratoga Avenue
    Brooklyn NY. 11212
    (917) 881-7854
    Tunde.Ogunyemi@mail.citytech.cuny.edu
    7th October 202017
    Michael W. Smith
    Chief Medical Editor, WebMD
    300 Jay St
    Brooklyn, NY. 12345

Dear Mr. Smith,

As a student at New York City College of Technology majoring in Nursing, I read the article “Remote Control”, March/April 2017, by Kara Mayer Robinson. I am writing in agreement to what Ms. Kara suggested in the article and at the same time to give my own additional suggestion that could be of help.

The article was all about the remote gym class of fitness, at home streaming and studio. As it was stated that all that one needed to set up a remote and fitness class of studio is to have enough space at home to accommodate every move, equipment that is necessary, device must be working well and the area must be well lighten to allow the instructor to be able to see every move of the streaming at the other end.

In addition, I strongly agree that the individual participant must not miss the time to start in order not to lack behind the group class. There must be adequate supply of internet and camera must be well positioned so that the instructor will be able to see every move of the participant. The individual participant must log into the class earlier than the scheduled time the meeting.

I found out that traveling to the gym is an exercise on its own, but the remote studio class will cut off some exercise aspect of traveling to the studio either by jugging to the jum or driving. However, this article was very informative and any interested participant will have to spend extra dollars to purchase the necessary equipment and must be time conscious and disciplined.

Sincerely
    Tunde Ogunyemi