Project 2, Writing

To begin class, write a quick memo about what few great insights you have learned from your research. The body of your memo should be no more than six sentences long and it should not include any quotes or paraphrasing. It should be in your own words. However, you can mention where the things that you have learned come from. For example, “I learned about the creation of the Macintosh computer in Steven Levy’s book titled Insanely Great.” You’ll have 20 minutes to write this memo and then post it as a comment to this blog post. Afterwards, we will discuss the overall layout of your research paper and give you the remaining time to begin writing it. Remember to use APA formatting as detailed on the Purdue OWL APA site. We will follow their example paper for overall layout, and of course, cite and reference everything quoted or paraphrased in your essay.

8 thoughts on “Project 2, Writing

1. Lauren

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Lauren Brewster
    DATE: April 19, 2017
    Subject: Project 2 Research Summary

So far in my research I have learned that user interface design are the visual elements that you use to interact with any device(computer, tablet, phone). There are a lot of various UI designs today. For example, buttons like the “like button” on Facebook, which is represented by a thumbs up, is an example of a UI design. My research has also lead me to learning more about UX design. UX is the user experience, and many companies are hiring UX designers to study what customers like and don’t like about a UI design. UX designers essentially conduct research to decide which UI designs work best for users and which don’t.

2. ajahneikj

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Ajahneik Jackson
    DATE: April 19th,2017
    SUBJECT: Project 2 Writing

While researching womanism I have discovered that this particular movement was not based upon solely liberating and creating a voice for African American woman. Womanist are a group of African American women that concentrates on not only fighting on both sides of the spectrum for African American rights as well as women’s rights, but this group emphasizes why there is a need of spirituality in the African American community. They also focus on spiritually aligning and re-building up African American men, as well as incorporating the significance of African American sisterhood This group of women were inspired by African American women known for their very popular forms of literary work such as Alice Walker, Audre Lorde, and Maya Angelou. In each piece of their work there are often correlations to what it means to be a womanist. For example Alice Walker “The Color Purple,” is based upon the quote that refers to womanism as such, “womanism is to feminism, what purple is to lavender.”.

3. Abdulla Attareb

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Abdulla Attareb
    DATE: April 19, 2017
    SUBJECT: Project 2, Writing Memo

To reiterate, my research project is on LEED certification. LEED certification is a green building rating system used to evaluate the environmental performance of a building and encourage a transformation towards sustainable design. I learned that this rating system is broken down into categories that are detailed to show you even the smallest of ways to save energy and be more economical. After reading up more about this you come to understand that by following this rating system you have a win-win situation in your hands. Everyone benefits, from the building owner, to the people that work in the building, and most importantly the environment. A fun fact I learned is that even having a small parking lot instead of a big one can actually save a lot of energy and money.

4. Destiny Ramos

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Destiny Ramos
    DATE: April 19, 2017
    SUBJECT: Project 2, Research Summary

When I came across the articles, books, and other resources, I saw that journalism dates back to the early 1900s and even a bit before then. I also found out that with journalism there is no right or wrong way to do it because there are different topics and different ways to do journalism. One of the resources I took was one of my Professor’s books and when I read through it, he had a different take on what journalism should be. However when I looked at the other resources, none of them sounded like they were talking about the same journalism. Journalism can be creative if it wants to be or needs to be, it doesn’t have to be serious, especially when it comes to political or other serious matters. Journalism also depends on the readers so if the journalist wants to write a comedic article about politics then they can and it’s still considered as appropriate.

5. Iliane Soriano

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Iliane Soriano
    DATE: April 19, 2017
    SUBJECT: Project 2 Writing

The most interesting concept I learned while doing my research was the way DNA was sequenced before the introduction of Next-generation sequencing. The original method used was the Sanger sequencing method. Every company that has created next-generation sequencing technology has used the sanger sequencing method to guide their creations. Another interesting concept I learned was that there are many companies that are trying to build the “best” machine to perform DNA sequencing the quickest. Genome sequencing has become more common in today’s society. In order to perform genome sequencing DNA sequencing has to be done. I also learned that one of the most important companies involved in next-generation sequencing is Illumina.

6. Esmeralda V.

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Esmeralda Vizueth
    DATE: April 19, 2017
    SUBJECT: Project 2, Research Insights

This memo provides insights gained from research on cryptography.

It is estimated that cryptography has been used since AD 1467. Group of activists who believe that cryptography should be reinforced in cyber-communication call themselves cypherpunks.
    Cypherpunks create from local to global gathering known as “Cryptoparties” in order to teach the importance of cryptography. Various apps and websites use end-to-end encryption. In 2009 the Bitcoin was launched and it’s used today as digital currency.

7. Danny Hsu (Chia Hao)

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Chia Hao Hsu
    DATE: April 19, 2017
    SUBJECT: Project 2 Writing Memo

Robotics and Mechatronics is a branch of engineering and science that involves the study and research of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science and many other discipline that comes together. It is usually a combination of technologies from these discipline that comes together to develop simple or complex machines meant to do a specific task it was designed for or many different tasks depending on the sophistication of the designed machine. Many large scale companies develop and incorporate some kind of autonomous mechanical system for assembly work because it allows for them to cut back on the labor force needed for a specific task that they might need to hire if they didn’t. A Robotic systems also requires minimal down time which allows for the company to operate longer hours without the need to pay for the extra hourly labor cost. Many robotics systems today are designed through research and development of hour nature and the process of evolution works.

8. ERNSO MOISE

To: Prof Ellis
    From: Ernso Moise
    Subject : Summary research
    Date: 04/19/17

I choose to talk about senior citizens, that means talking about all the good and bad that subject will carry. I will write about seniors and retirement, and all the facts that everyone should be aware of, when it comes to their parents and in later years their own self. I have been going over some documents and I have been in a state of shock to see what some seniors have to go for some basic needs. When it comes to retirement , many seniors does not even know if they can actually afford retirement which is really severe in term of a hard time that they are having. I discover that many seniors have to plan in term of end of life, it seems for many, things will BE sorted out by a government decision or some people will pop up from nowhere to deal with the issue. There are a lot of good information that will be provided.