Exploring City Tech’s Architectural Technology and a Career in Interior Architecture by Onica Leitch-Edinboro

Onica Leitch-Edinboro
Professor Jason Ellis
English1101 D340
11 May 2015

2015-05-08 12.15.25My name is Onica Leitch-Edinboro. I am a student at the New York City College of Technology (City Tech) and I am majoring in Architectural Technology with the ultimate goal of becoming an Interior Architect. I believe that this is the best career for me, because I have always wanted to be an Interior Architect, Interior Architecture is an upper middle-income paying job, Interior Architecture has a wide range of professions, and in a career in Interior Architecture will allow me to create designs for interior spaces for building as needed.Capture13 In addition, I am a very creative designer, who thinks outside the box. Also, I am a very dedicated, reliable, and hard working person, who is determined to be one of the best Interior Architects in the world. In this essay, I will discuss the following: road map.

When I was younger, I lived in Guyana, and it was there that I decided to become an Interior Architect. When I made that decision, I called my father, who lived in the United States at that time, and I asked him, “What do I need to do to pursue, an Interior Architecture career?” He advised me to go to Guyana’s, Government Technical Institute, and find out what information they had on the study of Architecture, gather that information, and study it, which I did.

In my first year at Guyana’s, Government Technical Institute, some of my architect instructors advised me to attend and complete the University Of Guyana’s six-year architecture graduate program. Had I not done that, it would have permitted me to attain my architect licensure. Unfortunately, Guyana was not the place for me to finish pursuing architecture, because my father decided to move me to the United States.

On my arrival to the United States, flashes of my destiny had appeared to me, I saw myself graduating from a university, and from that instant I knew that being in America, here In New York, is where I needed to be.

A few days after, I started to do some research on the different colleges that were offering the Architectural Technology Program here in New York. Out of the few colleges that I have checked out online, City Tech was my best option. Furthermore, I decided to research the City Tech profoundly, because I wanted to have a keen understanding of what their Architectural Technology program is about, which led me to the City Tech Catalog. 1According to City Tech Catalog, “The Architectural Technology program is a four-year Bachelor of Technology Program and a two-year associate degree program.” It goes in to state that, “This Architectural Technology program, educates students to assist the architect and perform at a high level in design, contract documents and the construction stages of a building project. “ In addition, City Tech’s Catalog explains that, “The pre-professional program familiarizes students with up to date architectural office practices and procedures including computer-aided design and drafting.” Moreover, it states, “Studio work gives the students the opportunity to develop their talents by participating in various architectural projects from inception to final drawings and models.” After reading City Tech Catalog, I was pleased, and I have chosen to further my Architectural Technology Studies, here at City Tech College.

2015-05-07 11.24.082015-05-07 11.21.45

During my Architecture Technology two-year associate degree program, at City Tech, I learned how to manipulate the software programs that are required for that major. The required software programs include AutoCAD, Rhino, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, and Revit. Also, I learned how to design portfolios, buildings and building’s drawings. In addition, I developed my skill at hand drafting, which includes, drawing prospective views, axonometric views, floor plans, elevations, and sections. Additionally, I learned how to manually design and make concept models, and how to use the same ideas for replication using AutoCAD, Rhino, and laser cut software. Moreover, I learned the techniques of how to plan and develop sites for projects of all kinds. However, in order for me to acquire a bachelor’s degree in Architecture Technology, I gain a deeper understanding of these topics and perform more complicated workflows than I discuss above.

Attaining a degree in Architecture Technology, at City Tech will qualify me for some great career options. According to City Tech Catalog, architecture graduates will be qualify for the positions of “Architectural technician, CAD drafter, architecture renderer, architectural maker, manufacturer’s representative, assistant specifications writer and clerk of the work.”

After I have graduated from the New York City College of Technology (City Tech), I would like to pursue a Master degree in Interior Architecture at New York City College. Also, I will own my Architecture firm as an elite designer, and to create more job opportunities for students who are seeking career in Interior Architecture. As for now, I will use the knowledge that I have achieved from City Tech to apply for internships with building construction agencies, government’s agencies, and earn enough money to start saving for my future goals. However, the Architecture career article online states, “Many of the new graduates from architecture design schools go to work for specialized firms, while some work for residential or nonresidential building construction agencies. Others go to work for the government, taking jobs in bureaus that deal with the development of housing and communities.”

Being an Architect was my childhood dream, because I have been fascinated with buildings designs. In fact, I have always been captivated with anything to do with architectural designs. Also, it is something that I have strongly developed a passion for, and it is something that I know I will excel in.

Cost of living is expensive, therefore money is essential in life. However, I need enough money to get through life. Moreover, with me having a career in Interior Architecture, which is an upper middle-income paying job, I will earn on an average, ninety-one thousand per year. According to Interior Architect Salary in New York, NY, on an average year, Interior Architects make “$91,000.”

Having a profession as an Interior Architect is a great career choice for me, because as an Interior Architect, I would not have to be too concerned about finding a job that focus only on interior designing. Interior Architect Salary in New York, NY, declares that the traditional professions of an interior architect include “Architect, Construction Manager, and Industrial Designer. Also, it states that interior architect professions include Landscape Architect, Urban Planner and Developer, and Interior Architecture Expert.” Moreover, Interior Architect Salary in New York, NY explains that are other interior architect related jobs, which can include,” Principal or professor in an architectural design school, Architecture critic, Architecture photographer, Real estate project manager, and Civil engineering.”

Whenever we think of buildings, or to design buildings, we have to think of the room spaces that would be suitable for the specific purposes. As an Interior Architect, it would be my responsibility to incorporate the right kind of spaces throughout the interior of buildings, which will meet the clients’ expectation. I say this because some buildings maybe constructed without having the desired interior room spaces for the client, as a result, they may not serve the purposes of the client. Given from A Conceptual Overview of the Interior Architecture Students’ Project Works, Introduction,” Today, it has been understood that the spaces even from the early times have been used as a means for our activities, and that they begin to serve for different purposes, and thus the concept of interior space has gained more significance than ever.”

2015-05-09 18.08.01Obtaining a degree in Architectural Technology prepares me to get a job at firms such as “Davis/Brody Architects, The Dormitory Authority of the States of New York, Gwathmey Siegel, HOK, Skidmore Owings and Merrill.” Also, prepares me to get job at firms such as “Michael Lynn Associates, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, and New York City Department of Parks.” Moreover, at firms such as” Robert, A.M. Stern Architects, U.S. Government Corps of Engineers, Walker Group, Peter Brooks Associates (England), Heier & Monse Architects (Germany) and Christian Moreau Architects (France).”

For those of you whom might be interested in Architecture Technology major or a career in Interior Architecture, City Tech is the perfect place for you. To gather more information on City Tech, you can go to New York City College of Technology (City Tech) Catalog on line or you can visit the school’s location, NAMM Building, at 300 Jay Street, Brooklyn, New York. Under the City Tech Catalog, make sure to look under the heading of “Architectural Technology” and for the present year you would like to start. In addition, some websites that will inform you more about a career in Interior Architecture are http://www.architecturecareer.net/interior-architects/jobs.html and http://library.citytech.cuny.edu/.

Works Cited

Acici, Funda Kurak. “A Conceptual Overview of the Interior Architecture Students’ Project Works.” International Journal of Academic Research. V.5. No. 2 March 2013. Print.

“Interior Architect Jobs.” ArchitectureCareer. ArchitectureCareer.net. Apr. 2010. Web. 01 Apr.
2015.

“Interior Architect Salary.” Indeed. Indeed.com. n.d. Web. 01 Apr. 2015.

New York City College of Technology (City Tech). “Architectural Technology.” New York City
College of Technology College Catalog 2013 and after. Web. 01 April 2015.