Communication design

Shamach Campbell

10/12/15

ENG 1101

Communication Design: AKA Graphic arts

My name is Shamach and my major here at the New York City College of Technology is Communication Design, also known as Graphic Arts. I would like to work as a Professional Graphic Designer and Animator. I feel that graphic arts is the best career choice for me because it not only gives me the freedom of being able to create anything from scratch, but it also allows me to become recognized as an individual capable of amazing artistic and communication skills. Ever since I was young I’ve always had an interest in arts and animation, but what really made me take a curiosity in graphic arts was the chance to make a video game. Now three years later I have been practicing how to do 3d modeling and create amazing scenes, and I feel that if I were to do it professionally it could open up a lot of opportunities for me. I can make tons of cash by making commissions, animate and sell stock footage, even also create ads, and the best part is I could work from home. It can also help me with social skills like giving presentations to other companies and help people communicate through visual content. But I think the absolute best part about being a graphic artist is that I have the opportunity to appeal to an audience that could not only like my work but, respects me for it as well as the things you do. In this essay I will not only be stating the reasons for choosing communication design as my major, but and I will also talk more about how I plan to exceed in my major and future career.

The name of my major is called communication design; basically it’s a mix between design and informational development and it’s my job to use those designs to connect with people. Right now I am learning how to use not only the adobe photo editing programs, but I am also learning more about art and its meaning. I go to the School Of Technology And Design and the degree I am after that is available according to the New York City College of Technology catalog, is my “Associates in Applied science in Communication Design.” After graduating with this degree I will have not only acquired an array of visual communication skills, but I would have also learned a ton of different design and animation techniques like proper lighting and sculpting. When it comes to finding a career, there are a lot different choices I can pick in terms of my career. According to the bureau of labor statistics occupational outlook hand book some of the careers I could be part of include things like web designing, advertisement promoter, or even a market manager. There is as the possibility of working for a much larger company that could use someone like me, for example if I decide to work on ads for Samsung or work on animations for Illumination Arts studios.

One of the reasons I want a career in professional graphic design and animation is because of overall job setting and benefits. According to the bureau of labor statistics occupational outlook hand book, on average most professional graphic artist can make up to $40,000 annually. Not to mention it also depends on the type of graphic designer you are, whether it is designing websites making up to $60,000 annually or doing advertising promotion and market management for a large company and make $110,000. However, most of the time professional companies require you to have a bachelor’s degree to work for them. Since I am just going after my Associates in Applied science in Communication Design, my plan is to start doing freelance work to build up my professional portfolio. Some of the ways I can do that are by, selling 3d and 3d printed models online, I can start do art commissions and advertisements for small companies, and I could also become an indie game developer. And if all else fails I can always take some health course and become a medical illustrate, or even work for YouTube. But it not just about the money that makes it interesting, it’s also the potential growth in my computer and social skills.

Another reason why Graphic arts is the best career choice for me because, it can also help me with social skills like giving presentations to other companies and help people communicate through visual content. Back then I wasn’t the most open person, I usually kept to myself and always wonted talk to people about my art skills. But in order for me to be taken seriously as both an artist and designer, I had to learn how to open up, talk to people, and listen to every word they had to say to learn even more about them. As a graphic artist my job is to create works of art that people will not only understand, but makes them think and the best way to do that was to sit down and talk to that client, audience, or company. According to a recent article called “20 years of change: graphic design in past present & future decades,” the author talked about how as technology gets more and more advanced, designs need to keep advancing as well. He also says that it not just about making what the client wants but what he wanted as well. This is because even though the client my think they know what I want, it’s important for the designer to come up with something new and innovative. It’s these designs that allow those clients or companies to understand a new form of communication in the coming future. It’s with these skills that need to learn in order to appeal to an audience.

Another reason why Graphic arts is the best career choice for me because, I have the opportunity to appeal to an audience that may like my work and perhaps respect my dedication and hard work. The entire purpose of communication design is to teach people how to think critically, and creatively to solve visual communication problems. With my creations I will not only have a unique style people may love but I will be able to connect with them, and learn from them to enhance my craft. According to the article “20 years of change: graphic design in past present & future decades,” they talk about how as the world of design changes, people start learning how to recognize different types of creativity trends and eventually they buy into it. In the past some people might often have tried to change it themselves, and now some of those people are becoming sponsors, patrons even. Without other external influences, this can allow designers to do much more with their creations; it gives them the chance to say more in very different ways. By having new and innovative ideas and creations, I can connect with an audience and understand what they feel or think about when I introduce them to a design. I wouldn’t be restricted by anyone’s expectations, I can teach them to see differently. Through this my work will have meaning and depth, and it can become recognized for significance and creativity. In the end both audience and I can get what we want, better art value, better opportunities and even better experiences.

In conclusion, I feel that graphic arts is the best career choice for me because it not only gives me the freedom of being able to create anything from scratch, but it also allows me to become recognized as an individual capable of amazing artistic and communication skills. My goal is to not only to become recognized for these skills but to be able to make enough money to support myself. I also want to be able to improve my social skills, I may not like talking in front of a large crowd but I feel that I can eventually learn how to do it in the future. I want to be someone who can become well known for his messages and not just for his art. Lastly I feel that with enough time and effort I won’t just be a designer, I will become a well-known Graphic artist.

Citation page

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/arts-and-design/graphic-designers.htm#tab-7

http://go.galegroup.com.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu:2048/ps/i.do?&id=GALE|A263667256&v=2.1&u=cuny_nytc&it=r&p=AONE&sw=w&authCount=1

http://www.citytech.cuny.edu/catalog/docs/catalog.pdf page 199