An Introduction to the City Tech AIR Department

“Research” often brings up to mind a dry, academic environment, where everybody is focused on crunching numbers. For this reason, I had my reservations about my design internship with City Tech’s AIR department. The AIR department is an institution dedicated to providing academic data. It is located in the college’s Namm building, on the 2nd floor. The department primarily analyzes research data and comes up with best ways to optimize students’ academic performance throughout the school.

air-logo

This research data eventually gets put in publications online, which is where I came in. All of AIR’s designers and design interns are expected to help design their research publications and posters for upcoming events. Although the department is a part of the school, the primary audience aren’t students. Instead, it’s school faculty and professors.

Naturally, almost every major member at AIR has teaching or school administrative experience themselves. For example, the head of AIR, Dr. Tammie Cumming, recently published a book on how psychometrics play a key role in academic assessment. As a former research student, I do appreciate the amount of effort that goes into these types of reports. Although they sound dry and boring, regularly gathering data on clientele shows a dedication to not just evolve, but to better account for customers’ needs.