At generationOn, I am the only design intern. I am responsible for completing a variety of design tasks/projects including, social media graphics, one-pagers for promotional material, campaign design work including toolkits, promotional pages, infographics, and program collateral.

My supervisor is Kate Kerley, Senior Manager of Marketing & Communications. There is one more member of the MarComm department which is Niki Huntsman, Digital Marketing Coordinator.

I found this internship through Looksharp.com. genOn was looking for multiple interns to fulfill roles in different departments and one of them happened to be communications/design. I applied and attached my resume and portfolio in the middle of August, about two weeks before their deadline of August 31st. I wasn’t very hopeful because there was no response and I figured they had already filled the position. During the first week of September however, Kate emailed me saying that there had been a problem when opening my portfolio but she’d like to meet with me in person in the following week.

I went to the interview early and was seen right away. We talked about my experiences as a student, the available position, and the company itself. Kate asked me about my design process and what I felt I could teach the genOn staff. She also asked questions about my workload in terms of school and volunteering. We even spoke about a previous interview I’d been on that felt like a bad fit for me. Before I knew it, she was thanking me for coming and I was waiting on the elevator. I ended up leaving at the time we were supposed to meet originally which worried me. After about 5 days though, I was emailed again and offered the position and happily accepted.