Homework Due Monday, Sept. 13th
PLEASE Comment on or reply to a comment of AT LEAST ONE of your classmate’s!
- Read “Mother Tongue” by Amy Tan, write a response to the questions in a comment below.
- What did you think of this text? Explain!
- What is it mostly about? Write a 2-4 sentence summary. Be specific. Refer to the text itself. Use quotes even!
- What is the genre of the text? What is the tone?
- Amy Tan writes, “Recently, I was made keenly aware of the different Englishes I do use.” What does she mean by this? What different “Englishes” does she use? When does she use them?
- What does Amy Tan mean when she uses the term “mother tongue?”
- What was Amy Tan’s perspective on her mother’s English as a child? How does it change over time? What influences led to her shift in perspectives?
- Why do you think Amy Tan wrote this article? Who do you think is her intended audience?
- Think about your relationship to the languages in your life. Describe at least two different languages or forms of language that you use either in speaking or writing. For example, when you text or email vs. when you speak. Or when you speak to a family member vs. a friend. Or a professor vs. a friend. Does it change depending on your audience? How? Why?
2. Write a micro-autobiography (60 words or less!) Possible ideas – examples – a 10 word memoir, a poem, a Haiku, an online bio, a dating profile! Post in the comments below.
3. ***Draft of Project 1 Due Mon. Sept. 27th***