English Composition II

Week 11: Day 1 and 2

My target audience for my composition is City Tech freshmen. My main point hasn’t changed from my Unit 2 composition; I still aim to educate and inform my audience about the history of skincare and its parallelism to modern-day approaches. My chosen genre that I think will work the best for my project is a video essay which will include interviews and research from my article. I will also include videos of people making these “products” and using them as they would in the past. I want to make this project observable and visual, therefore, I’ll be doing voiceovers and including minimum text because that tends to “bore” the viewer. To work with this new technology I will need to learn video formatting and editing. This can be easily done through online tutorials and trial and error. I will also need to condense the information from my article to make sure the main points are highlighted. Since my audiences are most likely young adults/adults, I will cross-study and examine the best approach to editing my video. As expected, I will also need to study documentaries of people who are familiar to these approaches. Perhaps, contacting an Egyptologist may help a great deal.

Schedule:
Day 1: Conduct interviews with people of three perspectives (expert: local dermatologist, an elder: my grandmother, a high school student: Yousef Aydin) and gather information. Begin formatting and organizing the layout of the video.
Day 2: Find perspectives and statements from Egyptologists. Learn how to make an intelligible and engaging video essay. I will also work on the artist statement.
Day 3: Gather and compile information from my article, include pictures, include the interview, and conduct additional research if needed. Make a draft for the video.
Day 4: Edit and embellish the video appropriately for the audience.

1. Prof. Edelson

SALOMEE! I LOVE YOUR SPIRIT OF SELF-EDUCATION! A lot of people would be daunted by the idea of teaching themselves video editing (from videos online, no less), but you gave yourself the challenge and accepted it! Keep this spirit of initiative and self-education with you throughout your life. Of course, I still find your subject matter intriguing.
    Remember to leave time to write an artist’s statement.
    Sincerely,
    Prof. Edelson