Next weeks write in and office hour is on Wednesday at 6PM.  Please come ready to write on OpenLab. We may even share what we wrote together.  

HW Day One:

Watch: Intro and Conclusion Overview slideshow  

POST: Unit One Rough Draft: At Least 1000 words

HW DAY Two:

Today, you will be read your classmates’ rough drafts, and write responses to them.  Look for one other thing especially: PURPOSE.  In other words, Latifah tells us about the use of the word “queen” in her community to talk about self-respect .  She’s not just randomly telling us things about the word.  Diaz tells us about the fuku for a number of reasons as well: to tell us how Dominican culture has affected the US, to give us some history… and even to warn us.  They both have a PURPOSE.

Without a purpose, a piece of writing is, to put it kindly, hard to read.  Your reader wonders: why in the world am I reading this?  Now, in a rough draft, the purpose may be a little bit hidden, and that’s okay.  But when you are reading these rough drafts, I want you to write down WHY you think the author is telling us about this word (even if the purpose is hidden). And for writers, if your readers are totally off and they missed your purpose– well, you may have to clarify when you revise!

Read your classmates’ drafts and respond. Also, let them know what you think the purpose of their piece is: why are they writing about this word?  Here are some of the types of comments you might want to make as well: 

• I liked (       ) because …
  • I got this from reading your work:                                         
  • I found this part interesting (                             ) because…
  • I got confused here (                            ) because…
  • I wanted to know more about                           because…