To be honest and direct, when I started reading the text, I was completely lost, which I still am. English is my second language, so mostly I had a hard time understanding the author and even more so when he used very unusual words that are out of my vocabulary, like the ones in this text. I think that right now, I am still connecting points regarding the general idea. I believe “fuku” is a word that is part of a culture that identifies and unites a community like the Dominican Republic. It is a name for a type of curse that a person or a family may have or had suffered.

Something that, in particular, confused me a lot about the text and made me think a lot was page number four. In its entirety, it talks about the curse of Kennedy, also of the country Vietnam. I get the idea that it has to do with Trujillo, a head of state who had the Dominican Republic under a dictatorship. Still, I’m not so sure since the vocabulary he uses is very formal and at the same time with a lot of slang and also somewhat poetic through all the text, which made me feel very lost.

I think the author was trying to tell us the story of the word “Fuku” which means curse. Also, talking about where it came from and how the belief began started in the community. This happened through the time of the dictator Trujillo, of whom people believed that he was closely related to that. This word is very much from the culture of the Dominican Republic since the author concludes that each person or family has their “fuku” as I said before. It is presented in different ways, and sometimes the curse also takes time, but it eventually arrives.