blog 8

The Nassau County Museum of Art had a virtual show up for the blue exhibit. The concept was to take the color blue and use it however you had pleased. The following were the pieces that I had chosen. 

The first piece I chose was the BBC’s History of Art in Three Colours: Blue video made by Dr James Fox. The exhibit explores how, in the hands of artists, the colours gold, blue and white have stirred our emotions, changed the way we behave and even altered the course of history.  James had discussed this and compared it to how throughout history these colors were always important. In the Middle Ages, the precious blue stone lapis lazuli arrived in Europe from the East, blue became the most exotic and mysterious of colours.  Fox said in his presentation, “ it was artists who used it to offer us tantalising glimpses of other worlds beyond our own.” I agree, seeing a good color blue is what provokes emotion. We use it for graduation, uniforms and even work gear, it’s an important color but it shouldn’t be the only color. 

The next piece I looked at was the Blue storytelling lesson which was a slideshow presentation of a bunch of different blue photos edited together. There were different pictures like the history of the trail of tears and the industrial era. I like how the exhibit doesn’t explain what it’s trying to do and just shows the pictures only with the tint. It allows for the viewer to have their own interpretation of the events and what it means. Also I feel like it’s interesting that the only thing changed from these images were the tint and hue and it was able to spark some sort of conversation. 

Finally the last piece that I looked at during the exhibit was the japanese woodblock demonstration and the history behind it. What I looked at from this was the technique behind the woodblock and how it was different from the europeans and east asian countries. They went more into why blue was important and it was like from the history of color they had to gather lapis and sail it from europe to asian and vice versa. This made blue extremely valuable especially in japan so using it for art meant that it was an expensive piece alone. I agree with the price of the medium influencing the price of the work because of how rare the material was. Overall the Museum exhibit was informative and was able to discuss the influence of a single color.