Week 1 – Introductory design drill

Hey there, students and faculty.

In these next few posts I will be detailing my time as an intern at New York Popular. I started working here as a temporary front-end web designer troubleshooting various issues with one of their websites shopwickedapparel.com

Fast-forward to the fall semester, I interned in their design department to get a hands-on experience with print production and “speed designing” so to speak.

I was not ready.

I underestimated the difference of designing for clothing and fabrics vs for a smartphone. Things you wouldn’t even begin to worry about cropped up. What is the ideal size to print text on shirts, complexity limitations for designs, only use one color per print, flexibility and durability of type on fabric… the whole nine yards.

I won’t be covering the technical aspects of my work in depth as that is out of the scope of these posts (and new orders come in by the minute) but I will offer my experiences here. Unedited to a fault. I hope that future students and even the staff here at City Tech take something from these summaries of my week whether it be new skills or new outlooks on working together with complete strangers who are no different than you.

Here’s to the start of a great partnership