Inspirations at the Cooper Hewitt Design Museum!

CAM01521
Water Pattern Design
CAM01524
Chair textured from rope or a thick string

CAM01537
Pen-like drawing design
CAM01538
Chair designed from shoelaces

CAM01544
Round cylindrical solid drum

CAM01560
Chandelier crafted from broken plates and dishes
CAM01577
Tonometer

These two I found to be very interesting because in the first one–which looks a bit like a chandelier, is cleverly crafted because at first glance it just seems like a normal chandelier, but looking closer I discovered that the entire thing is created using broken dishes and plates and put together they give the viewer a sense of unity between all the broken dishes. That goes to show you just how far you can take something so simple or meaningless and turn it into a thing of beauty. In the second picture, we have what is know n in the museum as a “Tonometer”, and there are at least 500+ different tones in each of those small instruments, which means there are many sounds throughout the world than just the ones we know and there may even be more than that.

CAM01531
Design Elements in the museum: Color

During my visit to the Cooper Hewitt Museum of Design, I was amazed and intrigued by many of the exhibits that I came across. A few of the ones I really liked if not all are depicted above. These creations caught my eye and inspired me to believe that even the most simple kind of things can turn into something extradoniary. After all, in teh first photo the design was of a water pattern looks as if it were made through strips of black paper or pen, and upon closer inspection I discover ed that small thread had been woudn throughout the design as well, giving it a very realistic look.

The entire museum was amazing but aside from their amazing exhibits on display, something else caught my eye: Design Elements. As I strolled along through this intricate museum, I soon discovered as I passed by the walls that they too had incorporated and followed the same design elements and principles that we have been learning about in class this semester. There were several such as: Color, Line, Texture, Form and possibly more.  I also noticed that they had effectively showed great use of each of these design elements in some if not all of their showcases. Like the chairs above, one was made out of shoelace and the red one from what could have been some kind of string or rope which were both rough kinds of textures. Overall, this trip was very much worth being able to discover so many different ways to make design evolve more into the future with a mix of technology as well and I would look forward to making this a go-to place to visit once again with classmates or even friends sometime in the future.