Academic Examples

The visual quote that I chose to use for my Graphic Communications assignment was “Birds scream at the top of their lungs in horrified hellish rage every morning at day break to warn us all of the truth, but sadly we don’t speak bird” by Kurt Cobain. I chose this quote because I felt it was a very different quote to use, it had more feeling and emotion in it. Although, it was a very long quote, I have managed to fit it so that it doesn’t look cluttered. So, my goal was to keep it simple yet effective.The visual quote that I chose to use for my Graphic Communications assignment was “Birds scream at the top of their lungs in horrified hellish rage every morning at day break to warn us all of the truth, but sadly we don’t speak bird” by Kurt Cobain. I chose this quote because I felt it was a very different quote to use, it had more feeling and emotion in it. To me, my understanding of this quote is that we aren’t aware of whats going on around us. We either aren’t listening or we are unaware of what this world is. Although, it was a very long quote, I have managed to fit it so that it doesn’t look cluttered. So, my goal was to keep it simple yet effective.

Since the quote is such a deep quote, with dark emotion, I chose to stay with dark colors as it brings out the mood in it. In the first visual quote that I created, I chose a dark navy blue to show a dark “sky,” almost a black look to it. I stood with white text because it pops out more and makes it easier for the viewer to read, and with a hit of red for the “horrified hellish rage” line because to me, those three words scream red to me. I created an abstract bird on the top left corner with feathers around and falling from the bird.

For this second design, I chose to use this burnt red color, again still using dark colors, with different uses of the text. First, each line goes down in size. I did this because I felt the first line, “birds scream at the top…” needed to be bigger than the rest because of the word “top.” I descend the font size going down to bring out the “truth,” and the truth is is that we don’t understand or know what we are being told about the world. The word “day break” in the line “every morning at day break…” I chose to separate the letters “y” and “b” to emphasize the word “daybreak.” The down glow from the text shows darkness, and that’s the kind of mood I feel this quote shows. The scribble on the left side shows rage. It’s very simple, yet it gets to the point. I also thought the scribble fits well because Kurt Cobain writes his songs, so I thought it could be him feeling rage when writing.

For my final design, I chose to but an image of a bird. It’s literal, but it works. Again, very simple with text because of it’s length and image. This image of the bird shows that we are locked away from the truth. We don’t know the truth. There are many strong words used in the quote. I wanted to emphasize a word in each image. In the image, TRUTH is being emphasized by being in red. The red color shows the seriousness of the word.