Philosophy

Reflecting on being a registered nurse, I have come to the realization that throughout the years of being a registered nurse in the emergency room and also forwarding my education with my Bachelor degree, I have set a core of values and beliefs for myself – my nursing philosophy. In order to reach this stage of my life, it consisted of my interactions with growing within myself, my family members, friendship that has developed over the years, co-workers, members of interdisciplinary teams such as doctors, social workers, nutrition and therapists. My nursing philosophy represents and also reflects the growth, I have achieved to become a trauma and emergency room nurse.  As I continue to educate and advance myself in my career, my ethics, cultural and critical care competencies will continue to grow with me exponentially.

I have grown to have a passion and love for Nursing over the years. It has become a lifestyle where I spend most of my time with enjoyment. One has to have a love for people and the need to help people, this helped determine my choice of this profession. I strongly believe that every patient should be treated with respect regardless of their ethnicity, race, age, gender, religious or sexual preference, or socioeconomic status.  Each patient has a right to receive the best possible care when being treated. Patients come into the hospital looking for honesty, help and feeling a sense safety during their care. As a nurse, I am fully aware that I have to be a model of excellence in delivering care to these patients. These patient who are ill, must receive holistic care that is full of integrity. As nurses, we must be able to balance the need for highly technological complex care with human kindness, understanding, cultural competency, safety, privacy, comfort and dignity. This is a profession that was chosen by me with absolutely no regrets.

Being a nurse is an ability to be realistic, goal-centered, yet compassionate.  It is having to be rooted into a solid foundation that requires one to have academic knowledge, experience and also professional intuition. My main goal in life– is to always pursue happiness and that begins with me, always be willing to learn something new,  with reflecting on what has occurred and moreover, being the best nurse that I can be. It is one of my personal goal to share my knowledge with my colleagues.   Educating patient is one of the things that I love in nursing. The goal of interacting with the patients at the end of the day is “where there is knowledge, there is power.” Integration of evidence-based practice into my clinical experience makes it possible for me to gain positive patient outcomes.

Being a nurse requires me to be  compassionate at all times and  develop a trusting relationship with patients and their families – the concept of patient-centered care is integral in my practice. I recognize that fact remains, that I too can become a patient.  I represent myself as a valuable member of a multidisciplinary healthcare team and I am highly committed to helping my patients in reaching their best level of health and well-being.