Wednesday, September 20: A Note From Professor Rodgers

First of all, thanks to Sheldon, Adriana, Mohammed E., Nandi, Chadel, Alex, Mohamed T., Stefan, Tyra, Kyle, Melannie, Akram, Collin, Anika, Hui Lin, Demba, and Omayra for completing GA3 and submitting it on time. Thank you also to Chemar for starting the assignment on time and for posting the work in progress. For those who have yet to submit GA3, feel free to do so. However, as you know: it will be late.

You have all done an excellent job of deciding on a topic and focus for your essay. That said, some of you have a more focused topic than others. That is fine. However, those of you who have a less focused topic may find that you end up having to spend more time this next week figuring out how your essay will be structured and what exact “story” you will be relating. Remember: we all have our own approach to the writing process for college essays. For some of us, brainstorming continues through the drafting process. For others, it does not. However, we all will be learning a lot about the discrete steps involved in the drafting process over the next week.

In my opinion, the seventeen essay topics posted seem to fall into two general categories: 1/ the roles and impacts of technologies on the development of reading and writing practices, and 2/ the roles and impacts of other languages and dialects on the development of reading and writing practices in Standard Written English. Would you agree with this assessment? If so (or if not!), please take a look at your classmates’ posts in GA3 to consider how their topics may relate to your own. I cannot stress to you enough how important it is to talk about what you plan to or are writing about with others, particularly if they have similar concerns. We will also all eagerly await Chemar’s revised GA3 post to see if his topic falls into one of these two categories!

RWA3 is due by the end of the day Wednesday. For those of you who may be working ahead, I have posted GA4 and RWA4. However, I will not make the discussion board for GA4 available until Thursday, Sept. 21.

5 Responses to Wednesday, September 20: A Note From Professor Rodgers

1. Anonymous says:

I definitely agree with you Professor Rodgers! Those are the two general topics that I have recognized mainly because we are a diverse class from the generation that is widely engaged in technology. Technology and where we came from are two things that structure who we are, our habits, how we learn, how we speak, and how we write/read. My topic is similar to Alex’s and Mohamed’s Topic in which we faced the same challenges.

2. Anika says:

I also agree with you Professor Rodgers. Those are the two general categories of the essays. My topic is similar to Mohammed’s.

3. Kyle Brunson says:

I agree with your observation, Professor Rodgers. Technology is a very huge part of our lives. It would make the most sense that people would write about how it relates to their reading and writing practices. I saw a lot of people who planned to write about how the internet and social media influenced reading and writing in their lives. Also, its very easy to see how people would want to tell a story about how other languages impacted their development of reading and writing in Standard Written English. College, more than any other level of schooling before it, brings together people from multiple places in the world to one place so it makes sense to me that the second topic would be prevalent in our class. My topic is unlike either of these but they’re great nonetheless.

4. chemar prussia says:

I definitely agree with you Professor Rodgers! Because those are very two important topic because the time we all living in now most people is very impact by of technologies on the development of reading and writing. Plus i also agree on the roles and impacts of other languages and dialects on the development of reading and writing practices in Standard Written English because a lot of my friends from other part of the world was impact by languages and dialects on the development of reading and writing practices in Standard Written English.