Breast Cancer Walk

Did you know that breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in women? Based on statistics, ā€œabout 1 in 8 (12%) women in the U.S. will develop invasive breast cancer during their lifetimeā€ (American Cancer Society, 2014). The American Cancer Society’s estimates that breast cancer in the United States for 2014, will have about 232,670 new diagnoses of breast cancer and about 40,000 women will die from breast cancer (American Cancer Society, 2014). As a nurse, hearing the statistics is not only scary, but it makes me wonder what I can do to bring awareness to my community.

On October 19, 2014, I attended the breast cancer walk in my local community, Prospect Park. The purpose of this event was to raise awareness about breast cancer. The walk included information about what we could do to reduce our breast cancer risk, as well as screening information for women. The goal was to ā€œraise money to help the American Cancer Society fight the disease with research, information, services, and access to mammograms for women who need themā€(Making strides against breast cancer, 2014).

As an individual, this walk gives you the opportunity to participate, donate or volunteer. I chose to participate and donate. This is a form of advocacy because Iā€™m going out and participating in an event that is affecting both men and women in my community. I am spreading awareness about breast cancer. Not only am I walking with other people who are affected and influenced by this issue, but I am also donating. So that women can get access to mammograms. So that people can get educated in terms of screening and learn ways to reduce their risk of breast cancer. Most importantly, so that research can be done and eventually, a cure can be found for breast cancer.

This was my first walk and it surely wonā€™t be my last. The experience I had at the breast cancer walk is something that had an impact on me. It shows how much of a difference we, as individuals and as a group, can make. It was a moment to be honored to see how women, men and children, all participated in this event to fight the battle against breast cancer.

Reference:
American Cancer Society. (2014). What are the key statistics about breast cancer? Retrieved on November 26, 2014 from http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/detailedguide/breast-cancer-key-statistics

Making strides against breast cancer.(2014). Learning about making strides. Retrieved on November 26, 2014 from http://makingstrides.acsevents.org/site/PageServer?pagename=MSABC_CY14_AboutMakingStrides