Blog #7

Giselle Rodriguez invited to a networking event that is located in Soho. We entered Scholastic’s Big Red Auditorium downstairs. While going down the stairs there’s a large statue of Captain Underpants as well as Clifford, the big red dog. At the end of whole event we met up with Brian Larossa and spoke about how often they do these events throughout the year. This may have been the final one of the year. It was about Designer Ina Saltz regarding her past and her new hobby of photographing typographical tattoos. Ina studied design during her college years and her parents doubted her future because they grew up in  a time in which it was seen as not suitable for living to be an artist. Kind of the starving artist idea. We sit down in a large auditorium that is not packed but is filled up quite a bit. After about 45 mins of Ina explain her past and how she has developed as an artist in the industry, she finally moves onto the tattoo’s portion of the presentation. Which I originally not excited turned out to be extremely interesting. She begins by explaining that it started out as a hobby for her and nothing more. But as she grew more interest in different styles and types of typographical tattoos she goes on to say that she remembers a majority of all the meaningful tattoos that stuck out to her and her husband. Unfortunately I cant remember any of the stories of the tattoos as there were so many. After her presentation ended we go on to go greet and speak with one another. I met an elderly woman, her name was Liz. She was very kind and carried out conversation. She was very interested where my college was located and that was how our conversation began. I later found out that Liz has had her own experience in the design industry. At the time I did not bring any of my business cards but I was grateful to meet her, she seems to be a regular there at these events held by sacks. Unfortunately I had to exit the event earlier than expected due to some things needed to be done. But before I left I was able to see Prof. Larossa again. I completely forgot that he actually works at sacks. We were able to catch up a bit, and he was very interest on how my senior project and what my plans for the future was. Again I did have to leave earlier than expected I had to cut this conversation short and then head home.