Blog #5

Today I learned how important it is to see new environments for animation. While the office is not super exciting today, we of the fun committee, ventured out to look at our basement where we will be conducting an escape room for students that attend our Halloween event at the end of the month. Just spending a little under an hour at the basement gave me tons of ideas on how to improve my poster for the event. For now my idea was to have a pumpkin patch around the logo of the program. As well as having stone statues behind and around the logo. I had not considered the significance of actually having more than a static background that does not give depth to the poster. I am now trying to model the back of the poster which is going to be reminiscent of the actual escape room area that is located in the basement.

I do tons of research as to how animators prepare shots for their animation. While animators rarely have to actually model the background and layout a scene, they do go to actual places to get a feel for how humans move around in specific settings. For example, for the filming of Pixar’s Up they actually went to the cliff and waterfall that is shown in the movie. So that way they get the same sense of danger they would like to portray for they characters that they have to animate. Which ties back as to why it was a great idea to go down to our basement so that I can see and feel the atmosphere I would like our students to feel during our escape room event.