Blog #4

Our office is located at 172 pearl street, which is City Tech’s Environmental building. We are on the second floor and for the most staff members, including all full-time staff, wear business casual attire. So for the most part everyone wears pants a button down shirt, or a dress with very minimal designs on them. The most you will see if maybe a floral dress from one of our academic advisers. Everyone in our office does indeed have a desk, or the least share one with someone who doesn’t work the same shift as them. Our academic advisers all have their own cubicles, while our associate director has her own office space. My supervisor being the director of the program also has his own office space, which is frequently being used for meetings. Part time staff are usually allocated 12 to 20 hours a week, while full time staff work 9-5 everyday of the week. I work 12 hours a week, usually for 2 days Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Being a part time staff who is not usually does not see students, I am not required to dress so formal for work. So I am allowed to wear jeans and even sweatpants to work. I do have to be mindful of graphic clothing that would have controversial things on it. I personally do not own anything of the sort, it is the only thing that is not permitted, since it is an office after all.

Our mornings begins differently for everyone in the office. Our academic advisers sometimes have appointments with students who come early in the morning. Students that are part of the program are assigned to an adviser who they will be seeing for their entire associates degree. They would come in and greet one of CA’s who works the front desk and sign in to let the adviser know that they have arrived on time. By this time the adviser comes out and greets the student and guides the student to their cubicle where they have their monthly meeting and speak about the students academics and things of the sort. For everyone else in the office, we usually find ways on how to improve the students experience in the program, as well as everyone else’s experience in the office. So we make signs to make things easy to find, organizing. As well as sending emails to ensure things are being ordered on time. For example water for the office, also the little things we need for our monthly events and our office.