Event and Role Model

My internship experience this summer was virtual, and I did not attend any in-person events. However, I did attend an online meeting on a website similar to zoom with other members of the Communication Marketing Department. My direct supervisor and company Chair attended as well. There, they discussed plans for the organization, including expansion into other regions of the world and implementing collaboration projects. It was exciting to hear that the company is expanding globally at a fast rate. Many of their newer design projects will coincide with the expansion. Because some tasks will be more involved, they want interns and other designers to work together. Recently, I was assigned a task with another intern, but after reaching out to her, I did not hear back. I plan to send her another message later today. I am looking forward to working with her, and I hope she replies to my following email.

Because the internship was virtual, I did not meet many other people affiliated with the organization. For the most part, work was executed independently without insight from other designers. However, my direct supervisor is someone I consider a role model. She is a high school student who lives on the other side of the world. She presented herself as professional and caring. She ensured that the tasks assigned to me were joined with excellent written instructions and samples. She was gracious with feedback and always expressed her gratefulness for the time I put into the projects I created. She is the sort of worker I strive to be when I am supervising others. I recognize how her positive and supportive mindset made me feel, and I want others to feel that too. There is nothing better for me than feeling valued at the job and knowing my work is making a difference. That is the kind of supervisor I desire to be in the future.

When I eventually decide to part ways with the organization, I will send a thank you note via email to the Chair and supervisor. I want them to understand how appreciative I am for the opportunity to work with them this summer. I will include specific accounts of how their efforts helped me succeed. I want to leave things on a good note in the event there is another opportunity with the organization in the future or if they have a recommendation for another work opportunity. I also plan to add the organization to my résumé, and if another employer calls on my behalf, I hope they will give me a good recommendation.

Thank you for reading my posts and for your insight and comments throughout the semester. The best to each of you! -David Goldstein