Ethics Entry # 2

Throughout my academic career and personal life as an illustrator and digital designer, I know that most forms of art are essentially derivative in nature. When using references to create an illustration or design, I would give proper credit to the owner of the original piece. Unfortunately, more often than not, I have seen many individuals who did no such thing. To protect illustrators and graphic designers, most if not all social media platforms provide creatives with a DMCA option, limiting the spread of creative theft online. 

However, more often than not, when someone reposts an image or illustration, the artist is not given proper credit nor did the person receive permission to repost. It becomes significantly discouraging when the reposted image receives more recognition than the original post. In addition to this, some individuals and even companies will market and sell these designs with no authorization or retribution towards the artist. This is especially common on the internet on websites such as Redbubble, Society6, Esty, TeeSpring, and many more.

For most illustrators and designers, receiving credit is not solely about fame but rather, being acknowledged for the endless amount of hours and hard work poured into an image or illustration. Proper credit is simply about recognizing one’s dedication, providing visibility to those who can change their hobbies into creative careers. This is proven to be the case numerous times as many creatives start to receive employment through mass sharing with proper recognition.

After reading the Shepard Fairey Copyright Case, it definitely illustrates the importance of licensing rights when an image or illustration gains traction online. Back then and especially nowadays, buying an official license is essential to prevent creative complications regardless of personal or commercial use. In my opinion, the copyright cause seemed fair since Mr. Fairey did not have to pay any retribution for the AP Image. The case was settled with him and the organization splitting the sales made from merchandise, while retaining recognition from the illustration he created using their photograph.