Aural Topographies: Critique

To be honest when I first heard that we were putting music and art together I got scared. The first thing on my mind was how difficult it would be. It wasn’t until we did an inclass experiment that I was beginning to understand how easily drawing with sound can come to you.

When it came to drawing  staccato and legato pattern squares I enjoyed myself to a great extent. I was surprised that I came up with many ideas and I even had more! My other classmates had unique and beautiful pattern squares also. I always feel that I do better  when seeing someone elses work or when I get advice. My peers give me great inspiration and that is something I am thankful for.

Trying to figure out which pattern square went well with one another  was a challenge for me. They all seems great individually so I often felt that putting a few together would be too much. Eventually I was able to make 3 of the patterns work. As you can see from my previous posts I made a quick mashup sketch, another sketch with just black marker, and then the final which was in pen. I am a true believer in practice makes perfect.

The Gif and popcorn maker  experiment also  a challenge for me.  I ran into so many problems. Creating the Gif was easy but when I had to add the music it was frustrating. No matter how hard I tried it didn’t look unified or it sounded bad. Eventually, after convincing myself that it was just an experiment, I felt that what I had was good enough. Then I had trouble with the link. Unfortunately I couldn’t post my popcorn maker mashup  but I am glad it was saved and could be accessed when logged in.

Overall this project was enjoyable and interesting. Even though it was a bit challenging and out of my comfort one, this project has given me a chance to gain a new perspective on art and music. I now am interesting in animation and maybe making my own remix cd just for fun! 🙂