A View From My Window: Critique

In this project I have learned many things, not just from the teacher but from the students as well.  I get inspired when I look at what my classmates have made because it allows me to gain ideas, learn new techniques, and etc.  I believe the most difficult part of this project for me was understanding the word ambiguous. I know that it is when your eye shifts back and forth from the figure and ground and you are unsure which is the figure and which is the ground but when I actually tried to make my ambiguous drawings it truly looked as though it was stable. For example my inked thumbnail with the heart shaped spiral. Others believed that it is ambiguous while I believed it to be stable because that’s how it looked through my eyes. Even right now I am still unsure.

Although i loved this project, I really didn’t see much  improvement with my work as I would’ve liked. One of the things I know I have to improve is managing my time and paying more attention to balance and detail. I also believe I should have spent more time in my finalized cut outs. I found it difficult to grasp any connections or feelings into my work. It was also a bit messy with the glue. I know that next time I will think more about meaning, detail, balance, and of course neatness. In my own separate art book I will continue to make figure/ground drawings to improve.

One thought on “A View From My Window: Critique”

1. I think we all have this skeptical feeling with our work. I know I do. But I honestly think your work was over all great. I felt you could’ve improved you ambiguous thumbnails so that we can really distinguish between the black and the white in the sketch. I think the best way to see if your figure and ground have a 50-50 relationship is if you imagine you pouring the black in a cup and the white in a cup and imagine if the they would be the same amount. Overall your cutting was great and you drawing are really nice. Good luck!