Graduation and beyond…

By Farjana Shati:

Finally, the exams are over now. I am excited for my graduation which is just around the corner. Similarly, my term as first CUNY Youth Ambassador is also coming to an end. It is a bittersweet feeling as I am reminiscing about the past few months and the experience I have gained during this role. 

The CUNY Youth Ambassador position gave me the opportunity to voice out my passion for education. It opened new doors for me to build awareness on quality education and engage the City Tech community on issues that should matter, especially on a campus as diverse as ours. My role as CUNY Youth Ambassador also armed me with the language and vocabulary I needed to interact and talk about global education issues with people from all walks of life. I believe that I served the world that was within my reach by allowing my fellow classmates, students, professors and friends the space and place to voice their opinions, perspectives, and their takes on SDGs, quality education, and gender equality. The numerous interactions and conversations I often recall still spark more passion within me. My role as CUNY Youth Ambassador will be an ongoing cherished memory. 

As I plan my next move and lay the ground floor for the next chapter of my life, I will continue growing into ambassador role the CUNY / UNESCO Partnership Program trusted me with. I am a young minority woman who wants to advocate and amplify the importance of quality education and the echo it has on sustainable development and a sustainable future.  Before I sign off as the CUNY Youth Ambassador for 2018, I would like to thank  the program directors, Prof. ElHitti and Prof. Bonanome. I had the privilege to have them as mentors and role models, and to be part of this great initiative which challenged me to grow beyond my academic skills, to be courageous and to take part in something larger than my comfort zone. Thank you!