1. In your own words, explain the difference between a parser interactive fiction game and a choose your path interactive fiction game.
A parser interactive fiction game is a game where the game presents the player with a chunk of text and an option to type in commands. The player can type in a command to tell the game where they want to go next, where they want to explore, what to do next, etc. In response to the player’s commands, the game will tell the player what happens as a result of their command.
On the other hand, choose your path interactive fiction game is a game where the game presents the player with a chunk of text and different choices. The player must choose one of these choices to proceed through the story. Their choice will affect how the story will progress either in a positive direction, negative, or neutral direction.
2. Name an example of a parser game.
Hitchhiker’s Guide to The Galaxy the Game.
3. Name an example of a choose your own path game.
The Ace Attorney Series
4. Why does she say interactive fiction virtually died out in the mid-1990s?
Interactive fiction virtually died out in the mid-1990s because Infocom, the company that makes interactive fiction games, was brought by Activision. Later on, Activision will go on and shut down the Infocom division thus ending interactive fiction.
5. Why does she say poetry is an important element of interactive fiction writing? What example does she use?
Poetry is an important element of interactive fiction writing because in a game where there are only words, poetry helps make these words powerful to give the players a strong image. An example she uses is “with those we love alive.”
6. Why does she say that ambiguity is not only unavoidable but also necessary?
Ambiguity is unavoidable because it is not possible to cover every detail. It is left up to the player’s imagination to fill up the missing details. It also can be used deliberately so that the developer can choose which details to omitted and which one to put in. This is decided where you want player imagination to actively fill in the gap. Ambiguity can also be use deliberately so that the player is require to interpret what is currently happen and they have to act on their interpretation.
7. What’s important about complicity?
Complicity is important because it makes both the player and the game interact. The game will present the player with a choice that matters in the game. What the player do in the game will have big consequences later on in the game.