- In your own words, explain the difference between a parser interactive fiction game and a choose your path interactive fiction game.
Parser interactive fiction game is an adventure game without graphics and is a story telling game. Choose your path interactive fiction game is a game book where they give you different choices that you can pick. This is also more suitable for kids.
- Name an example of a parser game.
An example of parser game is Zork I.
- Name an example of a choose your own path game.
An example of choose your own path is Sugarcane Island.
- Why does she say interactive fiction virtually died out in the mid-1990s?
Interactive fiction virtually died out in the mid-1990s because of competitions like the annual IF Comp which resulted in artistic innovation.
- Why does she say poetry is an important element of interactive fiction writing? What example does she use?
Poetry is an important element of interactive fiction writing because in the games words are all that is used and the right words have strong meanings. The example she uses is from “with those we love alive.”
- Why does she say that ambiguity is not only unavoidable but also necessary?
Ambiguity is not only unavoidable but also necessary because there is not enough space in a game for all of the details like texts and graphics and that is when the player fills it in with their imagination.
- What’s important about complicity?
Complicity is important because in an interactive fiction game the goal is to have the player interact with the story.