Introduction

My name is Christopher Ramos.

I am currently working on attaining my Bachelors of Science in Nursing from New York City College of Technology. School is a large part of my life, but it isn’t all that I do.

In my spare time, I like to do various athletic activities such as riding my bike around NYC or doing calisthenics in the park. This may seem unrelated to my career as a nurse, but it is. I want to be a big advocate for prevention as a nurse, and one of the biggest ways of preventing various diseases is through exercise. Increased physical activity is proven to decrease a person’s risk of certain types of cancers, osteoporosis, type 2 diabetes, depression, obesity and high blood pressure. This evidence alone isn’t enough to convince some patients, though. This is because, it is hard to advocate for something if you don’t practice it yourself. After all, who’s going to want to listen to an out of shape person telling them to exercise? Thus, I plan to continue my athletic hobbies as a practicing nurse, not only so that I stay healthy to better serve my patients, but to serve as a good example for them to maintain their health.

Another thing I am passionate about is working with my hands. I love tinkering with various forms of technology whether it be primitive or advanced. Some random things I’ve done recently include installing water-saving toilets in my house, renovating a rusty vintage bike to use as a daily-commuter, and building a gaming computer for my sister using cheap used parts. Again, this might seem unrelated to nursing, but I find it relevant. Nursing is all about working with your hands. While doctors might be the ones ordering interventions, we are the ones carrying them out. We are the ones initiating IVs, suctioning patients on mechanical ventilators, and changing patients’ wound dressings. Thus, nursing requires a love for hands on work. I plan to apply my passion for hands on work in my practice and apply my love for tinkering to look for ways to improve processes or technology in healthcare.