Post your Court Observation assignment HERE!

Hello Students!  Please post your “Court Observation” assignment as a reply to this post!  If you attended our visit to the EDNY on Thursday, Nov. 17, please post it by the start of class Tuesday, Nov. 22.  If will If you attend a court proceeding on your own, please post your response by the start of the next class after your observation.  Please see the assignment for information to include.  It’s OK if you can’t provide all the details requested, particularly if you attended the group visit — tell us as much as you can, but the most important part is your personal reaction to your experience (second to last bullet point).  Please provide lots of detail on that!  I will ask each of you to speak briefly about your experience in class Tues. Nov. 22, or after you complete your own court observation.

Happy observing!  KC

17 thoughts on “Post your Court Observation assignment HERE!

1. My court observation was on Thursday, November 17th, 2022. We went to the court of the Eastern District of New York as a group to watch the sentencing of Donnell Russel, the case is USA V. RUSSELL, and the judge was Donnelly. In this case a victim of R.Kelly (a rising hip hop star) filed a civil lawsuit that could damage his career to which Donnell Russell (Kelly’s manager) decided to try to prevent the lawsuit by harassing and threatening the victim whose name we do not know. Donnell harassed the victim countless times and threatened to post nude pictures of the victim if she did not stop the lawsuit, this went on for over a year. Besides that, Russell also did a gun threat to stop a documentary about R.Kelly’s victims to keep them from talking. After listening to this, Judge Donnelly sentenced Russell to 20 months in prison.

During the observation I was really engaged and even though I entered the room with no information about the case it was clear that Mr. Russell had committed criminal acts. I really liked how professional the federal lawyer was. Something I noticed was that Russell’s lawyer had created a defense for him, but because Russell talked so much that made him look more guilty, it was clear he felt no remorse for the victim but instead he felt sorry for himself. I have always been interested in criminal law, but this case made me realize that there are situations that are very complicated and anything the client says can be taken against him. I imagine that would be difficult for a lawyer and a paralegal, but I think when I have more experience in the future as a paralegal, I would like to work for a criminal defense lawyer, although my first option is still injury law.

2. On November 17, 2022 we attended Doe V. Russel’s court case as a class in the Eastern District of New York’s federal court. The judge in attendance was Ann M. Donnelly. Donnell Russell, was rapper R Kelly’s ex manager; who’s job at the time was to figure out why the rapper was losing so much money. Donnell Russell found out it was because of the 52 lawsuits that were being filed against him, so he basically was trying to get all the plaintiffs to drop their law suits. Since Jane Doe, (a proven victim of R Kelly) did not drop the case; Donnell Russell kept threatening and harassing Ms.Doe and her mother before and after legal actions were served. I did a little more research on the case and found out that Donnell Russell pleaded guilty for a second time and ended up getting 20 months in prison.

This was my first time observing a court case. I really appreciate the opportunity, it was definitely a learning experience. I realized the defendants lawyer was  bringing out background info on Russell’s life such as having kids, him growing up without a father figure and being a successful business man, which isn’t really relevant to the case. This was upsetting because no one deserves to be silenced when speaking their truth.

Source I used for more info : https://www.justice.gov/usao-edny/pr/defendant-sentenced-20-months-prison-stalking-r-kelly-victim-and-her-mother

3. My court observation was on Thursday, November 17th, 2022. As a class, we went to see Jane Doe v. Russel in federal court in the Eastern District of New York. The defendant, Donnell Russell, who describes himself as Kelly’s manager, counselor, and friend, harassed and threatened Jane Doe and her mother after Jane Doe filed a civil complaint against R. Kelly. On November 17, 2022, in federal court in Brooklyn, United States District Judge Ann M. Donnelly sentenced Donnell Russell to 20 months in prison for his participation in a scheme to harass, intimidate, and cause substantial emotional distress to Jane Doe, a victim in the Eastern District of New York.

I was very happy to attend this hearing. It was my first time in court, and it was a very interesting case to listen to, but also unsettling. The case honestly had me stressed out from the phone call to Jane Doe’s mother and his lawyer, who I believe was working hard to make him look good. I believe he deserves a longer sentence for the trouble he caused to Jane Doe and her family. Criminal law looks very interesting but I don’t know if I would partake in it but I’m willing to give it a try but I don’t see in my future.

4. My Court Observation was on Thursday November 17, 2022. The case I observed with my peers was Jane Doe V Russel in a Federal Court in the eastern district of New York in Downtown Brooklyn. Judge Ann M Donnelly was ruling over the case. The U.S.A were representing the Jane Doe while the defendant, Mr Russel was represented by his own counsel. The case was about Mr Russell allegedly Harassing and threatening Jane Doe and some of it was through social media. The defendant had already pleaded guilty to this in a different case.

The case started with the court trying to get in contact with the plaintiffs mother but it kept on failing. Eventually we heard her statement and her side of the story and the governments recall of events. Then the defendant was given a chance to tell his side of the story and kind of redeem himself because the other side mentioned a lot of things which made me question his character. He made the case about R Kelly when it wasn’t. In all watching the case was fun as an audience but I don’t think I’m built to do anything in the criminal law field or maybe I am

• My court observation was November 17, 2022 at the Federal Court in the Eastern District of NY. As a class, we watched Jane Doe v. Russell, in which Mr. Russell had stalked, harassed, and threatened Jane Doe and her mother.

It was interesting to see and hear both parties, and their attorneys, speak about the crimes that had occurred. Everyone involved was extremely patient and professional. In the beginning when the court was trying to contact the plaintiff, there was an issue with the connection, in which it took a while for the hearing to begin. When the call was finally connected, Judge Donnelly, as well as the attorney’s were very patient with the plaintiff and let her tell her story fully without any interruptions. Time later, after all other parties finished talking, the defendant provided his side of the story. Instead of going along with the image his attorney had created for everyone in the room, the defendant began blaming R.Kelly for many of the events prior to what he pled guilty to. While we didn’t get to hear the sentencing first hand, we later found that the defendant was sentenced to 20 months in jail. This court trip was interesting but after witnessing this, I very firmly believe that criminal law is not for me and that I do not want to be associated with it in any way.

5. My court observation was on 11/17/22 at the US district court of the Southern District in Brooklyn New York. We went to this court proceeding as a class. The case was Jane Doe vs Russel and was being heard before Judge Donnelly. I didn’t get much names but I did see The attorney for the government, as well as a representative from HSI and one from the Department of Corrections. They were proudly representing the victim, Jane Doe. Mr. Russel had a lawyer himself who sat right next to him the entire hearing. The proceeding was a sentencing, with Mr. Russel pleading guilty to harassment of one of Robert Kelly’s victims. The victims mom had called in to give a testimony, where she said that Mr. Russell had been spreading false information about her daughter and was degrading her entire family. The government was fighting to give Mr. Russel the maximum sentence. Mr. Russell and his lawyer attempted to gain lenience from the judge by blaming his actions on Mr. Kelly. I thought that the whole trial was very interesting just because it stemmed from a much larger case. I also found it cool to see that Agents from HSI were there to see justice served after investigating the allegations. It makes me want to get into this field even more because it shows how you can really help people get justice.

6. The day of my court observation was November 17, 2022, a Thursday. The case I was watching was in a federal court in downtown Brooklyn’s Eastern District of New York. Judge Ann M. Donnelly was in charge of the proceedings. Rapper Donnell Russell served as the defendant. R Kelly’s former manager was in charge of the R Kelly case and was losing a lot of money as a result. The case concerned how he decided to try to stop the lawsuit against his clients by intimidating and threatening the plaintiff into dropping the case if she did not do so. Donnell threatened to publish the victim’s naked photos online. In addition, Russell decided to speak out live on YouTube about the plaintiff’s daughter in an inappropriating way. Following the hearing, Donnelly Russell received a 20-month prison sentence. I personally hoped he would get more.

That was my first hearing and courtroom experience. The case was interesting, I’ll admit, but there was a part with the prosecution that I found frustrating because they couldn’t get her on the phone and the defendant didn’t understand the situation he was in, blaming others for his wrongdoing while the attorney tried to make him look like one of those good guys, but he represented himself as a real criminal. The sentence he received is too light because he should experience the same suffering that he caused other people to endure.

7. The day of my court observation was 11/17/22. The case I watched was Jane Doe VS Donnell Russel at the Federal Court In Downtown Brooklyn NY. I think this case was very interesting. I definitely think there was a lot going on between getting the victim on the phone and the defendant talking on and on, not really taking accountability for his actions.

8. My court observation was on November 17, 2022, at the Federal Court in the Eastern District of New York. As a class, we watched Jane Doe v. Russell, in which the defendant, Mr. Russell, allegedly harassed and stalked plaintiff Jane Doe and her family, both online and in person. The plaintiff is now suing for intentional infliction of emotional distress and seeking remedies. This case was addressed by Judge Ann M. Donnelly, who sentenced defendant Mr. Russell to 20 years in prison for harassing and stalking the plaintiff and her mother, who is a victim of R. Kelly. Mr. Russell was a manager, advisor, and friend of R. Kelly, and he knew his intentions and admitted to his wrongful actions in court.

During this court observation, my own experiences were very interesting considering it was my first time ever being in a Court, let alone hearing a case that I know and heard of that includes R. Kelly was a bonus excitement. Knowing the background information pertaining to this case, in particular, assisted me in understanding what was happening to someone who was an ex-manager of R. Kelly and fully understood his intentions as well as the consequences that would result from his actions of harassing and stalking the plaintiffs. I think his getting 20 months was reasonable because he did claim guilt, which helped him out. I hope that the plaintiff’s family gets compensated for their emotional distress. After this experience, I now know how real it can be. All these years, my knowledge of courthouses and cases has come from TV shows and movies; the reality is completely different. Maybe one day I’ll be the one sitting with all the lawyers instead of watching from those benches. This experience has motivated me to work towards that goal.

🙂