Reviewed Cultural Source

Identification:

Title: A Time To Kill

Based on Book by: John Grisham

(Book Published in 1989)

Movie Directed By: Joel Schumacher

Summary of the Story:

As stated in the beginning of this assignment, “The movie takes place in a period where racism still existed and courts were still biased. A poor Black family living through a time like this has suffered a lot, but they’re pushed over the fence when their daughter, 10 Year Old Tonya Hailey, was raped and beaten by two local problematic white men (not surprised). At that time, Carl Lee Hailey (started by Samuel L. Jackson), wanted justice for his daughter but knew if he even had a fighting chance of his own, needed support from a reputable White Lawyer, Jake Brigance; who eventually became closer to the family.”

How the story portrayed legal concepts addressed:

Based off of everything learned during this semester, and reviewing different concepts of law, I believe this story portrayed a variety of different concepts, as well as laws. One of the biggest things to be stated about this story, is how it portrays one of the biggest issues faced in the world, especially for Black individuals, which is racial discrimination. During this court case, there was clear racial bias towards the rape victim, Tonya Hailey, and her family. Even with clear evidence and a variety of different individuals speaking out, even with representation of one of the best white lawyers, the judge was not convinced in favoring the case in Carl Lee Hailey’s favor. It is sad to say during the movie, there we no shame within the higher powers either, and it is also  is important to note that these are issues that we still face, if not more common, in the present as well. Another concept seen is the structure of the court system during the entirety of this case. Carl Lee had to first find a lawyer, in which he did, but had to later file a motion to change the jury, and judge due to the history of the judge, and obvious bias towards him and his family. With that, the case went through different sectors of the court system. With the structure, it showed a clear reflection that there was no decency, and still not any, in cases like these, and similar.

Reaction:

Personally, I firmly believe that, “A Time To Kill”, touches base on some of the most important issues faced not only in the past, but currently as well. It has affected my view of law, and the legal profession in general, because it showed me how nauseating some people, courts, and human beings can be in some of the worse situations I can fathom. With this story, the fact that the little girl got raped, and these grown, incompetent and racists adults still managed to be racist and disgusting, treating it as something that wasn’t that serious; it’s something that is beyond me. With that, it made a huge spark in me and awakened something in me, a fuel, a passion to make a difference, a change and use my growing knowledge to one day, manage to bring justice to those in similar, or different situations as well. It is sad to say humanity will never show progress if there is no shift from the close minded, and old ways of thinking, and the inability to see one another for something other than race. “A Time To Kill” covered many of the points, making it the best option for me to have chosen, and one of the best movies I’ve watched.