Annoying Ways People Use (Legal) Sources!

A. What I learned from Stedman’s essay that I might apply to my use of legal sources is always having a quotation starter before putting the quote that way I am introducing the person or article I’m quoting for. For example if I were to quote the CPLR § 3020 (a), I would say, “According to the CPLR § 3020 (a) …” Another example was when I used a law journal article to talk about environmental law and how it ties to climate change. The article in Inara Scott’s section she discusses environmental law and how the genre is changing to common law. Scott states, “Most definitions of “environmental law” describe statutes and regulations that govern how people interact with the natural environment–the “natural environment” in this context being nonhuman species, plants, and natural resources.4 Environmental law is also generally understood to include pollution control and management of public lands and natural resources.” What I did here was introduce the quote by giving context as to what I am quoting, after that I used the authors surname because I cited the source in APA format, finally I put the quote.

Link to why I used last name (read paragraph 3!): https://guides.library.nymc.edu/c.php?g=567729&p=3914572

B. A quotable from my legal source entry is, “Commons law must be broad, diverse, and big enough to contain seeming contradictions. It must recognize that creation of sustainable communities includes economic activity and must include, or even focus on, the regulation of this economic activity. It must address the governance of corporations that control the majority of global resources and threaten global ecosystems.17 It must also recognize the value in nonhuman species, biodiversity, and the preservation of spaces that are free from human development.” (Section I Inara Scott Page 3 Paragraph 8) The environment in the United States changes rapidly there are impacts and visibility of climate change around the world. However, in the future that is not so distant there are potential, existential threats that are making way for an unsettling planet. I used the “Dating Spider-Man” guideline in Stedman’s essay because it has the approach that I often do which is starting a paragraph with a quote. Stedman said, “An annoyance that’s closely connected to Armadillo Roadkill is the tendency writers sometimes have of starting or ending paragraphs with quotations. This isn’t technically wrong, and there are situations when the effect of surprise is what you’re going for. But often, a paragraph-beginning or paragraph-closing quotation feels rushed, unexplained, disjointed.” He’s putting emphasis on the fact that when writers put a quote in the beginning or at the end of the paragraph the reader gets confused at to why the quote is there without analysis. Stedman is comparing this scenario to Spider-Man that if he were on a date, he’d say something interesting, then hears something from afar, and he’s gone without notice.