Legal Source Entry

My analysis question is about how a soldier fights with him in self? I am interested in this query because I noticed that being a soldier it’s not simple. 

Mahoney, Kara. “WHOSE CHOICE? PSYCHOTROPIC MEDICATION AND THE ARMED FORCES.” Whose Choice? Psychotropic Medication and The Armed Forces Kara Mahoney, Kara Mahoney, 2013, winter, weblaw.usc.edu/students/journals/rlsj/issues/assets/docs/volume22/Winter2013/3.Mahoney.pdf. 

In this Legal article called who is the choice? Psychotropic medication and the Armed Forces. The soldiers encounter many obstacles while performing a Mission a Soldiers face a lot of health issues in every mission especially for a long-term mission they use medication that can help them stay alert and focused on the mission. A Soldier is trained To ignore every kind of situation that affects the mission however if a soldier can’t ignore his pain or health issues then he has to take some medication like a drug so he can stay active and perform his mission effectively.  As evidence, the author states that as evidence the author states that “ If mental health problems become impossible to ignore, there are pressures to quietly take psychotropic medications in lieu of any other mental health treatment, such as psychotherapy.4 There are also coercive pressures to take medications like stimulants to perform missions lasting twenty-four hours or longer”.They are for being a soldier it’s not easy however it takes a lot of courage and strength to be the one different person from all other than in the world.  

After reading this article I strongly agree with the author that the soldiers Suffer a lot not just on the battlefield although with their own selves as well for example as I read it in the article suffer a lot not just on the battlefield although with their own selves as well for example as I read it in the article “Walk into any of the larger-battalion-aide stations in Iraq or Afghanistan today, and you’ll find Prozac, Paxil and Zoloft to fight depression, as well as Wellbutrin, Celexa, and Effexor. You’ll see Valium to relax muscles (but also for sleep and combat stress) as well as Klonopin, Ativan, Restoril, and Xanax. There’s Adderall and Ritalin for ADD and Haldol and Risperdal to treat psychosis; there’s Seroquel, at subtherapeutic doses, for sleep, along with Ambien and Lunesta. Sleep, of course, is a huge issue in any war. But in this one, there are enough Red Bulls and Rip Its in the chow halls to light up the city of Kabul, and soldiers often line their pockets with them before missions, creating a cycle where they use caffeine to power up and sleep meds to power down.” Therefore as my research question being a soldier, is not being an ordinary person therefore as my research question being a soldier he’s not being an ordinary person. In addition, soldiers miss their family in addition soldiers miss their family and they can’t go back until they don’t perform their duties given by their country. The rhetorical factors that I learned in professor Hall’s English class are about genre like my purpose of writing this legal source and other genres about my research question are to spread awareness to the youth of this country so they know that being a soldier is not obvious. 

A quote that triggers me and it exemplifies the document claim  “ The military has acknowledged the problem and, as will be discussed, has made recommendations for dealing with the overmedication of its service members. Yet in practice, individual service members continue to bears the full weight of choosing to take care of their health while risking stigma and their careers, or choosing to hide their mental health concerns while risking their long-term health, their safety, and the safety of their fellow service members”. This quote explains that being a soldier is not easy it demands perfection strength courage this quote truly triggers me that what are soldiers what are the obstacles that a soldier face furthermore soldiers have to take pills medication so that they can restore their energy. And to sleep, they still have to take medication that will help them to sleep.