Hi guys!! I hope you had a great weekend! It was really great to meet you all *virtually* last week. Below are my updates for the week. It’s a bit of a read, but there’s a lot of important info, so I encourage you to go all the way through. As always, let me know if you have any questions! 🙂 Email: Ngozi.Okonkwo@mail.citytech.cuny.edu
1) National Voter Registration Day, Tuesday, September 22nd
Take action, join student leaders and volunteers to text peers, friends, family and others on your contact list encouraging them to register to vote.
Check out @citytechsld on Instagram for more information.
2) Voter Registration Panel + Discussion, Friday, September 25th
Promoting Voter Registration – Join us as student leaders and volunteers follow-up with a panel discussion to answer student questions about voter registration and absentee ballots.
It’s an event in collaboration with NYPIRG AND SGA – two organizations on campus that I would DEFINITELY recommend you, as future lawyers, get involved in. I am currently an SGA officer – I serve as a Senator for the School of Tech and Design- so feel free to ask me any questions about getting involved with SGA.
Check out @citytechsga on Instagram for more information.
3) CREAR FUTUROS Meet-up: This group meet-up will be about all of us getting to know each other and the resources CREAR has to offer as we embark together on this virtual/distance-learning journey together! All are welcome!
Tuesday 9/22 @ 12:30pm https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScymJfLMS8XkAJTO9tlSoHneAX5Bfg2iG8dPr8-MruDz47l7g/viewform
Thursday 9/24 @12:30pm https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdEoAztvRHZ08kqwVpoLtNavWlA039oTZpE98f2fb7ghA0Yng/viewform
4) CRITICAL INFO with NGOZI: Complete the Census!
The National Census closes on September 30th! Make sure you’ve been counted! (Also, enjoy this highly embarrassing info video that I made for you guys lol)
Fill out the census here: my2020census.gov
5) Student Life Sponsors: National Hispanic Heritage Month, MOVIE NIGHT
Thursday, September 24th @ 12:30PM
Feature Presentation: FRIDA
Check out @citytechsld on Instagram for more information.
6) Hispanic Heritage Month: September 15th – October 15th
Social Media Activities by @citytechsld
- APRENDE A HABLAR ESPAÑOL/Learn to Speak Spanish
Word of the Day
Tell us how you would use the word of the day in a sentence. Type the sentence out and #espanolwithcitytech or tag @citytechSLD
- HISPANIC HERITAGE TURN UP: A Bailar!
Turn up SLD’s Office Playlist by adding your favorite track #SLDturnup
- HISPANIC SPOKEN WORD POETRY CONTEST
Topic: Identidad (Identity)
To participate post your poem on your Instagram story. Be sure to tag @citytechSLD and include #identitycitytech. SLD will share all entries.
Voting will be done on Instagram. The winner will be determined through student votes. Students will vote by responding to SLD’s question sticker with the IG handle of the participant they thought had the best poem.
Prizes will be given for 1st and 2nd place.
7) Workshops from the Counseling Center. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for links to workshops.
- Getting Motivated to Study Adjusting to the changes of remote learning can heighten doubts and can compromise motivation. This workshop teaches skills to counter the expectations of failure. You’ll learn about the relationship between thoughts, feelings and behaviors; uncover the underlying beliefs that fuel negative thoughts and practice constructive alternatives to increase hopefulness and motivation. Wednesday 9/23 @ 2:30PM
- City Tech and Dealing with Diversity Racism, class, gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion are the many ways we are defined. How can we live and learn together during these difficult times. Thursday 9/23 @ 12:00 PM
- I’m Just Not a Math Person Math produces anxiety for more students than any other subject because of incorrect myths and counterproductive attitudes. This thinking causes poor exam performance and a reluctance to enter math related careers. This workshop will help you reduce your anxiety and misconceptions about math to improve your online learning experience. Wednesday 9/30 @ 11:00 AM
- LGBTQ+ Group Talk Drop-In Weekly forum for LGBTQ+ students to meet one another, discuss topics related to gender and sexuality, and offer mutual support. Mondays at 4PM
- Straight Up Talk About Racism A group that seeks to speak the truth about historical and present-day RACISM in all it’s form and it’s detrimental impact on our Country, State, City and Community. The group will develop coping mechanisms as well as introduce a Call to Singular and Collective actions to improve the educational, psychological, social and economical state of its members. The book, “CASTE” by Isabel Wilkerson and the life of Rep. John Lewis will be the guiding forces of this group. Tuesdays at 1PM
- Weekly Meditation Group Our lives can be difficult to manage during these times. Learn simply meditation practices to improve focus, reduce stress and moving forward toward your goals. Wednesdays at 3:30PM
8) Free Online Citizenship Classes for Green Card Holders
9) Campus Movie Fest Comes to City Tech! The world’s largest student film festival like you’ve never experienced it before. More info here.
10) Online Tutoring is Available for the following Math and Biology Courses: MAT 1275CO, MAT 1275, MAT 1375, MAT 1475, MAT 1575, BIO 1101 and BIO 1201. See Flyer for details on scheduling an appointment.
If you made it this far, congrats! Have a great week and let me know if you’re planning on going to any of the events!
Thanks Ngozi, WOW!! this is a lot of information, but I agree it’s really important! Especially VOTING which is particularly crucial this year for many reasons, including the recent passing of Justice Ginsburg. STUDENTS!! If you’re not registered to vote or you moved since your last registration, do it soon, the deadline is coming! Applications must be postmarked no later than October 9, 2020 and received by a board of elections no later than October 14, 2020 to vote in the upcoming election. Applications and other information are available at https://www.elections.ny.gov/VotingRegister.html — or Ngozi or I can help you! Prof. C.
Thank you, Prof. C.! I definetly agree – voting is SUUUUUPER important and I’m here if any students have questions about voting or how to register