Cultural Review

I’ve recently selected a movie, “A Time To Kill”, as my cultural review. This movie was based off the book by “John Grisham”, published in “1989.” A few years later in 1996, the book was turned into a successful movie which was directed by Joel Schumacher and was later nominated for several different awards, including Golden Globes, NAACP, People’s Choice and quite a few others.

The movie takes place in a period where racism still existed and courts were still biased. A poor Black family living through a time like this has suffered a lot, but they’re pushed over the fence when their daughter, 10 Year Old Tonya Hailey, was raped and beaten by two local problematic white men (not surprised). At that time, Carl Lee Hailey (started by Samuel L. Jackson), wanted justice for his daughter but knew if he even had a fighting chance of his own, needed support from a reputable White Lawyer, Jake Brigance; who eventually became closer to the family.

This movie displays the very issue we face even in the present, how Black individuals are often subjected to ill-treatment in court systems compared to their white counterparts parts prompting unethical reviews and panel of judges using bias against races to determine it’s overall outcome.

1 thought on “Cultural Review

1. Thanks Tevin! I saw this movie and read the book, I agree it raises issues that, sadly, are still highly relevant. I suggest (but don’t require) that you read the book in addition to, or instead of, seeing the movie because as usual the book is better! Either way, enjoy!
    Prof. C.