Greetings new students for Fall 2023!
IT professions rank high among the occupations expected to grow in the coming years. To enter any challenging computer-related field you will need flexible, future-oriented education that allows you to evolve with the field. The Computer Systems Technology Department offers three degrees: (a) an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Computer Information Systems, (b) a Bachelor of Technology (BTech) in Computer Systems and (c) a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Data Science. The department also offers a variety of computer courses for students in other curricula. Some of these courses are designed for students in specific majors such as accounting, telecommunications technology or legal assistant studies, while some are intended to provide computer literacy to students in any major. Here
Fall 2023 Connect Days:
Thursday August 31, 2023, 12:30pm-2:15pm.
NAMM Hall Room 920 & 921
Meet the Chair
Prof. Ashwin Satyanarayana
Welcome to the web pages of the Department of Computer Systems Technology. Here
Department mission statement
Our department offers two degrees, an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Computer Information Systems and a Bachelor of Technology (BTech) in Computer Systems. The AAS program prepares students for entry-level careers in computer programming, database programming, web programming, and systems/network administration and support; the BTech program allows students to further specialize in software development, networking and security, database management, or internet computing. The modular nature of the BTech curriculum allows students to gain a broad overview of IT applications and to specialize in areas of particular interest.
To better prepare our graduates for positions in the information technology industry, our department offers a combination of courses that integrate theory and hands-on experience. Our classrooms are equipped with computers for each student and all computers include both current hardware and sophisticated software. Our team of experienced and knowledgeable faculty frequently reviews and modifies our curriculum to reflect current trends of computer technology.
The Bachelor of Science (BS) in Data Science program is a synthesis of applied mathematics, high-performance computing, data management and analysis. The BS in Data Science program provides students with strong technical skills, critical thinking, and problem-solving abilities that are highly rated by companies in all fields, including but not limited to Finance, Programming, Education, Medicine, Biology.
- Database Administrators: coordinate changes to computer databases, test and implement databases applying knowledge of database management systems.
- Network and Systems Administrators: install, repair, and maintain complex communications equipment. Investigates and resolves communication problems.
- Systems Analysts: analyze user requirements, procedures, and problems to automate processing or to improve existing computer systems. They may design and develop new computer systems by choosing and configuring hardware and software, or they may devise ways to apply existing systems’ resources to additional tasks. The employment outlook is excellent. Job opportunities for analysts are projected to grow much faster than the national average.
- Software Engineers and Computer Programmers: write programs as well as tests them. Computer software engineering is projected to be one of the fastest growing occupations, adding the most new jobs. Projected job-growth outlook for computer programmers is positive.
- Computer Support Specialists: provide hardware and software technical support and assistance. Provide training to system users. Investigate and resolve computer software and hardware problems of users. Support current operating systems, and business application software. The employment outlook for this specialty is projected to grow faster than the national average.
- Web Developers: design, create, and modify Web sites. Analyze user needs to implement Web site content, graphics, performance, and capacity. An increase in jobs is expected in this specialty.
- Information Security Analysts: mitigate this threat, assess computer systems for areas of vulnerability, manage firewalls, and provide protection against intrusion and software “viruses.” The employment outlook for this field is excellent.
- Data Engineer: is data professionals who prepare the “big data” infrastructure to be analyzed by Data Scientists
- Data Scientist: is a professional responsible for collecting, analyzing and interpreting extremely large amounts of data.
- Business Intelligence Analyst: evaluates a company’s data, as well as industry data, to discover ways to improve their own company’s market position.
- Data Architect: designs the “blueprint” for organizational Data Management.
The Student Computer Club
The Computer Club is a student organization that provides a creative and safe learning environment where college students interested in computers and technology come together to explore their own ideas.
The club will plan and organize projects and activities, outside the classroom, with the purpose of enhancing technical skills and knowledge. It is designed to create an environment of team work, along with, enhancing interpersonal and social skills.
Members will get an opportunity to sharpen their skills in web designing, programming, creating video games, creating apps for phones, and creating multimedia presentations. In addition, guest members are invited to speak.