George Heisler Strange Image

In Gregory Heisler portfolio site of all the pictures he has taken. This one grabbed my attention the most due to a weird sense of small confusion. It was under the label “strange,” and when I stare at the image without thinking to hard or to long about it. It definitely has a sense of strangeness. In the image he only seems to be using two light sources, one being the moon to light up the world and the second being a man made light primarily on the subjects face which is a front light in this case, to expose it more than anything else. while the mans body is the darkest thing in the image. completely separating him from the grey snow around him.

The fact that the front light is only exposing his face is the strange part of the image because it sorta causes the face to look weirdly fake, and to add on to the strange side. The man clearly has a shadow of his body behind him on the floor meaning the light is hitting his body but somehow the body is still blacked out with no detail to show besides the outline showing the shape of his body. With only these two lights sources it also gives the background a eerie feel or a supernatural feel with the far distance and emptiness and how dark it is. Kinda makes it look abandoned or has if the man in the image lives in these huge empty acres all by himself.

This image gives me curiosity about everything in the image but also gives me a feeling that makes me never want to visit this strange huge empty farm like area at night.

One thought on “George Heisler Strange Image

1. rmichals

I love this photo. What you don’t mention is that this is Muhammad Ali. Heisler is shooting on location with one light. It is a hazy afternoon but Heisler underexposes the background to make it look like nighttime. We can do this later in the semester when we do off-camera flash. I think that is where the sense of strangeness comes from.