Inspiration Post: Yousuf Karsh & Nadav Kander

Yousuf Karsh was a Armenian Canadian photographer known for his portraits of important and famous men and women of politics.  His photography can be seen as strong and powerful because of the different sets of lighting that he used.  When shooting famous politicians you would want them to stand out and look just as important as they are and I think Yousuf really captured them that way. Through expression and props he shows that he really got to know his subject before capturing them in the moment.  The photo I chose from Yousuf is the photo he took of Pablo Picasso and in this photo I believe it shows exactly who Picasso is and what he believes is important to him. The lightning that he chose seems to be a broad lighting capturing a lot of the right side of Picassos face.  The vase with the women silhouette was a clever and key prop to showing off the artist that is Pablo Picasso.

Nadav Kander is a London based artist, director and photographer who is notorious for landscapes and portraiture.  When looking at this photographers work you’ll see that his photos captures a sense of personality from his subjects. The way the lights are utilized are interestingly and amazingly done.  Some of his photos give off a unorthodox feel where the subject is used in a way where you’ll leave being mesmerized and curious. The photo of Nadav Kander that I chose was the one with Sadiq Khan where the light is shadowing a bit of his forehead and chin boxing in his eyes and nose almost like Kander is trying to show how strong and bold of a personality his subject has.

When entering a new assignment after looking at Yousuf and Nadav I think I should focus on my subjects personality and try to match the lightning to the mood my subject is giving off.  Using a broad lighting set up can be good for people with a strong, bold and confident personality or a person with a soft side to them who are kind hearted maybe butterfly lightning or short lightning will be good for them.

One thought on “Inspiration Post: Yousuf Karsh & Nadav Kander

1. rmichals

In the photo you selected of Picasso I love how his head fits in the curve of the vase.

Broad and short light are only when the subject’s head is in a 3/4 view. Picasso is facing forward here. so it can’t be either short or broad light.

Sadiq Kahn is in a 3/4 view in the Kandar photo. This is a example of short light. the light is on the side of his face with the features.