- Date: Thursday, March 31st
- Meeting Info: ZOOM CLASS info below
To-Do Before Class
- Midterm Comics Reading Assignment! (It was DUE week 8!)
- WATCH: Jake Parker on The Anatomy of a Hellboy Story be sure to comment!
- Assignment 4 : Mini Comic – Post 6 different story ideas to the Open Lab (categorize as FINAL PROJECT)
Further Story Development
- To Practice Story and Character Generation Techniques
- To Practice Character Generation Techniques
- To Learn the Parts of a Story
- To continue to explore the ways words and images interact in comics.
PRESENTATIONS: Graphic Novel Review – 5 minutes each with Q&A
Remember to consider our CRITIQUE GUIDE:
- Story Structure
- Reading Order
Story Arc and Pacing: how to plan a sequential narrative.
CRITIQUE and Workshop Mini Comic Story Ideas & Work in class on the project.
- Out of your SIX ideas, Choose only 1 to fully develop into your final project. Save the others for later!
- A successful short story should feel like it comes to a satisfying conclusion within the 8 pages.
- Flesh out your story idea into a Rough Outline. This can be in paragraph form or in bullets, or loose sketches with words. All methods of writing are acceptable at this early stage.
- Consider the 5 W’s. Does your story have all 5?
- Next, create a Narrative Arc visualizing the action in your story. Does it have A beginning, a climax?, a conclusion?
- Using that Narrative Arc ass a guide, Pace your story to unfold over 8 pages.
Examples: From SCRIPT TO PANELS
Review Assignments and Expectations for Next Week’s Class
Due Next Week
Reminder: April 7th class is IN PERSON!
- Assignment 4 : Mini Comic:
BRING 3 PRINTED COPIES of the following to next week’s class:
Outline and your Draft Comics Script.
- 4/7 Out of your SIX ideas choose 1 to develop into your final comic.
- Write a Draft of your Script.
- Highlight the important BEATS of the story.
- (no need for thumbnails yet.)
- Script must be typed and formatted as a professional comics script. SEE SAMPLE
- Continue sketching visuals and characters in your sketchbook.
- Begin to look for references.
- Sketchbook Week 9
- Reading: Scott McCloud Understanding Comics: Chapter 8
Here is the Zoom link:
Leave a Reply