Honestly, what more do I need to say other than I love this book and the series it belongs to? But on a serious note, I really enjoy this book a lot. From the art style and use of color, to the story and the way that it can be completely relatable to its readers, and also the way that it leaves the door open for the rest of the series to come. For those who loved the teen titans series, Teen Titans: Raven by Kami Garcia and Gabriel Picolo, is a great new take on the story of the titans and also a lovely introduction for those who are now getting introduced to the group of young heroes in a form more grounded in reality.

As the first in the series and as the name implies, Teen Titans: Raven introduces and follows a young girl by the name of Rachel Roth (aka Raven), after she moves in with her foster mom’s sister, following a car accident which resulted in the death of said foster mother. Rachel who has had trust issues since young, moving from home to home, had problems adjusting to this new home, and new school life, however her foster mother’s family gave her the support that she needed as she slowly opened up to them. Eventually she starts to strangely feel feelings she hadn’t before, but soon finds out that they aren’t hers, but that she is actually an empath, feeling and hearing the thoughts of those around her.

Soon she learns that she is not the same as others her age and that she has special family circumstances, leading others to be after her for their own purposes.

In my opinion, it is a really good read for anyone that is into the hero genre but wants something more mellow and down to earth. While it does retain the fantasy/sci fi aspect, it still addresses some common problems in its own unique way and stays true to its source materials. The story flows immensely well and each character is very unique that makes you want more when you are done. Once I started reading it I didn’t want to put it down and actually finished it in one sitting along with the second book, Teen Titans: Beast Boy (which is also a great read). This is a must read for anyone who loves a coming of age graphic novel.