COMD3504 - Section OL69 - Spring 2022

Discussion 12

An Interesting style that caught my attention on social media recently, is the concept of cakes with flower details on it that makes them look like Flower arrangements. I love this new type of decorations on cakes that some people are doing because it is very artistic and it looks absolutely beautiful. I’m not sure where this trend originated from but I have seem these type of cakes on The Great British bake off show. I also found some famous cake designers that have been working on similar stuff; Paul Hollywood, Ron Ben-Israel and Buddy Valastro and more. I think that we will be seeing more of this trend because replacing the use of so much frosting on cakes by natural details, in this case flowers is a great and different concept and I am sure some people will imitate and make better, different, I do see people going for these type of cakes.

1. Ebony Derrick

I agree with you, I’ve noticed flower designs done with either edible flowers, edible paper, or frosting. I’ve noticed them to also pop up more in the recent season of The Great British Baking Show and a few other baking shows. I also believe that this will become extremely popular for wedding and birthday treats and sweets.

2. Yiqiang Wang

Hello, these cakes look very beautiful. I love it. In addition, I think the general name of this kind of cake should be Fondant Cakes. Fondant cakes refer to different decorations made of sugar and placed on the cake.
    I found that the history of fondant cakes is that in the 18th century, people put fruit and syrup on the cake in order to make the cake more delicious and beautiful. In the 1970s, Australians invented sugar with better ductility, so people began to use this sugar to make all kinds of decorations and put it on the cake.

3. Angela Iacono

I think these types of cake designs are really pretty and recently people enjoy the rustic and natural look of cakes. Also, Paul Hollywood and Buddy Valestro are well known bakers so I think you’re right that this style of cake decor will get a lot of attention and become a trend.