COMD3504 - Section OL69 - Spring 2022

Week 11 Discussion

1 I am a little interested in a magazine called Girl’s Life. it is an American teen magazine.
2 The way the girls dress, dress up, and the big smiles on their faces make me curious to open this magazine to see what’s inside about girls’ fashion styles, celebrity news, crafts, party ideas for having fun with friends, and advice on everything in girls’ lives
3 No particular design trends have been found yet. In recent years, their logo has become more concise form “girl’s life” to only two letters “GL”. The overall typography has also become more minimalistic.
4 I think these magazine cover designs can be perceived with the theory of Walter Gropius that we read earlier. These magazines document the lives and societies of girls. These journals are also closely related to linguistics and typography.
5 These magazines use different colors, fonts, and font sizes for emphasis, and really like to zoom in on the numbers
6 I don’t have a theory for the design I’ve chosen for the time being. I also need some searching and research to understand and create a new theory.

1. Prof. Matthew C. Lange

This could make for a really great presentation Chaochao! I’m sure that spending more time with the publication, and considering how some of the theories we’ve covered might be relevant will help to identify some trends, and also help to develop your own theory.

I would recommend thinking about the Stuart Hall article as well. You will probably find that this magazine actively tries to avoid the ‘racist ideologies’ that Hall addresses. But you might want to consider some of the ideologies that it does convey. For example, does Girl’s Life fight against some of the sexist ideologies that we find in popular culture? What sort of ideologies are conveyed?

From a design perspective you might also analyze the influence of modernist and postmodernist approaches to the content, and to the messages conveyed. Does the publication embody the ‘goodwill’ approach that Paul Rand speaks of? Or is it a little more ironic? One of the essays for next week, “Univers Strikes Back”, by Ellen and Julia Lupton should also be very relevant.

I hope this is helpful. I do think this magazine is a great point of focus.