COMD3504 - Section OL69 - Spring 2022

Maria Iacono – Discussion 11b – Final Presentation

1. I’m actually very interested in the art of floral design and how it can relate to graphic design and graphic design theories.
  2. Floral design has always intrigued me because it’s something I’m passionate about and I really appreciate the floral industry
  3. Maybe for floral design I can look into specific trends and how things were done. In floral design there a two styles in which you can follow, which are to put it simply the American style and the British style. Maybe I can explore that part of design within a certain time period.
  4. Floral design can be broken down much like how we broke down the grocery ad. The Rhetoric of the Image can definitely be applied when speaking about floral design, as well as a few other theories we’ve talked about.
  5. The Rhetoric of the Image was probably my favorite reading throughout this semester and I definitely think it can be explored more with my idea.
  6. Most likely yes!

1. Prof. Matthew C. Lange

This is very interesting idea, Maria. It sounds like you’ve got some very good material to work with.

The visual rhetoric of a flower arrangement could be a very interesting concept to explore. You might also consider the idea of flowers as media, in the sense that Marshall McLuhan uses that term. If “the medium is the message”, what does an arrangement say? I wonder if there are any contemporary floral designers that are particularly interested in the communicative power of their arrangements?

Or you could think about the presence of floral arrangements in different forms advertising. This could be in single ads for things like household cleaning products, or catalogs for home goods stores like West Elm or Design Within Reach, or maybe in Instagram ads. If you’re interested in investigating something along these lines I would recommend sticking to one or two companies or platforms.

I hope this is a helpful start. Let me know if you have any questions.