COMD3504 - Section OL69 - Spring 2022

Week9

Yiqiang Wang

The ad I picked was one of three that Yiqiang Wang discussed last week. In addition to the brand name, the most conspicuous is This Mother’s Day in the upper left corner. Immediately below is “get back to the job that really matters”. If there were only this one sentence, maybe the ad meant getting the cleaning product to the right place. But when combined with “This Mother’s Day” above, the ad’s meaning has changed. It turned into getting mom back to her job (housewife) on Mother’s Day. Cleaning has become a must-do job for the mother. It’s a failed ad because he’s teaching people that cleaning is something a mom has to do. But the truth is that household cleaning is something every member of the household is responsible for unless you move out of the household. It costs money to hire a cleaner outside, but Mom does it for free. Now some kindergartens have begun to assign homework for children to “do some housework within their ability” instead of saying “help mother do housework”. This is the correct guidance.

1. Ebony Derrick

I completely agree with you with the statement you made about a household should be cleaned by the members living in that living space. Just a mother doing “house chores” can be very stressful and doesn’t teach children to clean up after themselves. Some mothers also go to work and go home and go straight to cleaning and doing “house chores” which overwork and over stress mothers as well. Having everyone clean up after themselves or helping around with little chores in the home or having fun ways of having children clean up after themselves is a better way of guidance for sure.

2. Simonlei

My initial reaction based off of first glance I saw nothing wrong with the ad until I read the text. Definitely a “wow” moment for me. I didnt need to finish reading your response to agree with what you had to say.

3. Guen Fung

The text is something that is offensive today, but I felt like during the earlier years it is accepted by the norm. I am glad we are moving away from that kind of thinking and actions.

4. Faye Wang

I totally agree with your point of view that doing housework and keeping the house clean is the common responsibility and obligation of every family member.