COMD3504 - Section OL69 - Spring 2022

Angela Iacono-Discussion 4

Here is my designer manifesto

• Designers should put themselves first. I know it is important to always have the client’s best interest in mind and to put aside your own wants and needs however, without putting yourself first you will probably experience burn out. I think it’s important for designers to focus on themselves because they are the ones creating, coming up with ideas, dealing with client’s needs, and doing all the work and that can get stressful.
  • Designers should express themselves through their work. Unlike Rodchenko, I believe artists should use their skills for themselves, to create more personal designs or art, rather than solely using their skills for society. Designers need to express themselves, this will allow them to develop a style and something they are known for. Self expression gives the designer identity. Now that doesn’t mean ignoring the client’s wants and needs but to allow yourself to push your ideas and to show individuality.
  • If you’re only designing for others and not yourself it must be sad. I am an artist, I draw and take commissions. People then tell me what to draw and I get paid and they receive their art, it sounds great and is however, people constantly telling you what to do/design not creating your own art is draining. So, also design for yourself because it will make you happier.
  • Designers need to take breaks. Taking a break to recharge your batteries and relaxing shouldn’t make you feel guilty for not working. It is okay to kick back and relax and watch some tv or play video games or do whatever you want. Taking a break is important and if you don’t you’ll most likely be exhausted by work and possibly start resenting it. I know I would.
  • Don’t compare yourself and your work to other designers. It does more harm than good.
  • Adapt to new changes in technology in order to grow

1. Iqra Bhatti

Hello, Angela.

Excellent assertions. You made some excellent points concerning the design. Designers, need to take breaks. Because taking a break allows us to grab a bite to eat and get some fresh air as designers. To come up with new ideas.

2. Simonlei

Angela, im a big supporter of what you have came up with in terms of the balance between personal and professional. Being able to create what you personally like to make, ensuring time off and being involved with the community and business side of art

3. Lin Chao Chao

Yes, designers should have their ideas and unique styles. Instead of blindly designing things according to other people’s requirements. What’s the difference between that and a robot? Designers sometimes encounter bottlenecks, and it is difficult to design good designs. Then you need to go out for a walk and relax. My way of relaxing is to go on a trip with friends once or twice a year. Because the scenery I travel through can give me a lot of inspiration, and I can take a lot of photos.